Transporting your ebike.

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I fitted my towbar myself on my brand new Skoda Superb. Wasn't too difficult, but took me longer than the time they said in the instructions.
IMG_20170506_185154.jpg

I also use the Thule Carrier. I can carry 4 bikes with it. 2 emtbs and 2 Clockworks are within the weight limit.
IMG_20190419_102601.jpg

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I fitted my towbar myself on my brand new Skoda Superb. Wasn't too difficult, but took me longer than the time they said in the instructions.
View attachment 16965

I also use the Thule Carrier. I can carry 4 bikes with it. 2 emtbs and 2 Clockworks are within the weight limit.
View attachment 16966

Wow looks good. What is the weight limit just out of interest?

P580C

Aug 6, 2019
Kent, UK
Called BMW today to get an answer. They said that while many third party Towbars meet regulation 55 they put additional stress on the car in areas not designed to take additional stress. The BMW one has two runners that run the full length of the car and spread the weight, and also the electrics integrate with the car so the reversing sensors don’t go nuts and the headlights point down if needed etc. Hence the cost.

A third party removable is £540 fitted, a knackered old van is £100 more. So I’m going to get the bike, ride to the local trails and get my fitness back up for a couple of months, and then add a van to the drive.

Always wanted a van. Quite excited.

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
I have a original electric “swing away” towbar in my 3 series (F30) and placed a aftermarket Thule removable towbar in my Audi A3 (8V-FL). Both feel the same and do the same.

Don’t believe the BMW dealer about the runners and the electronical integration. The runners story is BS, the electronics are nothing more than placing the unit and coding your car. I’ve placed a 1-series thule towbar just 4 weeks ago for a friend and it works just fine (including disabling the sensors).

And i can recommend the Thule euroway g2 923!
It’s officially made for 3 bikes but i use it for 2 because it can handle more load. It can also handle 2.8+ thick tyres of e-mtb’s. Another plus of the Thule is that you can individually set the bike length mounts (the black bars where you place the wheels of the mtb).

Here’s a picture with my DH bike in Germany:

528A59BF-4F62-4D54-8985-2C705274EC91.jpeg

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
I don't believe that there is yet a boot rack available that is rated for an e bike. Even though the Thule one is rated for 30kg the individual bike holding components are not. I wrote to both Thule and Saris and both manufacturers said exactly the same and advised against using it in this way. That was enough to put me off, I don't want any insurance claim issues because I was using equipment not designed for the job.

Al

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Also UK and just had an aftermarket towbar fitted to a 2 yr old Audi - no insurance or warranty issues. Have gone for the Thule XT rack recommended earlier and very impressed with it.

My insurance company charged me an extra 10% because I fitted a tow bar. :( I protested and said that I wasn't going to be towing a caravan. It made no difference, their broker said that cars with tow-bars have more expensive accidents, whether it is their fault or not! I felt like telling them to sling their hook, but even with a 10% increase they were still cheaper than the next best company. So I smiled sweetly and said thank you!

Reluctantly, I can see their point. My mate was rammed from behind whilst sat at the traffic lights. Absolutely not his fault, but he had £6k of clockwork bikes on the back! (one his, one belonging to his biking buddy). Both bikes written off, and his tow bar, and damage to his car. He had an almighty battle to get paid out a decent value for the bikes and it took weeks and weeks. The good news was they they didn't want the scrap bikes and for a bit of extra money he was able to build a second bike from the scrap. :love:

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Hi all.

My car doesn’t have folding rear seats to get a bike in, and the cost to get an insurance and BMW approved (for warranty reasons) tow bar fitted is as much as the bike itself. I have a 3 series, and wondered about a rack that sits in the boot? One bike only, battery removed, could remove the front wheel also.

I remember my dad used to put 3 steel framed bikes on his rack, they’d weigh 18 kilos each easy. What’s the issues with ebikes on racks?

Cheers.

Heavy lifting ebike on to roof rack. I've a fiamo on my van chest height it's a bad back waiting to happen.

P580C

Aug 6, 2019
Kent, UK
I’m in a chat room with my insurers now to see what it would do vs a roof rack vs a cheap van vs buying a new car.

Ain’t a cheap hobby this.

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
I am insured with admiral in UK. I called and let them know I had swopped from roof carriers to tow bar and there was no charge. Similarly no charge when I advised them of the roofbars. 2 yr old Audi.

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I've tried all kinds of racks but always resisted the trailer hitch type. Then, with the heavier e-bikes, saw that none of the trunk racks supported the weight. Not that they won't work. It's just they aren't rated for 45+ pounds per bike. So potential for issue there for sure. Plus scratches to the car, hassle putting on, taking off, putting on with the straps. Ugh.

I was also thinking how crazy to spend all this money on a bike (or bikes over the years) and go for lower price racks? So I finally went ahead, had the receiver put on my car and then bought a 1Up rack..the 2" Super Duty Single in black.

I should have done this years ago! I think this was perhaps the #1 best bike investment I've ever made. Rack came with a lock, and I got two wheel locks for the bike so can leave it unattended if I need to after a ride. When you order the locks at same time as rack they are keyed the same..so need just one key. Each lock comes with spare, so since all keyed the same, spares galore.

The rack is easily removed and folded up and pop it in the trunk. Some of my friends just fold it up and leave on. Mine weighs 28lbs. Super easy to load the bike, and it's incredibly secure, even over the roughest roads. They have the single, or a two-bike rack, and there are add-on racks if you need to carry more bikes from time to time. There are other optional add-ons as well.

Check them out... 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE Yes they are expensive. But so is your bike!. (and your next one probably will be too). The quality of these racks are amazing. Not sure if they are available in Europe, but so well made and company is top notch and very responsive. If I lived overseas I wouldn't hesitate to pay the shipping for this one. The best. You and your ebike will be happy.

Last edited:

P580C

Aug 6, 2019
Kent, UK
I am insured with admiral in UK. I called and let them know I had swopped from roof carriers to tow bar and there was no charge. Similarly no charge when I advised them of the roofbars. 2 yr old Audi.

I’m with Admiral. It’ll add a couple of hundred to my cost per year. I’m checking with other insurers now. No change for a roof rack. But insurance seems to be more chance than science.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
After long consideration of the matter I have this feeling I’m going to become an expert in removing wheels and closing boots ?

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
I've tried all kinds of racks but always resisted the trailer hitch type. Then, with the heavier e-bikes, saw that none of the trunk racks supported the weight. Not that they won't work. It's just they aren't rated for 45+ pounds per bike. So potential for issue there for sure. Plus scratches to the car, hassle putting on, taking off, putting on with the straps. Ugh.

I was also thinking how crazy to spend all this money on a bike (or bikes over the years) and go for lower price racks? So I finally went ahead, had the receiver put on my car and then bought a 1Up rack..the 2" Super Duty Single in black.

I should have done this years ago! I think this was perhaps the #1 best bike investment I've ever made. Rack came with a lock, and I got two wheel locks for the bike so can leave it unattended if I need to after a ride. When you order the locks at same time as rack they are keyed the same..so need just one key. Each lock comes with spare, so since all keyed the same, spares galore.

The rack is easily removed and folded up and pop it in the trunk. Some of my friends just fold it up and leave on. Mine weighs 28lbs. Super easy to load the bike, and it's incredibly secure, even over the roughest roads. They have the single, or a two-bike rack, and there are add-on racks if you need to carry more bikes from time to time. There are other optional add-ons as well.

Check them out... 1UP USA | OFFICIAL SITE Yes they are expensive. But so is your bike!. (and your next one probably will be too). The quality of these racks are amazing. Not sure if they are available in Europe, but so well made and company is top notch and very responsive. If I lived overseas I wouldn't hesitate to pay the shipping for this one. The best. You and your ebike will be happy.
They do look good, but not legal in Europe I think. Here you need the extra lights and numberplate.
I agree that the investment in a good rack is money well spent.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Hi all.

My car doesn’t have folding rear seats to get a bike in, and the cost to get an insurance and BMW approved (for warranty reasons) tow bar fitted is as much as the bike itself. I have a 3 series, and wondered about a rack that sits in the boot? One bike only, battery removed, could remove the front wheel also.

I remember my dad used to put 3 steel framed bikes on his rack, they’d weigh 18 kilos each easy. What’s the issues with ebikes on racks?

Cheers.

My rig... Kuat Core and aftermarket hitch.
IMG_1082.jpg

BobW

Jul 23, 2019
Wirral, UK
Has anyone looked at the Saris Bones EX 3-bike rack?

I want it mostly for the Specialized Levo & occasional use to carry a 2nd conventional bike.
They’re rated at 45kg, but state it’s 15kg per bike??
If weight is critical then I could remove the battery, to make the Levo about 17kg?

I’ve only found it available from the US via Amazon. Import duty and carriage add about £100, totalling almost £300. Looks the business and fits my Saab 9-3X

Any thoughts would be appreciated

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK

I want it mostly for the Specialized Levo & occasional use to carry a 2nd conventional bike.
If weight is critical then I could remove the battery, to make the Levo about 17kg?

I’ve only found it available from the US via Amazon. Import duty and carriage add about £100, totalling almost £300. Looks the business and fits my Saab 9-3X

As I said previously I e-mailed both Thule and Saris. Both companies specifically said that their boot mounted products were not suitable for e-bikes. It's not the overall weight limit that is an issue it's the individual mounting components.

P580C

Aug 6, 2019
Kent, UK
Im not sure what individual component could fail. The weight of the bike is less than the combined weight of three bikes. The straps aren’t taking the weight they just stop it sliding off, the bike doesn’t have enough momentum for its increased weight to be a major factor. If you drive like a nutter it could over stress on acceleration, on heavy breaking it’ll just lean on the car.

I just think they haven’t done the testing, and so won’t rate it. Which is reasonable.

JoeBlow

Jul 7, 2019
South West, UK
Im not sure what individual component could fail. The weight of the bike is less than the combined weight of three bikes. The straps aren’t taking the weight they just stop it sliding off, the bike doesn’t have enough momentum for its increased weight to be a major factor. If you drive like a nutter it could over stress on acceleration, on heavy breaking it’ll just lean on the car.

I just think they haven’t done the testing, and so won’t rate it. Which is reasonable.
Quite possibly/probably true but if a company specifically says the spec of a product is not suitable I would be reluctant to ignore that advice as there may be insurance implications.

Al

P580C

Aug 6, 2019
Kent, UK
Quite possibly/probably true but if a company specifically says the spec of a product is not suitable I would be reluctant to ignore that advice as there may be insurance implications.

Al

Oh I agree. Just putting it out there. :) It’s the reason I haven’t put a tow bar on, something about my particular BMW means it’s gotta be one type or its not legit. Because the previous owner added a sports pack. Everyone says it’s fine, but if I have a crash...

P580C

Aug 6, 2019
Kent, UK
So to clarify on my last post (didn’t have time for details) my car has M Sport suspension and associated bits. The mounting points are different, and it has additional stuff going on. The tow bars that fit most 3 series BMWs won’t go on mine as I don’t have those holes. Hence the cost, when BMW fit a tow bar they have to change two parts on the suspension. As the guy in the phone said “nobody tows with an M Sport”. I have what I thought was a normal 320D with pretty seats but actually the previous owner bought the suspension upgrades also. This is also why the seats don’t fold, they help keep the thing rigid.

Annoying but it is what it is. Won’t stop me riding.

mtbross

Jul 22, 2019
Los Angeles, CA, USA

I have the Saris Bones and called them before getting my first e-bike. They said no, too heavy. Selling that rack now. Got the 1Up rack. Amazing quality from this company. US based. Worth the shipping cost. Seeing more and more of them at trail heads these days as word has been spreading. Expensive, but definitely worth it. Best I’ve seen. And no..I don’t work for them . :)

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware

I have a Kuat Core, which is rated for 60lbs. My bike is 50lbs. The front wheel holder section broke clean off a couple months ago when I loosened pressure on the back wheel. I think it was an issue with the casting of the connection, but the point was it broke. The good news is that Kuat overnighted me two new wheel sections (so they matched) at no charge. I don't anticipate having this happen again... I think it was a manufacturing issue.

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
3 x Powerfly 7’s with batteries removed on my Altera Strada. Even added a clockwork spesh to it last summer and drove to southern Germany without any issues. The 2 extra straps they supply really help keep it steady. These hook on the top of the tailgate. A bit of a faff loading the bikes the 1st time and setting the wheel clamps/frame stays up but once done loaded in 15 mins.

431810AF-4FF1-4D00-AAA3-DADDDE5354E3.jpeg

renedis

Jul 17, 2019
The Hague
So to clarify on my last post (didn’t have time for details) my car has M Sport suspension and associated bits. The mounting points are different, and it has additional stuff going on. The tow bars that fit most 3 series BMWs won’t go on mine as I don’t have those holes. Hence the cost, when BMW fit a tow bar they have to change two parts on the suspension. As the guy in the phone said “nobody tows with an M Sport”. I have what I thought was a normal 320D with pretty seats but actually the previous owner bought the suspension upgrades also. This is also why the seats don’t fold, they help keep the thing rigid.

Annoying but it is what it is. Won’t stop me riding.

Can’t really agree with the guy on the phone.

My F30 335i (see my previous post) has:
- Adaptive M-Sport suspension wit Eibach springs
- Performance diffuser
- Tow bar
- foldable rearseats

Only thing that did not came factory installed was the eibach and performance diffuser.

I live in the Netherlands, does it make that much of a difference between BMW dealers?

P580C

Aug 6, 2019
Kent, UK
I don’t know to be honest. But I’ve spoken to three dealers who’ve all said the same thing. I even risked Halfords who won’t touch it. I’ve spoken to two tow bar manufacturers who run my serial and tell me they don’t support my car. The local garage up the road says they can “make one fit” but it’ll mean a modified tow bar, and £600 in time. I did think if I take off both wheels it’ll only poke out of the boot by a few inches so that could get me through until I solve the problem.

My concern is selling the car on. I won’t do anything to void the warranty or make it hard to sell. My car doesn’t have the removable piece where the bar usually goes, instead it’s all solid. They mentioned replacing a sub frame. I don’t get it. I’m not a car guy I know about motorbikes. When I bought the thing I thought it was a bog standard car with a nice set of seats.

Like I said it won’t stop me getting a bike when they come back into stock near me. And it won’t stop me riding. It just means buying a cheap van, which I always wanted so im quite happy.

SidLawrence

Aug 12, 2019
Meath, Ireland
Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles