Trek Rail 7 - Marzocchi Bomber CR coil shock

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
I was reluctant to start a new thread before trying to get an answer here. New guy here so maybe thats wrong.

Anyway - I have a Rail 5 -21 size L. Is it possible in any way to fit a ´Zocchi cr coil on that one?
No need to increase travel even though it would be nice.
Thanks!
Look here ...

Thread 'Trek rail rear shock upgrade ideas please' Trek rail rear shock upgrade ideas please

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
I was reluctant to start a new thread before trying to get an answer here. New guy here so maybe thats wrong.

Anyway - I have a Rail 5 -21 size L. Is it possible in any way to fit a ´Zocchi cr coil on that one?
No need to increase travel even though it would be nice.
Thanks!
About seven posts above gauteplass states the CR coil doesn't fit a large aluminum Rail even with stock 57.5mm stroke.

You will need to source a shock with a short piggyback reservoir. I installed a DHX2 on my 9.8 that will also fit my Rail 7.

HeyHey

Jan 9, 2024
Sweden
About seven posts above gauteplass states the CR coil doesn't fit a large aluminum Rail even with stock 57.5mm stroke.

You will need to source a shock with a short piggyback reservoir. I installed a DHX2 on my 9.8 that will also fit my Rail 7.
Thanks for your reply.

I saw that but was not clear about what it meant for me since it was not a 57,5 mm from the factory but a shimmed down.

Since I am no expert on rear shocks It was not clear for me what shimmed down means. Is it a modification or is it something they do in the factory as well if you order 57.5 from the start. I guess from your answer it is as good as from the factory.

The selling point for a Marzocchi is the easy of setting up and of course the cost.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Thanks for your reply.

I saw that but was not clear about what it meant for me since it was not a 57,5 mm from the factory but a shimmed down.

Since I am no expert on rear shocks It was not clear for me what shimmed down means. Is it a modification or is it something they do in the factory as well if you order 57.5 from the start. I guess from your answer it is as good as from the factory.

The selling point for a Marzocchi is the easy of setting up and of course the cost.
I don't know about Marzocchi coil shocks, but I would guess that it's similar to my Ohlins TTX22m.2 coil shock which is 65mm but with 3 x 2.5mm spacers/shims inserted into the base of the shock makes it 57.5mm.

Someone will be along soon to correct me about Marzocchi coil shocks.

jcarlson9

Feb 14, 2021
la
I don't know about Marzocchi coil shocks, but I would guess that it's similar to my Ohlins TTX22m.2 coil shock which is 65mm but with 3 x 2.5mm spacers/shims inserted into the base of the shock makes it 57.5mm.

What is the model number of this Marzocchi shock?

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA

You are correct, the Fox and Marzocchi (I assume) coil shocks are 65mm stroke and can be shimmed in 2.5mm increments down to 57.5mm. The shims are easy to install as two semi-circles. They are sold individually, so you need two shims to reduce the stroke by 2.5mm. For example if you buy a 65mm shock you will need six shims to reduce to 57.5mm stroke.

irie

Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
You are correct, the Fox and Marzocchi (I assume) coil shocks are 65mm stroke and can be shimmed in 2.5mm increments down to 57.5mm. The shims are easy to install as two semi-circles. They are sold individually, so you need two shims to reduce the stroke by 2.5mm. For example if you buy a 65mm shock you will need six shims to reduce to 57.5mm stroke.
To reduce Fox and Marzocchi shocks from 65mm to 57.5mm with 6 shims would require each shim to be 1.25mm.

fasterjason

Dec 17, 2022
USA
To reduce Fox and Marzocchi shocks from 65mm to 57.5mm with 6 shims would require each shim to be 1.25mm.
The 2.5mm shims are two-piece so they can be installed around the shaft without talking the shock apart except for removing the spring and a cover plate. When you order a shim from Fox you only get half of a shim, therefore you need to order in pairs. I learned the hard way. Fox admittedly said that their description is vauge and lacking detail on the website.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles