Trek Powerfly FS 2019 - scrapping/tinny noise

ShanET

Apr 28, 2019
South West Rocks
Just wondering if anyone has experienced this sound? Heard it on a demo bike and then on my new bike. I think the noise increases in the higher gears. Is the chain rubbing anywhere, or motor need greasing? The sound is a bit similar to someone using an angle grinder. 2 bikes, same sound so hoping someone has an easy solution. Thanks.

Last edited:

Julio

Dec 21, 2018
New Zealand
There are a number of previous posts about a zinging harmonic noise from the brake rotors at around 30 km/h. I called in at the shop where I bought mi LT7 and they said that it is a known issue. There is nothing wrong with the brakes, but they have agreed to replace the rotors with Shimano Ice Tech rotors under warranty. Other threads have said that this eliminates the noise.

Thunderer

Nov 19, 2018
Y Felinheli
Dropper post recommendation Trek FS9 2018. Presently fitted is the factory standard Bontager Dropline 31.6mm 125mm drop, it increasingly developing side to side play...so replacement is perhaps due.....any recommendations without breaking the bank.

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks
I went for the Brand X jobbie from wiggle. Was cheap, but is now increasing from side to side. will get a raceface/fox one next and pay the extra.

Thunderer

Nov 19, 2018
Y Felinheli
I went for the Brand X jobbie from wiggle. Was cheap, but is now increasing from side to side. will get a raceface/fox one next and pay the extra.
That’s what I have ordered, I guess if they last a year at the price they are at it’s not too bad...whereas if you pay £300 + for a good one and it still wears out !!

thewildblue

Feb 14, 2019
Bucks
Well good luck, I got my first at the end of January and after 3 weeks it had too much play ( not side to side) so they sent me a replacement( cant fault the wiggle service). So the 2nd one has been on since then and its only in the past week or so Ive noticed loads of side to side movement. I reckon a 6 month lifespan at this rate, good job they have a 2 year warranty !

Thunderer

Nov 19, 2018
Y Felinheli
Well good luck, I got my first at the end of January and after 3 weeks it had too much play ( not side to side) so they sent me a replacement( cant fault the wiggle service). So the 2nd one has been on since then and its only in the past week or so Ive noticed loads of side to side movement. I reckon a 6 month lifespan at this rate, good job they have a 2 year

ShanET

Apr 28, 2019
South West Rocks
There are a number of previous posts about a zinging harmonic noise from the brake rotors at around 30 km/h. I called in at the shop where I bought mi LT7 and they said that it is a known issue. There is nothing wrong with the brakes, but they have agreed to replace the rotors with Shimano Ice Tech rotors under warranty. Other threads have said that this eliminates the noise.
Thanks Julio. Will ask about this for sure.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles