Trek Rail - first ride

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

Trek Rail 9.8 with ultimate damper upgrade

I spent some time experimenting with setting it up yesterday. (Both tires running Cushcore) Sag at 25% PSI 220 (I weigh 205 lbs) not positive about the number of clicks of rebound about midway, however I turn it all the way up so I can see how slow it will rebound then start to reduce it until it come back a little beyond sag. So far I'm happy with it feels much like my Fox DPX 2, I'm not a big jumper but the small two foot drops I've done feel really good.
The forks I'm still working with. Compression wide open both high and low, but I reduced to sag to 20% Rebound at 5 out of 10 clicks and that helped the small bump compliance, (plushness). For tire pressures I use the squeeze test but in the teens someplace. I experiment with my suspension often, I'm just starting to be able to feel small adjustments, I think?

Cushcore is a marvel, allowing low pressure without squirm and I haven't had a flat since using them riding manmade rocky square edged obstacles several times a week

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
I had Rail 9 with ReAktiv shock for two days before buying Rail 7. IMO ReAktiv shock has a lot of free bleed and blows through too easily if you push the bike hard on decents. It has a lot of traction and feels plush when going slow. The RT shock in Rail 7 is more poppy but also more harsh.

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
I upgraded to Fox DHX2 which is plusher and allows faster rougher riding. I guess Super Deluxe RCT air would also be a very good shock for this bike. Trek Factory EWS team runs them on Slash which has very similar linkage.

zaykay

Dec 3, 2019
Finland
I have Charger 2.1 RC2 cartridge on my Yari with SKF seals so it’s basically Lyrik ultimate. My settings are HSC 3 clicks open from full closed, LSC 7 open and Rebound 7 open. 95 psi with two tokens. This is for 80kg rider.

Like a Boss

Feb 25, 2020
USA
High Rock Ruti

Trek Rail 9.8 with ultimate damper upgrade

I spent some time experimenting with setting it up yesterday. (Both tires running Cushcore) Sag at 25% PSI 220 (I weigh 205 lbs) not positive about the number of clicks of rebound about midway, however I turn it all the way up so I can see how slow it will rebound then start to reduce it until it come back a little beyond sag. So far I'm happy with it feels much like my Fox DPX 2, I'm not a big jumper but the small two foot drops I've done feel really good.
The forks I'm still working with. Compression wide open both high and low, but I reduced to sag to 20% Rebound at 5 out of 10 clicks and that helped the small bump compliance, (plushness). For tire pressures I use the squeeze test but in the teens someplace. I experiment with my suspension often, I'm just starting to be able to feel small adjustments, I think?

Cushcore is a marvel, allowing low pressure without squirm and I haven't had a flat since using them riding manmade rocky square edged obstacles several times a week
High rock ruti can you clarify, you are running the stock Rock Shock re:Aktiv rear shock with thru-shaft? And the ultimate damper upgrade on the lyric fork (you upgraded to Charger RC2)?

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
Anyone got anything bad to say about the RE:aktiv shock?
I didn't like it to start with, felt very firm and wooden.
But you have to dial in a lot less rebound than you think, then it's fine ?

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High rock ruti can you clarify, you are running the stock Rock Shock re:Aktiv rear shock with thru-shaft? And the ultimate damper upgrade on the lyric fork (you upgraded to Charger RC2)?

High Rock Ruti

My understanding (rembering that I take a bicycle out in the woods and try to fly through the air trying clear obstacles instead of hitting them)
is that the only difference between the Lyric on the 9.8 and 9.9 is the damper same for Fox fit 4 and grip 2. Someone may know better. Likewise that the rear shock on the 9.8 and 9.9 is the same and yes the stock rear shock Active with through shaft. I have seen forums of riders claiming that they were breaking rim's both aluminum and carbon as someone said about "blowing through the travel" with the active through shaft. I'm a light weight without the needed nerve to generate those kinds of "hits". So far I like the performance of the shock, so "keep on tuning"

Like a Boss

Feb 25, 2020
USA
High Ruck Ruti, I had to look on the UK Trek site. I'm in America and the bikes are not exactly the same. I'm about to buy a bike, but my local shop doesn't seem to want to sell at anyprice except full retail. I was thinking of paying more, but if the fork wants the RC2 Charger upgrade and the a better rear shock, maybe I'll just buy the lower priced model and spend the extra money on upgraded suspension. I have found that suspension is not a place to cut costs.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
I have Charger 2.1 RC2 cartridge on my Yari with SKF seals so it’s basically Lyrik ultimate. My settings are HSC 3 clicks open from full closed, LSC 7 open and Rebound 7 open. 95 psi with two tokens. This is for 80kg rider.

High Rock Ruti

Thanks for the setting numbers very helpful

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Ruck Ruti, I had to look on the UK Trek site. I'm in America and the bikes are not exactly the same. I'm about to buy a bike, but my local shop doesn't seem to want to sell at anyprice except full retail. I was thinking of paying more, but if the fork wants the RC2 Charger upgrade and the a better rear shock, maybe I'll just buy the lower priced model and spend the extra money on upgraded suspension. I have found that suspension is not a place to cut costs.

High Rock Ruti

I paid 8500 USD for the 9.8 with project one paint AXS? dropper the bluetooth one, and the upgraded damper 390 USD, bike came out to 9700 USD. BUT.......that was on a full refund on 2019 Turbo Levo S works with (count them) four failed S mag motors,so the bike shop definitely gave me a generous discount. I've heard that discounts on current year bikes are difficult to get. I'm sorry to say the following but; in these times of pandemic discounts are likely to be found with patience and peristance.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts

High Rock Ruti

Sorry should have also mentioned. I specifically did not want the wireless derailleur 700 USD to replace and I bust derailleur's at least once a year. Also skipped the carbon rim's after repairing a bent aluminum rim with a pair of pliers. The project one paint was on sale for 500 USD, couldn't resist, all I have to so is find someone name "High Rock Ruti" to sell it to used, so far I think this handles better than the 2019 Turbo Levo, just hope the Bosch motors last more than the 250 mile Brose's I enjoyed so so much

Like a Boss

Feb 25, 2020
USA
High Rock Ruti

My understanding (rembering that I take a bicycle out in the woods and try to fly through the air trying clear obstacles instead of hitting them)
is that the only difference between the Lyric on the 9.8 and 9.9 is the damper same for Fox fit 4 and grip 2. Someone may know better. Likewise that the rear shock on the 9.8 and 9.9 is the same and yes the stock rear shock Active with through shaft. I have seen forums of riders claiming that they were breaking rim's both aluminum and carbon as someone said about "blowing through the travel" with the active through shaft. I'm a light weight without the needed nerve to generate those kinds of "hits". So far I like the performance of the shock, so "keep on tuning"
High Rock Ruti

I paid 8500 USD for the 9.8 with project one paint AXS? dropper the bluetooth one, and the upgraded damper 390 USD, bike came out to 9700 USD. BUT.......that was on a full refund on 2019 Turbo Levo S works with (count them) four failed S mag motors,so the bike shop definitely gave me a generous discount. I've heard that discounts on current year bikes are difficult to get. I'm sorry to say the following but; in these times of pandemic discounts are likely to be found with patience and peristance.
There is a local Specialized dealer here where I live and they said they were about to offer discounts on the Levos, and I was set on a Levo. They are good bikes. But overall, without any discounts, the value is poor, even compared to the Rail. I seems most of the failures of the Brose motors are due to water and contamination? I don't know but there are more failures in the UK than in California, for example. Four times motor failure though, that's really something. So I'm leaning toward a Rail. I don't have much time to ride and I certainly don't have time to deal with failed motors. I didn't know you could get the AXS dropper on the 9.8....I think the AXS dropper is the best feeling dropper out. Really nice to use. Also, I heard the same thing about the people breaking rims with re:Aktiv, and that the Trek pros don't use re:Aktiv. So I don't know. I'm guessing they tune a shock for an average weight right in the middle, maybe 165 pounds (75 kg) kitted up? I'm 35 pounds heavier than that, you may be lighter. So that could be part of it. Some folks on this forum have put the Rockshox Super Deluxe (on an XL frame) and also a Fox coil spring. In any case, "keep on tuning". It's fun. And mtbs these days are really, really good when the suspension is set up. Incidentally, I have a $5000 bike that came with a Fox 36 with the Grip damper. I have tried everything to get that fork to feel good. But it just does what it does. Comfort is not a strong point. That damper simply does not compare to the Grip2, or even the RC2 before that. So for Specialized to put that fork on their $8250 usd Levo expert model, I'm just not going for it.

Like a Boss

Feb 25, 2020
USA
High Rock Ruti

I'm fine with pandemic discounts. There is no reason dealers shouldn't negotiate in good times, and now with uncertain times the more so. The consumer is the one who takes the risk on these bikes. $8000 for a bike and when you ride it a few times the value drops considerably, plus the warranty issue with a 2nd hand buyer. We buy these bikes with crazy prices and it's not easy to resell them for a decent price. I need to use my best skills to buy below retail. Not sure how it will play out.

Manicm

Apr 23, 2020
Birmingham
Rode mine for the first time yesterday, seems accidents are key first ride out, bike slipped on a greasy side road, somehow I took about 1cm of the handlebars off, no others scratches or marks so going with lucky on that one as could of been worse!

The bike itself is super planted there’s some rock gardens I ride, fall off, get stuck etc...but on the rail no problem! I tweeted trek telling them the bike is witchcraft they called it engineering, whatever it is it’s a great bike, riding my stumpy just won’t be the same again I thought that was a great bike funny how 24 months change!

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
My first ride on my new Rail didn't go so well.
I ended up in A&E after over shooting a jump and knocked myself out!
I was more worried about the bike though, crashed it with about 10 miles on it.
Luckily no major damage, just scuffed the top of the handle bar.

View attachment 24990
Ah, the danger of e-bikes that you don't hear about! It's easy to ride stuff a lot faster than you're used to, and sometimes faster than your skills are ready for!

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti
Congratulations on the new ride. I have 200 miles on my rail 9.8 and the scratched up custom paint, it was on sale for $500, never again! Loam Wolf just chose it as best all rounder (or some such designation). Really like the bike, I think it handles a little better than the 2019 S works levo, like the Bosche motor more especially if it doesn't break (4 Brose's in less than a thousand miles). Still unable to get the Lyric to be as buttery as the Fox 36 but I'm sure I just need a year or two to tune it...... You made me curious about the shock wiz?

Warm Regards

Ruti
Suburban Boston USA

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
Rode mine for the first time yesterday, seems accidents are key first ride out, bike slipped on a greasy side road, somehow I took about 1cm of the handlebars off, no others scratches or marks so going with lucky on that one as could of been worse!

The bike itself is super planted there’s some rock gardens I ride, fall off, get stuck etc...but on the rail no problem! I tweeted trek telling them the bike is witchcraft they called it engineering, whatever it is it’s a great bike, riding my stumpy just won’t be the same again I thought that was a great bike funny how 24 months change!

High Rock Ruti

I bought and brand new Orbea Wild FS Team, in the first two miles on the bike I was over the bars the bike landed hard on the left side, on rocks.....so much for new paint. Love the Orbea however, not sure if it's the Fox suspenders but it handles better than the Rail 9.8. Probably has to do with a more forgiving ride and my 65 year old body.

melmark

Dec 29, 2018
US
High Rock Ruti

I bought and brand new Orbea Wild FS Team, in the first two miles on the bike I was over the bars the bike landed hard on the left side, on rocks.....so much for new paint. Love the Orbea however, not sure if it's the Fox suspenders but it handles better than the Rail 9.8. Probably has to do with a more forgiving ride and my 65 year old body.
So did you have a Rail 9.8 before? I am currently debating Trek Rail 9.8 or new (2021) Commencal meta power which will have new Shimano E9000, 600+watt/hr battery and Zeb fork. But I also have Orbea on my radar.

So for all you Rail owners: apparently the "knocking noise" etc for the new CX motor was only a pre-production thing or is that a real issue?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles