Trek Rail 7 upgrades

Stanpipe

Jun 12, 2020
Isle of Wight - UK
I’m also on a large frame. I’m 6’1” with a 33” inside leg. Still had about 40-50mm post above collar. Now running a 210mm One-Up dropper. Only just fits but made a huge difference.

Philly G

Subscriber
Jun 29, 2020
New Zealand
I’m also on a large frame. I’m 6’1” with a 33” inside leg. Still had about 40-50mm post above collar. Now running a 210mm One-Up dropper. Only just fits but made a huge difference.
Cool, if you can fit the OneUp 210 in your frame, the 185 BikeYoke will definitely fit mine ?The oneup is nearly 8mm longer

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
-- TranzX 07 - 150cm so I shouldnt change wire
-- brake pads h03c - change only, none modification
-- pedals specialized bennies platform
-- saddle specialized body-geometry ultra wide
-- grips comp -> elite
-- specialized zee cage ii side loading with bottle
-- bosch software upgrade to 2021 (1.1.0.0)

To Do (?):
-- bosch purion -> bosch kiox or nyon

I have Trek Rail 7XL.

Jubby

Aug 23, 2020
Langley, BC
Hey all,
I just got my rail 7 and have done a few upgrades so far.
Marsh guard
Yellow Chester pedals
Blue love handle grips
Wtb koda seat
Hub paw upgrade
Bosch 2021 software

My question is, I want to get the one up carbon bars but not sure on 20 or 35mm rise? Do I also need to replace the stock stem?
Also will a 2.1 charger kit make a difference for small bump compliance on the stock yari fork?
Thanks

PetrD

Jul 27, 2020
CZ
I upgraded carbon rims ( bontrager line pro 40) because of my weight, but bars? I like the elasticity of alu bars if crashed. Carbon hasnt any elasticity, it is stronger than alu (even titan) but when is damaged in structure, it hasnt any deformation and crash is undetermined.

Doug Stampfer

Jul 7, 2018
NZ
Hey all,
I just got my rail 7 and have done a few upgrades so far.
Marsh guard
Yellow Chester pedals
Blue love handle grips
Wtb koda seat
Hub paw upgrade
Bosch 2021 software

My question is, I want to get the one up carbon bars but not sure on 20 or 35mm rise? Do I also need to replace the stock stem?
Also will a 2.1 charger kit make a difference for small bump compliance on the stock yari fork?
Thanks
The stock stem is 31.8mm diameter. The carbon oneups are 35mm diameter. So you have to get a 35mm dia stem.
I went with a Funn stem as it was the cheapest.
Trek have a system called the knock block which has a locking mechanism inside the headset to stop the forks hitting the downtube. The spacers above the headset have little tabs that interlock into the bottom of the stem so the fork & handlebars all locked into place as one unit.
If you want to change the stem you either go with an overpriced trek bontrager stem with the recess for the tabs; try to find the elusive & ridiculously expensive knockblock lockring with a recess for the tabs that sits on top of the spacers & locks them together; file the tabs off the top of the top spacer & clamp the stem like a standard sytem; or do what I did & get the dremel out & grind a recess into the new stem for the tabs.
Someone posted not so long ago that their knockblock broke & the handlebars can swing further than before however the forks are not hitting the downtube. This shows that the knockblock is a bit redundant.
If I was doing it again I'd simply file the tabs off the top of the top spacer & clamp the stem as usual & not overthink the stupidity of the sytem.
I can't remember what sweep I got as I bought the only pair off the shelf & didn't realise there were different sweeps.

I'd be interested in hearing about the small bump compliance with the damper too.

Jubby

Aug 23, 2020
Langley, BC
The stock stem is 31.8mm diameter. The carbon oneups are 35mm diameter. So you have to get a 35mm dia stem.
Trek have a system called the knock block which has a locking mechanism inside the headset to stop the forks hitting the downtube. The spacers above the headset have little tabs that interlock into the bottom of the stem so the fork & handlebars all locked into place as one unit.
If you want to change the stem you either go with an overpriced trek bontrager stem with the recess for the tabs; try to find the elusive & ridiculously expensive knockblock lockring with a recess for the tabs that sits on top of the spacers & locks them together; file the tabs off the top of the top spacer & clamp the stem like a standard sytem; or do what I did & get the dremel out & grind a recess into the new stem for the tabs.
Someone posted not so long ago that their knockblock broke & the handlebars can swing further than before however the forks are not hitting the downtube. This shows that the knockblock is a bit redundant.
If I was doing it again I'd simply file the tabs off the top of the top spacer & clamp the stem as usual & not overthink the stupidity of the sytem.
I can't remember what sweep I got as I bought the only pair off the shelf & didn't realise there were different sweeps.

I'd be interested in hearing about the small bump compliance with the damper too.
Trek have a system called the knock block which has a locking mechanism inside the headset to stop the forks hitting the downtube. The spacers above the headset have little tabs that interlock into the bottom of the stem so the fork & handlebars all locked into place as one
20200828_200129.jpg

ryan_ca1

Nov 9, 2020
California
For those that went with 160mm cranks instead of the stock 165mm - what was the reason? I am having trouble seeing 5mm making that much of a difference either way.

My drive side crank is continually falling off, so I'm considering buying a replacement set while I wait for Trek to contact Bosch and decide what they are going to do about it.

PF65

Nov 20, 2020
Piacenza Italy
So far;
ODI Rogue grips
Spank Vibrocore Bars
Nukeproof Horizon pedals
Galfer 223mm front rotor
Magic Mary front tyre
Planet-X Barbieri tyre insert in the rear
Ergon SM e-Mountain saddle
Invisiframe

To do;
2021 170mm airshaft or Vorsprung Smashpot coil conversion for the forks
Damper upgrade, either FAST YariUp or Charger 2.1
Coil shock, undecided on brand, but either DVO Jade X or Ohlins TTX 22M
150 or 170 dropper post

Tempted to try;
27.5" rear wheel
35mm stem
I have both in the man-cave...

Needed;
Stabilisers... eff off @Zimmerframe
buon giorno ... any feedback on DVO jade X ?

pamartia

Jun 25, 2020
Walnut Creek, California
I'm 5'8" and I fit a OneUp 180 without any issues on a medium Rail 7.
I recently got a OneUp 210 for my Ibis Rimpo AF medium and there is no way it will work on the medium Rail 7 for me

rsutton1223

Aug 25, 2020
Milton, GA

Upgrades on my 9.8

Schwalbe Eddy Current Front and Rear
Matte Invisiframe
Bontrager Carbon Bars
Bontrager Carbon Wheels with the 105 upgrade
Ergon GA2 Grips with Oil Slick
Ergon Enduro Comp Saddle with Oil Slick Rails
OneUp Flat Pedals

To Do:
170mm ZEB
Coil Rear Shock
Magura MT7 Pro's or Hope Tech 3's
Might swap out the wheels to I9's...

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I've found it changes direction better. I'm not sold on 29ers and if the Rail had been available as a 27.5 I would have picked that over the 29. I've got a 27.5 front wheel with a brand new DHF on it in the garage, hmm, I wonder...

Vans

Dec 5, 2020
Wrexham
Changes / upgrades to my Rail 7.......
Invisframe
Charge Spoon Stealth saddle
XT SPDs
60mm stem (stock is 50mm)
Maxxis DHFs fitted front and rear
Mudhugger FRX front guard fitted to front and rear (back to front on the rear...if that makes sense!!)
Trimmed bars to 760mm
108 hub upgrade
Fitted 'P seals' to battery to fill the gap between downtube and the battery cover

Lovin' this bike.....

Jubby

Aug 23, 2020
Langley, BC
Changes / upgrades to my Rail 7.......
Invisframe
Charge Spoon Stealth saddle
XT SPDs
60mm stem (stock is 50mm)
Maxxis DHFs fitted front and rear
Mudhugger FRX front guard fitted to front and rear (back to front on the rear...if that makes sense!!)
Trimmed bars to 760mm
108 hub upgrade
Fitted 'P seals' to battery to fill the gap between downtube and the battery cover

Lovin' this bike.....
What are "P" seals?

Ben saxton

Feb 18, 2021
Nottingham
can you get the 210mm one up dropper all the way down to the collar on your xl?

Orangie

Feb 1, 2020
Pittsburgh
Zeb,industry nine wheels ,pnw dropper , renthal carbon bars , super deluxe shock , i9 stem 40 mm , maxiss tires,ztto dropper lever , xt levers , spare battery, and two more bikes ?

Jubby

Aug 23, 2020
Langley, BC
I also just added a oneup edc multi tool to the stem and a raceface chain ring and bosch spider adapter to keep things staying tight on the drive

Jono967

Apr 4, 2019
Victoria Australia
2020 Trek Rail 7
Hope Discs
Code RSC brakes
AXS Derailleur
Oiled 12 speed cassette
Oiled Chain
Ergon saddle
170mm forks with high and low-speed comp adjustment
Megneg on rear shock
Ergon grips
Nuke proof sam hill pedals
155mm Cranks
Spank Vibrocore Riser bar
Hope Head Stem
Oneup Multi-Tool in the steerer tube

Left to do
Custom Wrap

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles