Trek Quality Control

edson_bsx

Jan 15, 2019
Nottingham, UK
Has anyone else experienced any quality issues with their bikes? I know Trek certainly can't be held accountable for every component, but while my new Powerfly LT is brilliant, every few days something pops up. I've owned the bike less than a week and have encountered the following:
  1. Bike arrived with paint chipped seat stay, replacement sent out next day.
  2. After further analysis, the battery cover also paint chipped, again, replacement sent out next day.
  3. Shimano shifter sticks if used to go into a higher gear with your index finger (they have the dual action upshift). Has to be pushed back to reset.
    1. I haven't reported this yet as requires Shimano to fix and that requires sending parts away, don't want to be without the bike yet.
  4. 50 miles ridden and I start to feel a notch in the crank, I'm riding about 5 miles from my LBS where I purchased the bike so I ride it in for them to take a look. The crank bolt is absolutely shot. Threads crossed (somehow) on only one side of the bolt. They sorted it for me there and then with a replacement.
I'm totally expecting and hoping, I've just got an anomaly. But thought it'd be good for others to see, especially if there are some recurring issues here.

Huge thanks and shout-out to my Voltz in Blidworth, Notts for sorting all the issues so rapidly. Can't recommend them highly enough.

Last edited:

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
I would expect the shop to check them as part of the PDI if they didn’t actually fit them.

Standingwaves

Nov 24, 2018
USA
Zero issues.
However the paint on my 9.7 LT+ does seem to chip easily with rocks being flung up from the tyres.
I did a 3M paint protection frame wrap. So far so good.

checkerzsnr

Aug 28, 2018
NN9 6RF
Main issue I have had is with the Bontrager dropper post... saddle moves side to side (its a 2018 bike). Wear in the dropper tube; understand that it will gradually get worse so invested in a service kit and reduced the play. Will be purchasing a replacement, upgraded dropper post if I don't win Rob's competition :) :) :)
Paint is fairly flaky - @Standingwaves, do you have any information on the 3M paint protection frame wrap?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The paint on my 2017 has proven to fairly Doom-proof. It wasn't until I bailed out in a rock chute that I actually did any damage at all.

Under warranty I've had a new free-hub after the first was killed by the English winter and a rear wheel after the rim cracked around a couple of spoke holes.
I'm on my second motor, also killed by the English winter with a little help from Bosch's dumbarse tiny sprocket. :rolleyes:

2018 Powerfully 7 FS - paint has scratches and chips , although it has fallen over a few times -

Ambition certainly outweighs Ability !

Rear hub is a bit 'noisey ' but can't fault its operation / 1300km and it still works fine .

It gets ridden fairly hard - and I'm Robustly Built , it gets used .
I rate it very highly it is genuinely one on the best things I've ever bought !

Standingwaves

Nov 24, 2018
USA
Main issue I have had is with the Bontrager dropper post... saddle moves side to side (its a 2018 bike). Wear in the dropper tube; understand that it will gradually get worse so invested in a service kit and reduced the play. Will be purchasing a replacement, upgraded dropper post if I don't win Rob's competition :):):)
Paint is fairly flaky - @Standingwaves, do you have any information on the 3M paint protection frame wrap?
I wrapped my frame with this:
Scotchgard™ Pro Series Paint Protection Film (PPF) | 3M
Looks phenomenal

Matt

Feb 12, 2019
Northamptonshire
Faulty shock on my LT7 from new, returned to seller, shock sent to SRAM full rebuild, returned two weeks later, shock still losing pressure, so waiting on retailers response. In short owned bike 4 weeks ridden 7 miles. So frustrating. ?

khorn

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 19, 2018
Denmark
Faulty shock on my LT7 from new, returned to seller, shock sent to SRAM full rebuild, returned two weeks later, shock still losing pressure, so waiting on retailers response. In short owned bike 4 weeks ridden 7 miles. So frustrating. ?

The law is very clear on that, if defective out of the box you are entitled to a new shock and should not settle for less.

Karsten

alexis

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2018
Cyprus
Although I love my Powerfly FS7 and I am very happy with the distributor here in Cyprus, I am very disappointed with the paint-finish on my 2019 example. I look after my bikes (and everything else I own) obsessively, yet there is chipped paint in multiple places and I don't just mean under the downtube where one would expect the odd chip or two - I ride the same places I used to ride my 2012 Trek XCaliber and the paintwork on my XCaliber is in better condition that my 2019 Powerfly (4500kms on the XCaliber, 2500km on the Powerfly). Other than the paintwork and a noisy disc (from new) the bike is faultless.

2018 Powerfully 7 FS - paint has scratches and chips , although it has fallen over a few times -

Ambition certainly outweighs Ability !

Rear hub is a bit 'noisey ' but can't fault its operation / 1300km and it still works fine .

It gets ridden fairly hard - and I'm Robustly Built , it gets used .
I rate it very highly it is genuinely one on the best things I've ever bought !
So, 12 months on - done another 1300kms , still got a noisey rear hub , broke more bits off - dis a rear derailluer - sticks got it .
Second rear Cassette - Sunrace - now running an XTR chain , 100 times better !
Now due for tyres I thinks rear is pretty shot .
Have taken to Derby in Tas , St Helens in Tas , it’s a Beast and goes well .

Still one of the best things I’ve ever bought !

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles