Transporting bike complete Inside car

Focus73

Jan 16, 2018
Fylde Coast
Evening
Just wondering if anyone drives a Ford Kuga and knows if you can fit a medium bike in the back easily without removing the wheels. I’m not keen on using a rack or taking the wheels out.

Thanks

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
I can't imagine many will fit in a kuga without taking off the front wheel. It has a similar loading bay to a focus. My whyte doesn't fit in my car (not a ford) because the height from the floor to the top of the handlebars is more than my old giant which did just fit into the boot fully assembled (and it's wheelbase is about 30cm longer).

I don't mind removing the front wheel. It is the back one that would be a deal breaker for me personally.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
As Rarh has already said ..its no real trouble dropping the front wheel out ..and I'd rather have this minor "hassle" than transporting the bike ( any bike ) on the outside of the car ..
From a security point of view it wouldn't be the first time that a nice bike on a rack had been followed ..then nicked at a later date ..

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
We've got an 18 plate Ford kuga and there's no way any adult bike will go in without taking 1 wheel off.

I get my large wild fs in the back upright but the front wheel has to come off

Focus73

Jan 16, 2018
Fylde Coast
We've got an 18 plate Ford kuga and there's no way any adult bike will go in without taking 1 wheel off.

I get my large wild fs in the back upright but the front wheel has to come off
Thanks for your reply I appreciate the info. ??

Darren

Sep 25, 2019
Warwick
We should have a list on here if all the cars an eMtb will fit in without taking the wheels off. Would be quite handy.
This thread has a title that works for that...I'll add my old car - I'm interested too as I'll be buying a new car once lockdown ends.
Volvo XC40 - need to remove front wheel.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
We should have a list on here if all the cars an eMtb will fit in without taking the wheels off. Would be quite handy.

I think the list would contain mainly vans mate ?

My Levo wouldn’t fit in the discovery 5 I had so can’t see many cars fitting a 29’er without taking the front wheel out.

EebStrider

Apr 18, 2020
Surrey, UK
This thread has a title that works for that...I'll add my old car - I'm interested too as I'll be buying a new car once lockdown ends.
Volvo XC40 - need to remove front wheel.

Yep, it won't fit in an XC40 with both wheels on, as my wife has one and I've tried it!

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I can't imagine many will fit in a kuga without taking off the front wheel. It has a similar loading bay to a focus. My whyte doesn't fit in my car (not a ford) because the height from the floor to the top of the handlebars is more than my old giant which did just fit into the boot fully assembled (and it's wheelbase is about 30cm longer).

I don't mind removing the front wheel. It is the back one that would be a deal breaker for me personally.
I read first that the wife doesn’t fit in the car. Probably a dyslexia...sorry, read it again and it was whyte

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Buy a van ? my Tramsit custom is bigger. Faster & more comfortable to drive than the Peugeot 2008 we had & a better family car win win

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Not quite. Octavia Estate. There's length left to move back but there isn't the width to get the front wheel in past the cars wheel arch to get the bars rotated enough to not smash the rear window. :D
IMG_20210204_083717.jpg
IMG_20210204_083712.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
A Ford Galaxy with all but 1 rear seat folded down (so 3 useable seats) will take 3 full adult bikes laying down inside with both wheels still fitted to each bike.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Merc e class estate will swallows any bike whole with room to spare, just Chuck it in - several smaller estate will take a bike whole but with a bit of buggering about - take off the rear passenger headrests, if you put front wheel in first, and then angle it down into the rear footwell, with bars between front seats, some bigger hatchbacks will also do this

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Last couple of cars I have got I have taken bike to dealer to see how easy it is to get it in - flat lid bay with rear seats down and no boot lip make a big difference.

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Ideally i'd have a small van or bigger estate. But i love my octavia and it's hard to justify ditching the wife's hatchback for something more expensive. For the sake of removing the front wheel (which i can do with the bike sat in the car, front wheel overhanging) i think i can put up with it. :rolleyes: It's just a good all round wagon for the price it cost me 5 years ago. Replacing the octavia with something bigger but similarly priced i'd miss the 300bhp.

Back on topic i guess, you'd need either the E class / 5 Series / a6 size estate or something MPV/van based that has the height to stand the bike upright. I think the standing height of the bike is underestimated in a lot of cases.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
BMW 5 series Estate will not fit a medium Levo without removing the front wheel

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
We had this conversation in another thread, almost post for post, but I will recap what I said there - when I was looking for a new wagon in later 2019 (ended up with E-Class estate), the only estates I could fit my large E-Sommet in where the Skoda Superb, E-Class and Volvo V90.

5 series and A6 a no go (was surprised at 5 series as my old E39 could fit it in). Didn't try a Passat as presumed it would be like an A6.

What I was looking at was a car where you can literally chuck the whole bike in, no mucking around with getting the right angle, and also with no load lip - the e-class does this.

I had a c-class estate before and you could with some fing and blinding get the whole bike in, but it want a quick job, and would inevitable scratch up the car inside, so I just took the wheel off.

Of course MPV's will do the job easily, just my Mrs won't have one, and she drives the car day to day.

Of course the downside to the big estates, is they are big cars if you live in town, but I live out in the sticks so no problem.

Having said all that my main bike transport is my CLA estate, much smaller, but I put the bike on the roof, less facking around, no mud in the car, but inevitable one day I will drive into a restricted height barrier with the bike on :cool:

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Ideally i'd have a small van or bigger estate. But i love my octavia and it's hard to justify ditching the wife's hatchback for something more expensive. For the sake of removing the front wheel (which i can do with the bike sat in the car, front wheel overhanging) i think i can put up with it. :rolleyes: It's just a good all round wagon for the price it cost me 5 years ago. Replacing the octavia with something bigger but similarly priced i'd miss the 300bhp.

Back on topic i guess, you'd need either the E class / 5 Series / a6 size estate or something MPV/van based that has the height to stand the bike upright. I think the standing height of the bike is underestimated in a lot of cases.
Did you have your Octavia re-mapped ?
Even in VRS format its got nowhere near 300bhp..( standard )..

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Back in the day I had aMK1 LCR used to take lower part of rear seat out, fold backs right down remove headrest & fold passenger seat flat I could get my bike in & a lot of windsurf kit in 1 board 2masts 2-3sails & boom then could go beach windsurfing then off to Friston mountain biking

Rahr85

E*POWAH Master
Sep 6, 2020
nottingham
Did you have your Octavia re-mapped ?
Even in VRS format its got nowhere near 300bhp..( standard )..
Yeah. Had it until the end of the pcp deal, bought it outright then did a remap, its a much better car as a result with the dsg. Actually quite fun around donington Park.

Funkeydunk

Subscriber
May 28, 2019
Uk
So I have an Bee mer X3, and my levo goes in lying flat with the front wheel off, with the back seats down too, in fact I can get two bikes in the back (careful not to scratch them). i have a boot liner that’s specifically tailored to the boot. However slinging a muddy bike in the back still makes a mess. My mate has a Ford C-Max (I think) and his Merida goes in upright with the front wheel off, this is due to the low boot floor.

Shjay

Apr 30, 2019
Kent
Yeah. Had it until the end of the pcp deal, bought it outright then did a remap, its a much better car as a result with the dsg. Actually quite fun around donington Park.
What map did you go for? Revo? I had Custom Code on my LCR

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles