Transporting your ebike.

P580C

Aug 6, 2019
Kent, UK
Hi all.

My car doesn’t have folding rear seats to get a bike in, and the cost to get an insurance and BMW approved (for warranty reasons) tow bar fitted is as much as the bike itself. I have a 3 series, and wondered about a rack that sits in the boot? One bike only, battery removed, could remove the front wheel also.

I remember my dad used to put 3 steel framed bikes on his rack, they’d weigh 18 kilos each easy. What’s the issues with ebikes on racks?

Cheers.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I bought a BMW roof bars and bike rack of eBay for a couple of hundred quid, I’ve been using it for the last few years, works well for me ?

*the battery comes off every time the bike is on the roof

P580C

Aug 6, 2019
Kent, UK
Upgrade to a car with folding down seats

I’d just buy a truck.

My neighbour had a boot rack and he puts 4 Halfords cheapo bikes on it. Combined that weighs way more than a single ebike.

Lifting onto the roof with tired arms...

Reactions: Dax

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
insurance and BMW approved (for warranty reasons) tow bar
Who has told you that? Is it a lease car or privately owned? I know lots of people who have fitted aftermarket tow bars without effecting the warranty or upsetting the lease company.

Boot racks aren't the most secure and the shape of many modern FS bikes means they don't hang well. You also can't access the boot with them fitted.

P580C

Aug 6, 2019
Kent, UK
Who has told you that? Is it a lease car or privately owned? I know lots of people who have fitted aftermarket tow bars without effecting the warranty or upsetting the lease company.

Boot racks aren't the most secure and the shape of many modern FS bikes means they don't hang well. You also can't access the boot with them fitted.

BMW. Privately owned. For the warranty to be valid it has to be BMW approved and fitted by them. I’m in the UK. If I wait another year I can do what I want but I want to warranty while I have it.

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
You might want to have a hunt around the forum, there's a very long thread on transporting ebikes that talks about different racks and options. Iirc I was especially helpful and added value ?

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
You might also want to think about how to protect the bike. 50mph in the rain strapped to the back of a car is equivalent to a pressure wash

BigLee

Jul 12, 2019
Lake District cumbria
You might also want to think about how to protect the bike. 50mph in the rain strapped to the back of a car is equivalent to a pressure wash
Back of the car like a pressure washer? I doubt it. The airflow swirls round the back of the car with dirty water, on the roof is a different matter with it being full in the airflow. Even so I'm sure you could fashion something to go round the motor, protect the battery terminals and the bar controller.
A moot point for me as I've a octavia vrs estate ?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My Audi is still under warranty and I fitted an aftermarket tow bar for about £350 vs the £1400 for the Audi version. (no I couldn't believe it either). When I enquired at Audi, they never mentioned warranty impairment, and they have had it for a service since I fitted it; no mention then either.

You asked "what are the issues with ebikes on racks?"
#1: they are heavy vs clockwork bikes and may overload the design. The rack is only held on to the tow-bar ball by friction (think four fingers gripping the ball). It won't come off, but it may drop down and drag on the road.
#3: The tube sections on ebikes are usually much wider than on spindly clockwork bikes and the clamps may not open wide enough, or grip securely enough. This can be overcome by doing your best and then securing with rope or flexible ties.
#4: The tyres are very much wider and don't fit into the valley channels, they just sit on top of them instead, which is not as secure.
#5: The tyres are also much larger in diameter and the straps that come with normal tow-bar bike racks aren't long enough. Tying down the tyres securely to the valley channel is essential.

The tow-bar rack I bought is designed for two ebikes or two fat bikes. It is extendable to a third bike, but the total payload must not exceed 60kg. The channels are wide, the jaws fit and the tyre straps are long. It weighs 18 kg vs 14kg for the similar design meant for clockwork bikes.

I got the Thule VeloSpace XT2 from Halfords.

Thule VeloSpace XT 2 Bike 13pin UK Cycle Carrier

I opted for click and collect at my local store and to my surprise got 10% off when I went to collect it. It was a surprise as it was not mentioned on the web page. So it cost me £378 instead of £420. I have been very pleased with it, although I wish that Thule had spent another 50p on the locks.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Might seem like a silly question but are there any risks in repeatedly taking both wheels on and off an ebike for transportation. I know you have to be careful with not pressing the brake levers with the wheels out but are their any other problems that could arise?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Worried about the weather? Use this;
https://www.evanscycles.com/bikeparka-urban-cycle-cover-EV164902

bikeparka-urban-cycle-cover-green-brown-EV164902-6080-1.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Might seem like a silly question but are there any risks in repeatedly taking both wheels on and off an ebike for transportation. I know you have to be careful with not pressing the brake levers with the wheels out but are their any other problems that could arise?
Front wheel no problem. Back wheel with a through axle requires much higher and the correct torque to secure and ensure it does not come loose.

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Feck me, these are mountain bikes, no need to cover it up from some rain when on the car ?

As I mentioned above, roof rack works fine. My Large Meta Power also goes across the back seats of my 3 series if I take both wheels off.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Front wheel no problem. Back wheel with a through axle requires much higher and the correct torque to secure and ensure it does not come loose.

Bike I’m thinking of getting has a front wheel thru axle (Allen key)
Back wheel is just a quick release (no thru axle)

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Back of the car like a pressure washer? I doubt it. The airflow swirls round the back of the car with dirty water, on the roof is a different matter with it being full in the airflow. Even so I'm sure you could fashion something to go round the motor, protect the battery terminals and the bar controller.
A moot point for me as I've a octavia vrs estate ?
....maybe take a look at the airflow at the rear of any vehicle without a significant spoiler to see!

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
Hi

I have a 2019 levo large and a 1 series BMW which isn’t the best combination but I brought a Thule clip on rear rack, I’ve had three normal bikes on and use it with just my levo on most weekends. Never had any issues!!
27B1E41F-F732-4DB8-B93D-EA31C2DEC6D4.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

I have been taking wheels out for transit purposes for many years without any problems with brake levers being pressed. But that was in the back of my car. If I was sending it anywhere outside my control, I would fit spacers between the brake pads to stop the problem you are concerned about. The sort of spacers you need often arrive with the bike and are promptly thrown away by everyone, but you can buy them, or do as I do and use folded up bits from corrugated cardboard boxes.

Another problem that could happen with a bike when the wheels are out is the fork legs or the rear stays could be compressed by dropping or by a heavy weight being laid upon them. Bikes in transit have plastic or cardboard tubes placed to stop that. I would do something similar if transporting the bike on a plane or train, but not in the back of my car.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
I have been taking wheels out for transit purposes for many years without any problems with brake levers being pressed. But that was in the back of my car. If I was sending it anywhere outside my control, I would fit spacers between the brake pads to stop the problem you are concerned about. The sort of spacers you need often arrive with the bike and are promptly thrown away by everyone, but you can buy them, or do as I do and use folded up bits from corrugated cardboard boxes.

Another problem that could happen with a bike when the wheels are out is the fork legs or the rear stays could be compressed by dropping or by a heavy weight being laid upon them. Bikes in transit have plastic or cardboard tubes placed to stop that. I would do something similar if transporting the bike on a plane or train, but not in the back of my car.

Useful info, thanks.
If I were to take all wheels off 2 Ebikes could i lay one frame carefully on top of another with some sort of protection in between the 2 frames and put them in a car boot?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Useful info, thanks.
If I were to take all wheels off 2 Ebikes could i lay one frame carefully on top of another with some sort of protection in between the 2 frames and put them in a car boot?

Yes you could. When I transported clockwork bikes that is exactly what I used to do. I used old towels, but mates have used old duvets, carpet, even sacking. You could use sheets of corrugated cardboard, but not with wet bikes. I folded the rear seats and removed the bike front wheels and pedals. Don't forget to remove the pedals! I bought a groundsheet from Go Outdoors to lay in the boot floor, it folds out when I fold down the rear seats to protect the seat backs.

I no longer do that with my emtb as it is just too heavy to do it unaided. I have had problems with my back and I have no wish to start that all over again. So when I bought my emtb, I knew that I'd have to go with a tow bar. I've seen them on back carriers, which I have used before to carry two clockwork bikes, but I lacked the confidence to hang £5k of heavy bike on a back carrier. And certainly not two bikes! Roof racks are an option for some, but lifting one up at the end of the day when I've damaged my shoulder in a fall....... err, no thanks, not for me!

iainc

Jul 21, 2019
Glasgow
Also UK and just had an aftermarket towbar fitted to a 2 yr old Audi - no insurance or warranty issues. Have gone for the Thule XT rack recommended earlier and very impressed with it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles