Trance X E+ Pro 2021

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
Hi,

My demo Trance has 760 bars and a 60mm stem in XL.

does anyone else have a 2021 Trance X and know bars and stem length?

cheers
Rob

40DBB7BB-C53F-4261-AF21-2B067D349B94.jpeg

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Then yes.
The removal is easy and the latch secure. The latch is robust and easy to adjust.

The 2019 Trances had trouble with the batteries not inserting far enough in the lower battery mount, and failing to engage. Sudden Power-off would result. This was remedied with a service kit, a spacer under the battery mount. Some reports from 2020 trances doing the same thing trickled in, but so far 2021 looks good.

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Mine was starting to loosen up, with a small amount of slop felt vertically at the rear wheel. I took it all apart, greased everything, reassembled. It feels good now.

I also cut some foam, and stuffed the area below the shock- that fills with mud and water- with it.

aja07

May 13, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Mine was starting to loosen up, with a small amount of slop felt vertically at the rear wheel. I took it all apart, greased everything, reassembled. It feels good now.

I also cut some foam, and stuffed the area below the shock- that fills with mud and water- with it.
Thanks, took the shock off, could not see any wear and tear so put it all back with a little grease and re-torqued all suspension bolts to spec, and all good now. Have to look at the foam trick now.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Thanks, took the shock off, could not see any wear and tear so put it all back with a little grease and re-torqued all suspension bolts to spec, and all good now. Have to look at the foam trick now.
Once lower shock bolt loosens up, it starts acting like a very bad DU bushing in the lower shock. Problem is... there is no bushing in the shock!

When the bolt is torqued properly, and the bearings are doing their job, the lower shock is clamped in a vice, with the whole works rotating on the bearings in the frame.

It's a very robust design, but the bolt has to stay properly torqued.

Edit
Lol. I took the trance19 out for a spin today (it's been neglected lately as my love for the X blossoms) and the lower shock bolt was loose. This needs to be an every ride inspection I think.

Last edited:

aja07

May 13, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Once lower shock bolt loosens up, it starts acting like a very bad DU bushing in the lower shock. Problem is... there is no bushing in the shock!

When the bolt is torqued properly, and the bearings are doing their job, the lower shock is clamped in a vice, with the whole works rotating on the bearings in the frame.

It's a very robust design, but the bolt has to stay properly torqued.

Edit
Lol. I took the trance19 out for a spin today (it's been neglected lately as my love for the X blossoms) and the lower shock bolt was loose. This needs to be an every ride inspection I think.

Yes, I was surprised to find no DU bushing. I agree torqueing the lower shock bolt correctly is critical to avoid the knocking/play. This will now be a regular maintenance check for me.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
The X is sorted. Meduim cage xTr derailleur, 10-45 SLX cassette, 32T CR.
It works almost as good as my 10 speed at 3 times the cost. We'll see how well it holds up.

20210121_112520.jpg

Edit

Added grips to match the trance19..like the metal caps at end.

1611677998710.jpg

They do wear out fast though, only outlasted the drivetrains by 5 or 6 times.
20210126_092858.jpg

Last edited:

AKRider

Feb 27, 2021
USA
The X is sorted. Meduim cage xTr derailleur, 10-45 SLX cassette, 32T CR.
It works almost as good as my 10 speed at 3 times the cost. We'll see how well it holds up.

View attachment 50621

Edit

Added grips to match the trance19..like the metal caps at end.

View attachment 51169

They do wear out fast though, only outlasted the drivetrains by 5 or 6 times.
View attachment 51170
Can you share what fenders those are and if you are happy with them? I live in a wet climate and could use a good set.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Can you share what fenders those are and if you are happy with them? I live in a wet climate and could use a good set.
I like em fine enough, though better may be available by now. The one in front is a Crud XL, and the rear is a Mucky Nutz Mug- Gaurd Long front trimmed to fit.

duri1

Nov 3, 2020
Slovakia
Hi, I'm +- 5'9" (175-176cm) tall with +- 31" (80-81cm) inseam. The Giant web size chart says I'm in Medium. My regular (non-electric) Giant Trance X Advanced Pro 29 is Medium too. Is it true that there is an issue with weight distribution due to longer chainstay than reach (472mm vs. 452mm)? Thank you guys in advance.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Hi, I'm +- 5'9" (175-176cm) tall with +- 31" (80-81cm) inseam. The Giant web size chart says I'm in Medium. My regular (non-electric) Giant Trance X Advanced Pro 29 is Medium too. Is it true that there is an issue with weight distribution due to longer chainstay than reach (472mm vs. 452mm)? Thank you guys in advance.
I saw a video that said this is a well balanced year/model. Mine should get here in 3 weeks.

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Nice bike and i have to ad very nice pic. We had nice views like that but last summer was the worst drought,
that climate problem is NOW. We have tons of lakes, no water, we have rocks and holes. In Quebec, Canada
we were lucky there was no wind so next to my home the 2 forest fires in the last 12 hours were contained. We
see a lot more of some birds, a lot less of other birds. That means vegies, farmers will not feed us.
Hopefuly my 2021 Trance will be available at my shop this week :cool:

phutureproof

Jun 4, 2021
Oxford
There's an XL Pro 1 at a bike store around 2 hours drive for me. I may take a trip down this weekend and swing my leg over.
I do have a deposit on an XL Whyte E160 S v2, but I'd be unable to check that out for size before it arrives at my house.

How do you think it will compare to the Whyte? The sizes are similar, though the Giant is slightly longer in it's reach (508/517mm compared to 505mm of the Whyte).

Whyte is Bosche of course which tends to get good reviews...I think (still learning!)

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
There's an XL Pro 1 at a bike store around 2 hours drive for me. I may take a trip down this weekend and swing my leg over.
I do have a deposit on an XL Whyte E160 S v2, but I'd be unable to check that out for size before it arrives at my house.

How do you think it will compare to the Whyte? The sizes are similar, though the Giant is slightly longer in it's reach (508/517mm compared to 505mm of the Whyte).

Whyte is Bosche of course which tends to get good reviews...I think (still learning!)
I hope my answer will be of a little help. For 3 years i have been reading a lot about EMTB. I had a HT Haibike wich was **full Yamaha**. I loved it and i mean totaly what was from Haibike and the rest from Yamaha. It was stolen so 11 months ago i bought a new Giant/Yamaha Stance E + and also loved it. So from personal experience Yamaha is great but a friend loves his Cannondale/Bosch so i would buy either a Yamaha or a Bosch.
Last february i ordered a Trance 2021 Giant/Yamaha it might be here this week. In Canada Giant is able to respect their delivery dates or sometimes there a 1 or 2 weeks delay probably due from the border.
So i recommand anyone in Canada to buy a Giant/Yamaha well, if they like the bike because the price/value is unbeatable and the reliability is there. In 11 months i changed my chain twice and that is is. Pedal, smile, recharge. Giant is selling his version of Yamaha maybe the software or the battery is not 100% like some Haibike or other manufacturer is using. Different bike brands are experiencing different delays so check if the other is ***likely*** to reach you at a date you can live with. For me early june was perfect i knew selling my other bike would be no problem.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
792km into my X Pro 1 29.

I have suffered motor “switch off” a dozen times however it’s behaved for the last 150km since adjusting the position of the battery lock mechanism and making sure the battery is fitted tightly in place.

Having had it’s predecessor it is definitely a better package and Yamaha motor is smooth if a bit noisy.

I’d obviously recommend but haven’t ridden anything else (apart from Haibike in 2017/2018) I don’t think I’ve ever test ridden a bike before buying.

View attachment 65279
View attachment 65280

Last edited:

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
792km into my X Pro 1 29.

I have suffered motor “switch off” a dozen times however it’s behaved for the last 150km since adjusting the position of the battery lock mechanism and making sure the battery is fitted tightly in place.

Having had it’s predecessor it is definitely a better package and Yamaha motor is smooth if a bit noisy.

I’d obviously recommend but haven’t ridden anything else (apart from Haibike in 2017/2018) I don’t think I’ve ever test ridden a bike….

View attachment 64990
View attachment 64991
View attachment 64992
Thanks for your input. I am using a 10 years old laptop and each of your 3 links did not work for me.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles