Traveling to Spain in May 2020 - need eMtb advice/help

NGreen

Mar 15, 2019
Orange County, California
Hello, I’m putting this in the general area because the travel section doesn’t look too active. Will move it if needed ?

I’m going to be traveling from California to Barcelona, San Sebastián, and Madrid with a stop in the Rioja region.

I’d love to rent/hire an ebike and explore some mountains. I love riding tech, DH, flow downhill. Not sure which of the above areas have the best mountain biking so I need some help ?

anyone familiar with the area that could give me some advice? Good place to rent a eMtb, some fun trails, where am I allowed to ride an ebike, etc.?

thanks in advance for the help!

Pondboy

Jan 15, 2020
Mas de Barberans, Catalunya
Most trails in Spain are 4x4 tracks, as that is how the locals get around. You can ride pretty much anywhere that isn't specifically marked otherwise, or fenced off (no trespass laws).

I'm 2 hours south of Barcelona, have a large Turbo Levo 2020 & the els Ports natural park behind our village with more tracks than I have ever managed to ride.

I have no idea about emtb rentals, but there are a huge number of ebike rental places for tourists (sit up bikes with battery over the rear wheel types mainly).

You are welcome to visit us and borrow the bike if you want.

NGreen

Mar 15, 2019
Orange County, California
Most trails in Spain are 4x4 tracks, as that is how the locals get around. You can ride pretty much anywhere that isn't specifically marked otherwise, or fenced off (no trespass laws).

I'm 2 hours south of Barcelona, have a large Turbo Levo 2020 & the els Ports natural park behind our village with more tracks than I have ever managed to ride.

I have no idea about emtb rentals, but there are a huge number of ebike rental places for tourists (sit up bikes with battery over the rear wheel types mainly).

You are welcome to visit us and borrow the bike if you want.

thank you so much! That very nice of you! are any of the places I mentioned known for single track trails? I’ll look through google to find a rental shop. I’m hoping the Rioja region has some good trails because my wife and friends want to go wine tasting ? I’d much rather be riding.

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
I am currently visiting Calpe area where I have found Snakebite MTB adventures. Great guy ,knows all the local trails will put you in touch with local bike rentals BUT most will do hard tail and need some persuading to find you a full suss. Which needs booking in advance .....trails are very stoney as rains have washed out the top surface. Some armour recommended I ended up on a clockwork Merida and discovered some new muscles not used for e bike riding.
Spanish motorists are much more tolerant of all bikes ....not like UK.
Overall a great country to ride . Have fun

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
Lots of riding in and around Barcelona, start climbing from Tibidabo metro, you can even bring the bike on the subway. You will find the best imaginable mix of street, XC, enduro wathever. Lots of singletrack on top of the mountain but not too much information about them. On weekends you’ll find lots of riders on the area.
Both times i took my bikes, last year with a spectralon I had much more fun then on 2016 with a stumpjumper, there is plenty of bikeshops but I found no decent bikes for rent. Also lots of ebikes for sale at the shops but I did not see any on the trails, other riders still seemed surprised to see my ebike and where mostly friendly.

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
Hello, I’m putting this in the general area because the travel section doesn’t look too active. Will move it if needed ?

I’m going to be traveling from California to Barcelona, San Sebastián, and Madrid with a stop in the Rioja region.

I’d love to rent/hire an ebike and explore some mountains. I love riding tech, DH, flow downhill. Not sure which of the above areas have the best mountain biking so I need some help ?

anyone familiar with the area that could give me some advice? Good place to rent a eMtb, some fun trails, where am I allowed to ride an ebike, etc.?

thanks in advance for the help!
I would highly recommend finding a guide,there are lots of mtb holiday companies offering days out,long weekends etc,most will organise ebike hire as well, there is lots of very technical trails in Spain usually loose dusty and rocky

Pondboy

Jan 15, 2020
Mas de Barberans, Catalunya
I can't vouch for the number of single-track trails round els Ports, as I'm far too old to risk my breaky bits downhilling like I was still 20. The hills here top out at 1,400 metres, so there are much longer runs up north in the Pyrenees.

BTW, I recommend that you visit the Priorat wine region. Fabulous Grenache wines. I know a professional wine tour guide for the area if you are interested. We spent a couple of days there with her and tried 42 different wines. Didn't spit once. ;)

paucosta

Jun 18, 2019
Barcelona
I live in Barcelona area although I always ride Pyrenees trails. In Collserola mountain (known as Tibidabo as well) there is plenty of trails. Here you can find some rides.

The good point is that you don't need to rent a car from Barcelona, you can take the metro up to Vallvidrera superior(higher metro station) or Peu del funicular station.

No clue where you can rent an emtb, try well known bike shop in Barcelona such as:
Tienda online de bicicletas de Tomas Domingo - The Bike House
Probike | Productos de ciclismo | Taller | Noticias | Actividades
another option is go for a test bike in these shops.

If you have time to rent a car, then you can go to a varaiety of spots

By the way, here in Barcelona is way more used strava that trail forks.
cheers

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
From Barcelona, I would head into the Pyrenees to Ainsa and Zona Zero - where the EWS has taken place a couple of times. Mostly single track. Loads of well planned routes and even their own App. Zona Zero Pirineos - Home

If you look in the Travel section you find a list of Spanish links I put up in the first couple of threads.

The link above includes a link to SARRATILLO – AINSA – HUESCA – DEPORTES DE AVENTURA EN EL PIRINEO who rent out Ghost full sus bikes.

Lastly, in the Iberian Peninsular you'll find your best resource for MTB tracks on wikiloc.com - much of which will be described in Spanish. Considerably easier to use than Strava's heatmaps. But beware: the definition of "Easy" and "Moderate" can be somewhat controversial! Read the profiles and any write-ups. Also, dismiss/ignore any routes which are "planned" - these are flagged by Wikiloc anyway.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles