Trance X E+ Pro 2021

Miestenmies

Jun 26, 2021
FI
Hi fellow riders!

I bought My very first emtb, Trance E+ Pro 1 few weeks ago and I've been rocking it almost daily.

Question I have is: Do we know is it possible to increase assist to 32km/h with USA firmware? I'm not so keen on getting those speedboxes as I would just blow my battery with that, 32km/h would be nice when pedaling from A to B between trails.

Mods are free to delete My post If this should have been posted on de resteoction section.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Hi fellow riders!

I bought My very first emtb, Trance E+ Pro 1 few weeks ago and I've been rocking it almost daily.

Question I have is: Do we know is it possible to increase assist to 32km/h with USA firmware? I'm not so keen on getting those speedboxes as I would just blow my battery with that, 32km/h would be nice when pedaling from A to B between trails.

Mods are free to delete My post If this should have been posted on de resteoction section.

As it’s your first Emtb I would give yourself a chance to get used to it.

When I first collected my first Trance I was disappointed in how it performed.

I was given a tip and told that speeding up cadence would get the best from the motor. Counter intuitive but it worked.

I also hated how the bike seemed to try and stop as you hit the limiter, this needs getting used to and the cadence increase reduced the sensation.

Miestenmies

Jun 26, 2021
FI
As it’s your first Emtb I would give yourself a chance to get used to it.

When I first collected my first Trance I was disappointed in how it performed.

I was given a tip and told that speeding up cadence would get the best from the motor. Counter intuitive but it worked.

I also hated how the bike seemed to try and stop as you hit the limiter, this needs getting used to and the cadence increase reduced the sensation.
I've also noticed that this motor likes to have somewhat high cadence and because of that i usually keep a bit higher gear so when im cruising around with my usual cadence im right about that 25kmh... It still would not hurt to have that 32kmh assist

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
I've also noticed that this motor likes to have somewhat high cadence and because of that i usually keep a bit higher gear so when im cruising around with my usual cadence im right about that 25kmh... It still would not hurt to have that 32kmh assist

A chap local to me has a derestricted bike but is still happy to keep his KOMs on Strava. Now that is an example of cheating and defeats to fun of trying to get a KOM as it’s impossible on a “normal” ebike.

Riding in mainly woods/narrow bridleways I am happy with 25kmh. If I had more speed I’d use it and probably come a cropper!

Miestenmies

Jun 26, 2021
FI
Do you guys prefer maestro in high of low position and why?

I test rode with high position, asked dealer to change My bike to low when i went to pick it up. I rode week with low and now changed it to high pos.

So far I have not noticed much of a difference other than bike feels a bit "higher" as it should, a whole 10mm higher.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
I guess i have no choice, i ride where others do not, too many bad rocks so i need high and i use bigger tires to get every bit of clearance i can get. Some who ride the well manicured trails like a formula 1 low position but my bike is a jeep it goes everywhere. Last year my Stance E came with 2.6 so i tried them, than 2.8 than 3.0 and bingo it was better matched to my riding area. Those trails are popular in the winter when 2 feet of snow hide the bad stuff.

Miestenmies

Jun 26, 2021
FI
I guess i have no choice, i ride where others do not, too many bad rocks so i need high and i use bigger tires to get every bit of clearance i can get. Some who ride the well manicured trails like a formula 1 low position but my bike is a jeep it goes everywhere. Last year my Stance E came with 2.6 so i tried them, than 2.8 than 3.0 and bingo it was better matched to my riding area. Those trails are popular in the winter when 2 feet of snow hide the bad stuff.
Does 3" tires fit with 2021 Trance x e+ ?
I googled that 2,8" is max.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Does 3" tires fit with 2021 Trance x e+ ?
I googled that 2,8" is max.
Those are 2 different frames. In 2020 wheels were 27.5, rims were 35mm and i had no issue. Giant said 2.8 were max, i emailed the fork manufacturer they replied in mm but it meant 2.9 was their suggested max. I am awaiting a 2021 so i read the Trance is OK on 3.0 and from the extra clearance i saw on the LBS the 2.6 were not close to max so i say for sure 2.8 and probably 3.0 will be no problem. Just like the Stance E 2021 comes on 2.4 it can surely take 2.6 and i read a guy uses a 2.8 for rear so they kind of play safe with numbers in case you have wobble but a straight tire fits.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
Hi, I'm +- 5'9" (175-176cm) tall with +- 31" (80-81cm) inseam. The Giant web size chart says I'm in Medium. My regular (non-electric) Giant Trance X Advanced Pro 29 is Medium too. Is it true that there is an issue with weight distribution due to longer chainstay than reach (472mm vs. 452mm)? Thank you guys in advance.
I am 173cm and the Medium is just fine and would be able to house someone taller easily.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
792km into my X Pro 1 29.

I have suffered motor “switch off” a dozen times however it’s behaved for the last 150km since adjusting the position of the battery lock mechanism and making sure the battery is fitted tightly in place.

Having had it’s predecessor it is definitely a better package and Yamaha motor is smooth if a bit noisy.

I’d obviously recommend but haven’t ridden anything else (apart from Haibike in 2017/2018) I don’t think I’ve ever test ridden a bike before buying.

View attachment 65279
View attachment 65280
How do you 'adjust the position of the battery lock mechanism' ? Mine only screws closed so I'd be interested.

Kingerz

Jul 11, 2021
Australia
Picked up the 2 this month, it was going for AU$7 300 in my LBS, the 1 had some nice features but not enough to justify the extra cost for me and the blue colour really impressed. I've put XT levers on but am finding the 4-piston MT520 calipers staggeringly good, easily beating 2-piston XTs (and Codes), so I plan to leave them alone. They take icetech pads, too. The 2 is nicely specced with Deore, SLX and XT parts and the 3 would also be a great buy and far beat a Levo for value. The exception is Giant has a 2 year warranty and Specialized has 4.

So far I'm loving it and it generally does better all round than my 2018 Kenevo Expert, which has been an excellent bike, with the exception of the app, which only works if I have wifi and wireless turned off. I only use it to see the exact battery percentage, so this doesn't bother me.
quality goods (2).jpg

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
Does anyone know torque specs on the motor mount bolts....I had some creaking I could feel through the pedals and realized some of the motor mounts had come loose

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
There is a manual in this thread. It has a procedure for battery adjustment though using a special tool. The basic operation can be done through trial and error until you like the fit.

Last edited:

Phil F

Jul 1, 2021
HIGH PEAK, UK
Hi everybody - first post

I got my Trance E+ Pro 1 a few months ago and absolutely love it. Think I've cycled more over the last few months that I have over the past few years! Totally fell in love with mtb-ing again. I had a Giant Anthem 29 before this, so it didn't take too much time to get used to.

I was surprised by the weight of the bike - like, I knew how heavy it would be but was still surprised when I picked it up for the first time. But, it is no heavier than the majority of emtbs that I see around the trails. And once you are riding, it really doesn't feel heavy at all.

In terms of specs, what have your upgrades been? Or what would you like to upgrade?

240630845_10158289851416905_8135029887480647140_n.jpeg

LowLow

Oct 30, 2020
Los Angrles
I got a longer dropper post (210mm from OneUp), some high rise bars, a -2d Angleset from works components, and some ODI grips. I also put DD tires in the rear. Most of these upgrades are because I’m riding pretty steep and rocky trails and I feel that the bike is a bit front heavy. Depending on where/how you ride, none of it may be “necessary.”

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
I also installed an angle headset. Mine is at 1.5 degrees. It was the best mod to the bike. I'm on a small so the long chain stay felt extra long. Now it feels more balanced as the front center increased. It's also better downhill.

After that a dvo coil with progressive spring was the next best upgrade.

UnreasonableMuppet

Jan 11, 2022
THE YOO ESS OF AYE
Any idea about the bike mileage? The ride control app says I have already ridden it 97 miles. I wish that was true, however sadly I haven't had enough time to ride it that far. Anyone know how to calibrate the distance?

RAYDAHS

Dec 4, 2021
USA
Hello, I just sold my 2021 Trance X 29 (2) size L.

I originally wanted the 2021 Trance E+ Pro 1 due to the component specs and color, but I can't get one locally.

Last weekend, I rode a 2021 Trance E+ Pro 3 in (M), the cockpit seemed cramped, but I didn't have my riser bars on it and
it was shifting poorly, so I wasn't completely focused on the test ride. I also have an (XL) as an option (didn't ride it though).
(note, I had trouble seeing the white lights that indicate what power level I was in).

I also had the chance to ride a (L) 2022 TRANCE X ADVANCED E+ 2, which was shifting bad as well. I kept feeling this lag
between shifts in all modes, so the sales guy pulled the app out and put all the settings in all modes to 100% and it fixed it (weird huh).

Honestly, I don't need Carbon, if available I would simply get the Aluminum 2022 TRANCE X E+ 3, but the regional rep
has no idea when I could get my hands on one.

So my question to you guys in this thread that own 2021 versions, knowing what you know now, would it be worth the extra
$1500 (new motor, new ride controller display and carbon) on the 2022 TRANCE X ADVANCED E+ 2?

Thanks in advance..

here's the geo numbers from the bike I just sold and the medium and x-large options for 2021 version,
IMG_2922.jpg

Last edited:

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
It sounds a bit confusing, you talk about med and xl i will give my opinion on that.
The shorter the better. It is easy to put a longuer stem for a few $.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Hello, I just sold my 2021 Trance X 29 (2) size L.

I originally wanted the 2021 Trance E+ Pro 1 due to the component specs and color, but I can't get one locally.

Last weekend, I rode a 2021 Trance E+ Pro 3 in (M), the cockpit seemed cramped, but I didn't have my riser bars on it and
it was shifting poorly, so I wasn't completely focused on the test ride. I also have an (XL) as an option (didn't ride it though).
(note, I had trouble seeing the white lights that indicate what power level I was in).

I also had the chance to ride a (L) 2022 TRANCE X ADVANCED E+ 2, which was shifting bad as well. I kept feeling this lag
between shifts in all modes, so the sales guy pulled the app out and put all the settings in all modes to 100% and it fixed it (weird huh).

Honestly, I don't need Carbon, if available I would simply get the Aluminum 2022 TRANCE X E+ 3, but the regional rep
has no idea when I could get my hands on one.

So my question to you guys in this thread that own 2021 versions, knowing what you know now, would it be worth the extra
$1500 (new motor, new ride controller display and carbon) on the 2022 TRANCE X ADVANCED E+ 2?

Thanks in advance..

here's the geo numbers from the bike I just sold and the medium and x-large options for 2021 version, View attachment 86526
Hi, I have had 2021 trance x e pro 3 for over a year now, I was so impressed with it I bought the Advanced version 2022 last month.
I found the motor performance was weaker than the 2021 even after app tuning and also a screeching noise from the motor That I couldn't put up with, so sadly I returned it. Apart from the motor issues the bike was very good, much more lively than the 2021, I did find the controller a little fiddly after the big one on the 21 version which I find quite handy being big as when I get myself in trouble I can just spam the power button to get out, which I found awkward on the new one. Is it worth the upgrade ? for me no, because of the motor noise, incidentally, I tested 3 other models in the shop, all with the 2022 motor and they were all the same so its a feature of the new motor. The advanced is deffo a step up from the 2021 but the difference is not night and day. I think if your happy with alloy then go for that and spend the £1500 on juicy upgrades t make it your perfect bike. I did axs dropper and shifter on mine, job done.
Just a note, The stand over height figures are printed back to front, ie 715 should be small and 734 large etc

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
No matter which bike, if you are a size Large, I wouldn't get a Medium or XL... The LBS can normally chase one down by offering a trade (Medium for Large) with another LBS, at least that's what my local shop did to get me the right size bike, Large for Medium in my case 😊
Good luck!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles