Trek Powerfly 9 FS 2017 rear shock stroke and some upgrade questions.

aspirina

Patreon
Aug 18, 2018
Barcelona
Hi all,

My Baby is almost perfectly setup for me, but I’m considering 3 last upgrades:

1- Upgrade the rear shock to a more configurable one, problem is that I cannot find the measurements of the shock, all I could find it’s 205x50 for 2018 but that is not a standard metric one? Shouldn’t it be 205x60, 205x65 or 185x50?

2- Upgrade the Pike RC to DebonAir and Charger 2 dampers (already I’ve the set in my checkout and I’m awaiting opinions on this one to pull the trigger)

3- Miranda 160 cranks with OneUp flat pedals (This one is already on its way)

If anyone could help me about the shock sizing it would be awesome.

Thanks
E52FAF88-2CC2-4C82-AED2-2BEA2280DAD9.jpeg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Measure the shock yourself
the first number is eye to eye length measured between the centre of each mounting eyelet.
The second number is the stroke. let all the air out the shock and measure the difference between the number above and the distance when fully bottomed out. (bike weighted so as to fully compress shock) is the stroke lenght.

As for your Pike. it depends on what you want to achieve. The debonair changes the spring curve and ration between neg and pos air chamber while, the charger damper changes the damping characteristics.
Before listening to others opinions, what don't you like about the fork as it is? And what are you aiming to improve?

aspirina

Patreon
Aug 18, 2018
Barcelona
Measure the shock yourself
the first number is eye to eye length measured between the centre of each mounting eyelet.
The second number is the stroke. let all the air out the shock and measure the difference between the number above and the distance when fully bottomed out. (bike weighted so as to fully compress shock) is the stroke lenght.

As for your Pike. it depends on what you want to achieve. The debonair changes the spring curve and ration between neg and pos air chamber while, the charger damper changes the damping characteristics.
Before listening to others opinions, what don't you like about the fork as it is? And what are you aiming to improve?

As for the Pike I want better small hit response and a more adjustable setup.

Main issue is that I don’t have the bike with me as I’m on holidays with the family so I wanted to have everything ready once I get home...

Thanks.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
In that case, the debonair air shaft should improve your small bump sensitivity and WILL stiffen midstroke and increase bottom out resistance over the standard air shaft. I only say "should" because I have no idea what your current set-up is.
The charger will give wider low speed damping adjustability and refined damping qualities over your stock damper.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The rear shock is 205 x 57.5 and is a Trunion mount, just to be awkward. I'll be interested to see what you come up with to fit in it's place.

aspirina

Patreon
Aug 18, 2018
Barcelona
The rear shock is 205 x 57.5 and is a Trunion mount, just to be awkward. I'll be interested to see what you come up with to fit in it's place.

Damn, that’s bad news....

EDIT: Toying around with the treck suspension calculator got measurements for my shock its 205x50... thats even worst. Also weird my shockwiz says that my shock has a 2.3 ratio, but if its a 50 stroke 130mm should be 2.6... If it's 2.6 then we would be going 156 and that won't do....

Best match would be a super deluxe rc3 205x60.... I believe it would fit without issue even bottoming out, it would raise the BB a little bit and make the head angle a bit steeper, correct? If so that could be solved by switching the chip and maybe adding 10mm in the front? Raising the BB a bit might not be that bad? Arggg

I also have a 29 front wheel with a minion dhf 2.5 on its way...

Too many things to test...

Thanks for the info.

so far:

FOX RACING SHOX FLOAT DPX2 FACTORY METRIC Trunnion Evol LV 2019

DVO TOPAZ T3AIR TRUNNION XV

Super Deluxe rc3

I think I'm trully shafted....

Last edited:

Stray cat

Aug 24, 2018
On the trails
Talked to my mechanic and he says,we can fit in a 200x57 shock on a Powerfly LT which has a 205x57,7
I am wondering if we can set up volume spacers on a stock shock

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
EXT do a coil shock the right size but it’s €800 + VAT!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles