Transporting your ebike.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Just been trying to get a couple of normal mountain bikes into a Peugeot 3008. Bit of a nightmare. With front wheel off, one goes in nicely but there is no way I could manage one actual ebike on top of another even with padding in between. The weight alone and awkward angle would damage my back I’m sure. Only solution is for us to take 2 cars and take front wheels of both bikes. That way at least the bikes won’t eat each other on long journeys

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Yesterday I loaded my rack to the max. Actually was possibly a little overloaded. To help support the weight I added a strap from the top of my rear hatch to the carrier.
Was 2 EMtbs and 2 Normal.
We calculated that it was about €12000 in bikes on there. I didn't want them to fall off on the autobahn. Even though there was no speed limit. I stayed under 200Kmh ;-)
IMG_20190818_114432.jpg

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
If you place your EMTB on its side in the boot of a car, most of the weight will be on one pedal. Will this bend the crank or place strain on a motor bearing? It’s like 25kg on one pedal

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
If you weigh 80kg, when you pedal out the saddle there’s lot more force going through it than that, and the angle doesn’t matter much as it’s going through the bottom bracket bearings

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
Mine goes in the boot of my Audi TT with the wheels off no trouble, I put packers in between the brake pads in case the handlebar levers get knocked during transit, don't want the pads closing up or hydraulic leaks.

Stormy 107

Jun 22, 2019
Yarm
So to clarify on my last post (didn’t have time for details) my car has M Sport suspension and associated bits. The mounting points are different, and it has additional stuff going on. The tow bars that fit most 3 series BMWs won’t go on mine as I don’t have those holes. Hence the cost, when BMW fit a tow bar they have to change two parts on the suspension. As the guy in the phone said “nobody tows with an M Sport”. I have what I thought was a normal 320D with pretty seats but actually the previous owner bought the suspension upgrades also. This is also why the seats don’t fold, they help keep the thing rigid.

Annoying but it is what it is. Won’t stop me riding.

Rear folding seats are an optional extra at about £500, so lots of people don't bother.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Put it on the roof, bars at about £130 and an inno bike rack at £170, which is rated at 23kg. just take the battery out to save some weight to. View attachment 17541

Nice, do they do one for a Peug
Put it on the roof, bars at about £130 and an inno bike rack at £170, which is rated at 23kg. just take the battery out to save some weight to. View attachment 17541

That’s awesome! It’s solved my problem of transporting 2 bikes. I can put one on top and one inside with wheel off, assuming that the one I lay flat on a peddle will not damage the crank or motor? Hopefully laying a bike on its side inside the car is ok.

LeonG

Jun 10, 2019
Derbyshire
Thumbs up for the Inno rack, here's mine with added ratchet loops at the front, once fitted it's absolutely rock solid. The Inno rack also has an integrated ABUS lock which is handy. You should easily be able to fit 2 of these on standard racks.

IMG_20190825_131130(1).jpg

Stormy 107

Jun 22, 2019
Yarm
Is it possible to put a second Inno rack on those bars to carry 2 ebikes? My bikes are about 21kg with batteries out and my roof can take a total load of 75kg
Yeh you'll be fine, take batteries out as it will make a difference. Just make sure you measure the thikness of you roof bars. If there over 30mm you'll need to get the extension bolts, there only about £3.50. as you've probably guessed I didn't. And had to wait another couple of days for them to be delivered.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Yeh you'll be fine, take batteries out as it will make a difference. Just make sure you measure the thikness of you roof bars. If there over 30mm you'll need to get the extension bolts, there only about £3.50. as you've probably guessed I didn't. And had to wait another couple of days for them to be delivered.

Thanks. Halfords do roof bars 30mm by 20mm to fit my car so I guess they would be ok? £80 sounds a bit cheap for roof bars however.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I would struggle to get my bike on top of a car, battery or not. I would also, and certainly in the UK, have concerns about transporting the bike with the battery housing uncovered. I think it could prove quite difficult to cover this space adequately.

Al

Stormy 107

Jun 22, 2019
Yarm
I would struggle to get my bike on top of a car, battery or not. I would also, and certainly in the UK, have concerns about transporting the bike with the battery housing uncovered. I think it could prove quite difficult to cover this space adequately.

Al
Your right, you need to cover your battery terminals. I'm lucky I have access to a 3d printer. Shimano external batteries are pretty easy?
IMG_20190702_194547552.jpg
IMG_20190702_194537980.jpg

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Just remove the pedal, only takes a minute. Then it won't bore a hole through your carpet!
One of the best things I have purchased for my bike is a pair of "NoxSox" to cover the pedals. Not too expensive but very effective in protecting both the car and my legs while loading. They have made loading the bike in the car much easier and safer. Highly recommended.

Al

LeonG

Jun 10, 2019
Derbyshire

Al

It's not easy, even without battery it's a 2 stage affair, get the front wheel in the holder with the rear wheel resting on the edge of the bars, then once stable, bump up the rear wheel into the rear holding section. Integrated battery on mine so I just replace the cover.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
It’s a pity they don’t sell “dummy” batteries you can simply slot in when transporting bikes with semi-integrated batteries. No cells inside so virtually no weight but would completely fill the cavity

Couchy

Nov 15, 2018
Nottingham
I open the rear door and put the bike in, sometimes wheel off and sometimes not. I then drive off listening to my lovely 3.5V6 petrol engine :)

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Thinking of transporting 2 ebikes in car boot (mid sized SUV) with back seats down using the following method...

Both wheels off
Pedals off
Seat posts out

Duvet wrapped around bottom bike with 2nd bike resting on top of duvet.

Is this an ok plan?

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Thinking of transporting 2 ebikes in car boot (mid sized SUV) with back seats down using the following method...

Both wheels off
Pedals off
Seat posts out

Duvet wrapped around bottom bike with 2nd bike resting on top of duvet.

Is this an ok plan?
I put in with every thing on if car big enough. More likely to scratch car than damage bike as you say something under for padding . Something on top to hide from tealeaves

Fivetones

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Feb 11, 2019
Cheshire
I take wheels off, put in a bike bag, put wheels in bike bags then slot into the back of my RS4 Avant. This is a bit of a pain for every ride. I’m going to swap the RS4 for a T6 Caravelle soon. I’ll make a fork holder for the rail tracks these have in the floor. Then just front wheel off.

I really don’t like the idea of advertising a very expensive bike on top or on the back of my vehicle.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
I take wheels off, put in a bike bag, put wheels in bike bags then slot into the back of my RS4 Avant. This is a bit of a pain for every ride. I’m going to swap the RS4 for a T6 Caravelle soon. I’ll make a fork holder for the rail tracks these have in the floor. Then just front wheel off.

I really don’t like the idea of advertising a very expensive bike on top or on the back of my vehicle.
Agree I have Alphard camper with rack on back . If leaving van for any length of time I put in van same at night when sleeping in camper. Bit of a pain when dirty also have shimano bike bag it's bulky though.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles