Transporting e-bikes in the rain strategies

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
I understand that most e-bikes have an "IP Rating" (ingress progression) code that protect against the ingress of dirt and water, however was wondering what "extra" strategies people take to ensure no water gets into their battery and motor units.

Not too concerned about washing the bike (easy to avoid specific areas) but am more concerned about travelling.

Specifically when your bike is on a rack behind a vehicle and a heavy downpour of rain occurs. The exposure to the updraft and turbulence of strong winds and rain from all angles is what has me concerned.

Does anybody take specific strategies to help mitigate this risk ?

Cheers .. (insert beer here)

towzer

Aug 31, 2018
Oxfordshire
Have a look at motorhome bike covers, see fiamma and taylormade, (lots of others available) our taylormade is now 5 years old and going strong, also hides the bike and we use a kanulock (locking tie down) as security and antiflap

Chester

Apr 20, 2018
London
I did a 3 hour drive in heavy rain with my shimano powered ebike on the roof and had no issues .

the battery was inside the car

Russell

Dec 16, 2018
Iow
Is there a roof box you can fit a bike in?
I'm contemplating making one for the shogun.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My Focus Jam2 goes on the tow bar rack and I have had zero problems (so far!)

If I put a cover on the whole bike my fuel consumption would get even worse!

The sort of thing I was thinking of was something like cling film, only stronger; a bit like wet suit material held on with Velcro. Over the down tube and motor area with another piece for the display.

TransAmMan

Sep 18, 2019
Canada
I'll have a look at those bag options (y)

I have 3 M plastic all around the battery compartment, but nothing down around the motor.

I also have a truck with bike rack (Pipeline racks) in the bed, however on family vacations tend to take our minivan with a Thule rack on the hitch.

Last edited:

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
"IP Rating" (ingress progression)

had no idea what ip stood for, thanks.

leave the battery on to seal the connections in the rain.

i've got a hitch mount rack, mileage drops from 29 to 22.

bsquared

Feb 17, 2021
Schaumburg, IL
had no idea what ip stood for, thanks.

leave the battery on to seal the connections in the rain.

i've got a hitch mount rack, mileage drops from 29 to 22.

i've got a hitch mount rack, mileage drops from 29 to 22. WOW! That seems like an excessive drop.

Landy Andy

Feb 8, 2021
Herts
My advice would be not to use a hitch mount, especially if bike is uncovered, if the roads have been salted.

Few years ago drove to Wales (6hrs away) and as we got further from home entered areas that had snow, and had been salted/gritted. It ruined the two bikes that were on the rear rack. Corrosion occurred everywhere, even though they were washed upon arrival.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles