Trek Rail Coil Shock Options

Pete_

Dec 2, 2020
Uk
Hi , Riding a Trek Rail 9.7 2020 and a little underwhelmed with with the performance of the standard RockShox Deluxe Rear Shock ( non piggyback reservoir) having come from Fox Float X2 on both previous analogue bikes...

Likes the idea of Rockshock Super Deluxe Coil - but after speaking to a guy on Pinkbike the shock reservoir hits the downtube on his XL Frame so guessing that is not an option.... who has an XL Frame? What options are you running.
Thanks ?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
XL Rail with DPX2 from 2021 Trek Slash. Different stroke, 230x62.5 but fits fine.

First third of travel is easy to blow through, could do with a tune but the Slash curve I guess is similar to the Rail so I’m just happy with it as it is at the moment.

Works out around 163mm rear travel now.

77E9EF8B-CD94-4B8C-A635-DA5AFBB438BC.jpeg

731921F5-81FD-4013-B56B-54F0D6B2624D.jpeg

Pete_

Dec 2, 2020
Uk
Hi Rob , thanks for that.... wonder if a Float X2 will have clearance on it.... bike looks ? thanks for the feedback

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
XL Rail with DPX2 from 2021 Trek Slash. Different stroke, 230x62.5 but fits fine.

First third of travel is easy to blow through, could do with a tune but the Slash curve I guess is similar to the Rail so I’m just happy with it as it is at the moment.

View attachment 51470

View attachment 51472

Maybe with a bigger spacer works better.

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada

View attachment 51470

View attachment 51472

how do you like the dpx2 compared to the RS?
And how do you like the additional travel?
Any tire/frame/rocker clearance concerns with that stroke?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
how do you like the dpx2 compared to the RS?
And how do you like the additional travel?
Any tire/frame/rocker clearance concerns with that stroke?
No issues with clearance that I’ve noticed but am on a DHR2 2.4”

It’s a lot more supple off the top. But to be honest I’ve not tested it enough to stress it. Only local trails.

Jamo

Jul 25, 2020
Fife
I tried a 230x65 2019 X2 on my large rail knowing it wouldn’t fit but to try and work out how close it would be so i could get the stroke reduced accordingly.

conclusion was i needed about 7.5mm to come off the stroke so would take it back down to the prescribed 57.5 stroke, but in the end even at that it felt a fraction too close for comfort.

now have a 2021 230x60 X2 due to arrive next week which i believe will fit with the 21’s shorter reservoir. We’ll see!!

9EA69A48-C478-410D-9480-A0FA58700721.jpeg

Ps Rob, is there a 4-digit fox ID on your DPX? If so stick it into the fox website and it will tell you the compression tune on the shock (CL = light, CM = medium, etc)

Pete_

Dec 2, 2020
Uk
I tried a 230x65 2019 X2 on my large rail knowing it wouldn’t fit but to try and work out how close it would be so i could get the stroke reduced accordingly.

conclusion was i needed about 7.5mm to come off the stroke so would take it back down to the prescribed 57.5 stroke, but in the end even at that it felt a fraction too close for comfort.

now have a 2021 230x60 X2 due to arrive next week which i believe will fit with the 21’s shorter reservoir. We’ll see!!

View attachment 51524

Ps Rob, is there a 4-digit fox ID on your DPX? If so stick it into the fox website and it will tell you the compression tune on the shock (CL = light, CM = medium, etc)
Cheers @Jamo Very useful to know.... on the X2 Clearance of lack of it.. ? just wish they fit hassle free....

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
It's very good, but I'm only comparing it to the low-end stock air shock. I might give a progressive spring a go in the summer, but right now there's no need.

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada

View attachment 51524

keep us updated on the 2021 x2 fitment.
I may consider one for my XL rail.

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
Coils that definitely fit:
EXT Storia V3
Push 11-6 SS
‘21 DHX2
Ohlins TTx 22 M series.
Fast Fenix.

Ive said elsewhere on here though, the Rail isn’t really progressive enough for a coil, without a hydraulic bottom out - even more so if you ride harder.

I ran both the Storia and 11-6 with quite a lot of compression damping to keep the shock up in its travel, on cruisey days it was fine, but pushing on and hitting corners harder it felt like it was way too deep in its travel - overshooting jumps was also a no no.

Gone back to an air shock, which is not my preference, as it loses that supple off the top feel, but it’s considerably more supportive everywhere else. I’m using something that started life as a DPX2 & was gutted to try something different inside. I wouldn’t bother with Float X2’s as I used to blow them up for fun, but if you must, I believe the ‘21 models now fit the L or above due to shorter piggybacks.

Pete_

Dec 2, 2020
Uk
Coils that definitely fit:
EXT Storia V3
Push 11-6 SS
‘21 DHX2
Ohlins TTx 22 M series.
Fast Fenix.

Ive said elsewhere on here though, the Rail isn’t really progressive enough for a coil, without a hydraulic bottom out - even more so if you ride harder.

I ran both the Storia and 11-6 with quite a lot of compression damping to keep the shock up in its travel, on cruisey days it was fine, but pushing on and hitting corners harder it felt like it was way too deep in its travel - overshooting jumps was also a no no.

Gone back to an air shock, which is not my preference, as it loses that supple off the top feel, but it’s considerably more supportive everywhere else. I’m using something that started life as a DPX2 & was gutted to try something different inside. I wouldn’t bother with Float X2’s as I used to blow them up for fun, but if you must, I believe the ‘21 models now fit the L or above due to shorter piggybacks.
Lots of useful info , thank You... I've always had a good run with Float X2 ( possibly been lucky as some friends have had nightmares with them ) which is why it is on the list... Will definitely look at kinematics and leverage curve...
Was your Storia custom tuned to the bike?

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
Yes, I run quite a heavy compression tune on my bikes in general - I race a reasonable amount and try to keep the ‘feel’ the same across all my bikes so it’s not weird swapping around & race pace Vs normal riding.

The Storia needed some work to fit anyway (smaller piggyback from the ARMA) when they did that we messed around with the tunes to try and get the mid stroke support without making it feel like crap with too much LSC.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
What do you mean blowing them up? Are they not that good or were you doing big big jumps etc? I'm hoping to swap my coil to one as they seem to be the only air shock available around here. They seem to be the stock shock on most of the higher specced off-the-shelf bikes.

I thought the X2 was one of the only shocks that fitted straight in without any hassle??? I might have to go back & read the other theads...

bluewater87

Jul 12, 2020
Canada
My previous x2 had to be serviced/fixed 4 or so times due to it having issues. Fox was without the parts for a few months on some occasions.

I had a ccdb air before that and it blew up 4 or so times as well.

Hob Nob

Jun 4, 2020
UK
What do you mean blowing them up? Are they not that good or were you doing big big jumps etc? I'm hoping to swap my coil to one as they seem to be the only air shock available around here. They seem to be the stock shock on most of the higher specced off-the-shelf bikes.

I thought the X2 was one of the only shocks that fitted straight in without any hassle??? I might have to go back & read the other theads...

Mostly cavitation issues, repeatedly happening. Most (non affiliated) suspension tuners don't rate them overly for performance, or reliability - citing a preference to the DPX2 being a 'better' shock to work with.

I haven't tried a '21 new version, but I have a friend who has 2 bikes, both with them, one a Factory, the other a Performance Elite (so, essentially the same shock), both of which have failed.

Railingit187

Feb 8, 2021
USA
as I was reading through this post I did not see anyone mention a RS Super deluxe ultimate air non thru-bolt mount. Has anyone tried mounting a super deluxe ultimate air and does it clear the frame when fully collapsed? I assume they do not since trek has to use the thru bolt design to raise the piggy back up for clearance.

Railingit187

Feb 8, 2021
USA
Does a progressive spring really work on a Coil shock? I love my air shocks on my other bikes, but now we are talking about a 50 lb. bike that is less playful, but still fully capable of sending it. Interested to know what some of you have to say about the coil shock on the Rail.

Thanks in advance

Ben saxton

Feb 18, 2021
Nottingham
Hi , Riding a Trek Rail 9.7 2020 and a little underwhelmed with with the performance of the standard RockShox Deluxe Rear Shock ( non piggyback reservoir) having come from Fox Float X2 on both previous analogue bikes...

Likes the idea of Rockshock Super Deluxe Coil - but after speaking to a guy on Pinkbike the shock reservoir hits the downtube on his XL Frame so guessing that is not an option.... who has an XL Frame? What options are you running.
Thanks ?
I had the same problem, so went for the fox dhx2 with a mrp progressive spring

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I used the existing aluminium bushings on the Rail 7 but you need to modify them. The DVO comes with top hat bushes in the shock eyes that are wider than the bushes in the Rockshox shock. I took 1.1mm off the length of each aluminium bush but you could trim the nylon bush that comes in the shock instead.

Gman086

May 11, 2021
Portland, OR
Hey sorry for reviving this thread, just want to know if you remember if you have to order new bushings to mount your jade x on a Rail 7. Just need to know the bushing size. Cheers!

You do NOT need to modify anything. Remove the existing shock pins and DU bushings from the OEM shock (using the PROPER tool) and reuse on the Jade X (replace the DU bushings if worn out). Also it would be a bad idea to grind off the IGUS bushing lips on those provided with the JadeX if you were to use those with modified tophats as Doomanic suggests. Personally I prefer the IGUS setup as they last longer but get the proper tophat spacers from DVO (come with o-rings that butt up against the IGUS busing lip that Doomanic said to grind off). DO IT RIGHT PEEPS and avoid premature creaking.

G Man tip of the day... you can swap the JadeX lever around 180 degrees (remove the screw while holding the lever) so as it won't hit your water bottle on the medium frames in Trail Mode (now it will be pointing straight down instead of straight up in Trail Mode).

Have FUN!

G MAN

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles