Travel Forum

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Yes, great new section. Anybody got any experience as an older rider, travelling alone to Spain, or Portugal?

Depends what you mean by travelling alone. I mostly ride on my own here in Spain (must be my deodorant... :unsure:), while my wife hikes on her own. But the camping (evenings) we do together. Everyone has been wonderful. Even the dogs have not been as problematic as we expected.

A mate of mine is a retired fireman from Wales. He has walked and biked Spain from North to South and East to West, in the worst of winter floods and the fiercest of summer heat. All on his own. He usually fly camps (illegal in most of Spain, BTW) and has met with nothing but helpfulness.

What is it that worries you?

martinf

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton
Depends what you mean by travelling alone. I mostly ride on my own here in Spain (must be my deodorant... :unsure:), while my wife hikes on her own. But the camping (evenings) we do together. Everyone has been wonderful. Even the dogs have not been as problematic as we expected.

A mate of mine is a retired fireman from Wales. He has walked and biked Spain from North to South and East to West, in the worst of winter floods and the fiercest of summer heat. All on his own. He usually fly camps (illegal in most of Spain, BTW) and has met with nothing but helpfulness.

What is it that worries you?[/QUOTE I’m a soft, southern retired English Teacher used to pootling about on the Downs. I need 4 walls, a bed of my own, and a shower. Most of the links you put up, as you said, are focussed on uplifts for downhills, and I’m not that technical, and most places also seem to quote for groups rather than individuals.

Your mate sounds exceptional; I’m just a retired soft southern English Teacher used to doing 25- 30 miles on the Downs a few times a week, and I need 4 walls, a bed of my own, and a shower :) Most places I’ve seen seem to quote for groups rather than individuals, so I just wondered if any (normal) older people had any experience of travelling alone (as in - on their own) thanks M

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
... so I just wondered if any (normal) older people had any experience of travelling alone (as in - on their own) thanks M

That's easier to do in Spain and Portugal than in Britain. The accomodation and bars, cafes and restaurants are more plentiful and cheaper. The locals more welcoming. No E-haters. Better weather. Wonderful tracks. And a really good health service for those broken bones without the 4 hour wait in casualty. :ROFLMAO:

What's not to like?

balbo

Jun 13, 2019
Bologna, Italy
I will be going to Cortina Italy in June 2020.
I have two days there.
I’d like to rent a ebike and do an epic one day ride.
I have found places to rent bikes so I’m sure there will be guides and plenty of information once I get there, but I’d like to know a little more before I go.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
Cheers and happy holidays to everyone across the pond!!

I suggest the 5 rifugi tour Cinque Rifugi
I haven't done it yet but it is considered one of the most beautiful tours in Italy.

Baron

Nov 2, 2018
UK
Any suggestions for Austria in July. Would prefer a central location to the best routes. Nice self catering chalet and somewhere safe for the Ebikes. Haven't a clue at the moment.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Any suggestions for Austria in July. Would prefer a central location to the best routes. Nice self catering chalet and somewhere safe for the Ebikes. Haven't a clue at the moment.
There is a lot of good biking in Austria. A good bet would be to go to the areas with bikeparks.
I have had my e-bike in Leogang, and there are a lot of areas you can ride.
I was just reading about some great eMTB trails around Ischgl.
Schladming is also pretty good. I have only been there with my Analog MTB, but a quick search on the Interweby thingie brought me THIS LINK:
I spend most of my holidays in Upper Austria, and there is tons to do there also with the ebike.
Unfortunately in Austria they have some pretty wierd rules, that unless otherwise stated, Forrestry roads are off limits for any bicycles.
Most regions have a pretty well documented network of trails and roads where biking is allowed.
Just choose a region and look online what they have to offer.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Unfortunately in Austria they have some pretty wierd rules, that unless otherwise stated, Forrestry roads are off limits for any bicycles.

That must be the understatement of all times!

Axi has done a good video about it. I love hiking in Austria. Not sure I'll be taking the bike there though :cry:

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
That must be the understatement of all times!

Axi has done a good video about it. I love hiking in Austria. Not sure I'll be taking the bike there though :cry:

Naaaa, its not that bad. I have done tons of biking in Austria and not had any problems. But it is something to be aware of. Before you go, check the region you are going to if Mtb's are a problem or not. and if you are planning a tour check at local tourist offices what is allowed or not.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles