TRANCE X E+ PRO 29 1 or Trek Rail 7

Bankmaggot

Dec 11, 2020
Seattle
Need some advice on which bike to get. I hike mountains trails and am looking for a trail bike to complement my hiking activities. No parks or down hill. I have a hard tail and find the ride too jarring as im heading down rocky, and rooty trails. This will be my 1st FS. I want a bike that will serve me a long time. I dont mind spending the money up front. I want reliability and low maintenance. Im looking for the Toyota equivalent of an ebike, if you will. I've narrowed my selection to TRANCE X E+ PRO 29 1 or Trek Rail 7. Im open to others. I dont know much about bike spec to make the right decision. This is why I'm here. Im leaning toward the Giant due to the motor reliability and fox low maintenance interval. I may be completely wrong. Advice? Im in Seattle, USA. Thanks in advanced!

Crawford919

Aug 7, 2019
USA
My personal experience is this: Rented at Trek for a day that was new, I was the first to ride it. It would cut off if you hit a rough section of the trail or medium drops. You could hit the power button and it would power back up until the next time it cut off. Also it had cable rattle like you wouldn’t believe, chipped very easily and handled like a Huffy from Walmart. The dealer said they knew about the power cut off issues but had no fix. This was in 2019. Just recently we rented a 2020 Rail at a bike park so my two sons and I could all ride together. All the Trek rental bikes in their fleet had tape around the batteries and I ask them why and they said the batteries would sometimes fall out on big jumps! LOL. My kids alternated that day riding the Trek and our Giants and both boys who are excellent riders said the Trek was absolutely scary to jump and ride at speed downhill. With all this rambling I will get to my point. We have a 19 Trance E and a 20 Reign E and they have been flawless and hanlde better than anything I’ve ridden. Great power, great spec for the price and great bikes.

MinusPrevious

Sep 5, 2019
So.Cal
Stick w/Giant. They made the TREK frame so my bet is stay w/the large manufacturer & you may see some "economy of scale". Pretty sure, i felt that price scale on my 2019 E-Trance. The Maestro rear suspension works real well!

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
My mate and I just went through the same dilemma for his first ebike. He is a Trek fan. I have a Giant and chose it on value of spec. Trance E+1 with 1900km on it since June still going strong after drive chain replacement at 1700km. Chain £50, Front ring £30 and cassette £99.

The 2021 Giant E 29 is better value. E.g. XT vs SLX etc.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles