Trance X E+ Pro 2021

aja07

May 13, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
And it's ready to take out on the trails. Spent 2 days setting it up and covering with Frameskin. First e-bike, slowly getting used to cadence requirements and how to get most out of motor vs physical input, learning curve. First trail ride Sunday.

20201030_052252301_iOS.jpg

gipsy

May 29, 2019
Croatia
And it's ready to take out on the trails. Spent 2 days setting it up and covering with Frameskin. First e-bike, slowly getting used to cadence requirements and how to get most out of motor vs physical input, learning curve. First trail ride Sunday.

View attachment 43224
Can you link

View attachment 43224
Can you

View attachment 43224
Can you link frameskin priduct please and tell us how is done?
Thanks

aja07

May 13, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Can you link

Can you

Can you link frameskin priduct please and tell us how is done?
Thanks

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain

120€ it looks perfect

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
can you guys set up the assist modes with the app???

For me it doesn't save it, is working meanwhile im using the bike, but if I disconnect the app the modes are like factory set up.

Also for Eco mode is just 50 or 75, for older bikes there is also 100 option.

And the point is, if you go to the tunning menu no option is slected for ECO mode, 50 or 75 are not selected.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
@MrTeno2U Does your 19 Trance battery fit/work in the new one? (thinking of a mega adventure ride with 625wh + old 500wh battery! ;-) )
Cheers.
The covers make it impossible to try swapping the batteries without removing the covers. The batteries look identical to me sans the covers.

If it was just the cover needing removed with the two cover screws, I would have already tried to swap the batteries, but the gasket that is part of the cover, appears to be glued to the battery itself, and I dont have a need (yet) to test, that justifies the trouble.

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Check this out, great day:

yes, these batteries are same size and are fully compatible.
What is this Instagram thing? Yet another confusing social network application by the looks of it. Is there info in there, or just a picture? I seriously cant tell, though I am interested in a direct comparisons between the two bikes. My personal experience maybe that I like the 2019 geometry and handling with 27.5 wheels better ? than the new 29er.

Last edited:

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
What is this Instagram thing? Yet another confusing social network application by the looks of it. Is there info in there, or just a picture? I seriously cant tell, though I am interested in a direct comparisons between the two bikes. My personal experience maybe that I like the 2019 geometry and handling with 27.5 wheels better ? than the new 29er.

just a pic to compare both wheel sizes? I can tell you also a quick review about differences between both bikes as I was riding Trance E+1 27'5" and now I'm riding Trance E+1 29"

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Anyone having a problem getting the battery to charge to 100% while on the bike?
Not sure what charger came with your bike, but the Giant Chargers I've seen (including mine) has a button that will only charge the battery up to 60% (ideal for long term storage). This button is often mistaken for an 'ON' or 'start charging' button and if pressed, the activity indicator light will go from flashing red (charging) to solid orange when 60% has been reached and so it will no longer charge any further.

If you want to fully charge the battery, you need to leave this button alone - then it will fully charge until it shows a solid green light. You just plug the charger to the bike first - and then plug to the mains without doing anything else. I always do the opposite when finished charging... unplug the charger from the mains... wait for the lights to go off... then unplug the charger from the battery.

If you're already aware of this, then there might be a problem with your charger or battery.

aja07

May 13, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
It's the latest smart charger, and no, I have not pressed the button to limit the charge to 60%.
While on the bike it charges pretty quick to 80% then goes into trickle mode but even after 12+ hrs it is only at 90%, the green light is still flashing and never goes solid.
If I then continue to charge with the battery off the bike it will complete the charge in reasonable time.
It almost seems that there is a power leak (short/pinched wire) somewhere eating up the trickle charge when on the bike.
Next step I will check if battery loses any charge over a few days while on the bike. If it does lose charge, would probably mean a leak somewhere.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
It's the latest smart charger, and no, I have not pressed the button to limit the charge to 60%.
While on the bike it charges pretty quick to 80% then goes into trickle mode but even after 12+ hrs it is only at 90%, the green light is still flashing and never goes solid.
If I then continue to charge with the battery off the bike it will complete the charge in reasonable time.
It almost seems that there is a power leak (short/pinched wire) somewhere eating up the trickle charge when on the bike.
Next step I will check if battery loses any charge over a few days while on the bike. If it does lose charge, would probably mean a leak somewhere.
Big brother is watching... they're using your bike's new bluetooth capability to search your devices for shopping histories!! o_O?:giggle:

LowLow

Oct 30, 2020
Los Angrles
Hi. I’m new to the forum and recently got the 2021 Trance. Can someone tell me where I can find an extra derailleur hanger for it?

Also, on today’s ride, the remote for the motor froze on me (none of the buttons worked) and I had to take out the battery and put it back in. it happened again but this time with the bike off. Anyone have that happen to them?

I also recently downloaded the new app but couldn’t find where the page was for tuning the motor/battery. Is that still possible? If so, can someone explain to me how to do it on the app?

Thanks for your help!

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Hi. I’m new to the forum and recently got the 2021 Trance. Can someone tell me where I can find an extra derailleur hanger for it?

Also, on today’s ride, the remote for the motor froze on me (none of the buttons worked) and I had to take out the battery and put it back in. it happened again but this time with the bike off. Anyone have that happen to them?

I also recently downloaded the new app but couldn’t find where the page was for tuning the motor/battery. Is that still possible? If so, can someone explain to me how to do it on the app?

Thanks for your help!

This is not good. My new Trance X is also in the shop after a bout with cronic power down syndrome (CPDS).Mine had only a few easy miles. Not crashed. Not wet. Just bricked for no good reason.

I ordered the first hanger doe my 2019 from the local bike shop, then once I had the part number, I scoured the internet.

The hanger on my now out of action 2021 trance x looks the same as the 2019. If it is in fact the same... then this part should do it.

Good luck. Let's hope Giant hasn't botched this new bike.

TonTonUB

May 27, 2020
France
This is not good. My new Trance X is also in the shop after a bout with cronic power down syndrome (CPDS).Mine had only a few easy miles. Not crashed. Not wet. Just bricked for no good reason.

I ordered the first hanger doe my 2019 from the local bike shop, then once I had the part number, I scoured the internet.

The hanger on my now out of action 2021 trance x looks the same as the 2019. If it is in fact the same... then this part should do it.

Good luck. Let's hope Giant hasn't botched this new bike.

Hello Mr Teno2U,

I may reply 'out of topic', maybe, maybe not.
But in case it can help, i try.

I own a reign E+ from 2020.
After a few rides (no crash, schock or anything), it started to have power issues (anomaly code 1 and 4).
I had to shut down the bike and restart. Sometimes it solved the problem, sometimes not.
The best solution i found was to shut down the bike, dismount battery, remount battery and start again, till next errors.

I observed that the errors / shutdown happened when the bike was moving more than 45 degrees, on any axis (but static too, without moving nor pedalling).

So i called my LBS, who wasn't surprised about the issue.
- It's a know issue on giant E+ bikes, he told me, and it's easy to fix. Just bring the bike to shop, it will take a few minutes.

At LBS, the sympathic and expert mecha showed me, after a quick explanation :
- It's a matter of battery connectors, those fixed inside the bike. They are too short, and don't connect deep enough inside the battery. I will mount a small metal wedge under the connector (inside the bike), and it will be all good.

The metal wedge came from Giant, and he had a stock of them.
He did the work in 5 minutes.
And till now, no more shutdowns / battery errors. Even when i move the bike in every direction, any axis, with violence or speed, etc ...

Maybe it's a common knowledge here, even if i never paid attention to the topics about it.

I just hope it will help to solve your problem, or act as a clue.
If not, i hope your LBS will fix it as fast as possible, definitely.
Just keep us informed !

Best ride to everyone !

PS : forgive spelling, grammar, etc ... i'm not an english native, and i know my english is atrocious !

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Hello Mr Teno2U,

I may reply 'out of topic', maybe, maybe not.
But in case it can help, i try.

I own a reign E+ from 2020.
After a few rides (no crash, schock or anything), it started to have power issues (anomaly code 1 and 4).
I had to shut down the bike and restart. Sometimes it solved the problem, sometimes not.
The best solution i found was to shut down the bike, dismount battery, remount battery and start again, till next errors.

I observed that the errors / shutdown happened when the bike was moving more than 45 degrees, on any axis (but static too, without moving nor pedalling).

So i called my LBS, who wasn't surprised about the issue.
- It's a know issue on giant E+ bikes, he told me, and it's easy to fix. Just bring the bike to shop, it will take a few minutes.

At LBS, the sympathic and expert mecha showed me, after a quick explanation :
- It's a matter of battery connectors, those fixed inside the bike. They are too short, and don't connect deep enough inside the battery. I will mount a small metal wedge under the connector (inside the bike), and it will be all good.

The metal wedge came from Giant, and he had a stock of them.
He did the work in 5 minutes.
And till now, no more shutdowns / battery errors. Even when i move the bike in every direction, any axis, with violence or speed, etc ...

Maybe it's a common knowledge here, even if i never paid attention to the topics about it.

I just hope it will help to solve your problem, or act as a clue.
If not, i hope your LBS will fix it as fast as possible, definitely.
Just keep us informed !

Best ride to everyone !

PS : forgive spelling, grammar, etc ... i'm not an english native, and i know my english is atrocious !
Hello and thanks for the information. I'm still waiting for a report from the dealer. Hopefully it's something as simple as what you described.

Smeer

Mar 2, 2020
Vancouver
Hello and thanks for the information. I'm still waiting for a report from the dealer. Hopefully it's something as simple as what you described.

I too had this issue. The intermittent shut off is an issue Giant is aware off but does nit have a solution for yet. With my bike they tested, put in a spacer, and then it would work for one or two rides before going back to the same problem. As of mid october, they didn't have a solution so I had to return the bike. Hopefully you didn't get a faulty one like mine!

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
I too had this issue. The intermittent shut off is an issue Giant is aware off but does nit have a solution for yet. With my bike they tested, put in a spacer, and then it would work for one or two rides before going back to the same problem. As of mid october, they didn't have a solution so I had to return the bike. Hopefully you didn't get a faulty one like mine!
My trance x wasnt intermittent when it shut off. It went dead completely and was never resuscitated!

My dealer rocks (Middletown Cycles in Beautiful Kentucky). They have ordered a new RCE and harness. If this doesn't fix it they will take it back.

Meanwhile, back on the farm, my 2019 Trance has been uber reliable.

It's hard to like Gaint when the bike fails.
it's hard to hate Gaint when the bike is perfect.

I have both scenarios right now so I'm an emotional mess.

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
My dealer swapped me out a new one (transxeP1). I have no idea what went wrong with my original. They had a new medium assembled, and offered me a swap.

Did 6 miles yesterday. And came back with the same impression as before.

Its comfortable but lacks the front grip of the old trance.

The forks have super light damping, and I bottomed out more times, and harder than I liked with 30% sag, open mode, LS-15 clicks from open. I'm now 150 pounds, and dont jump much, so this seems a weird setup on the forks to me. I'll need more time before I start complaining. Perhaps my old forks --2019 trance P1-- were over damped, and I just got used to them?

The gearing is ridiculous for my trails. I have no need to peddle above the assist level of 20 MPH. So like 6 of the 12 gears are useless, this also seems odd? Do people really ride that fast on trails? My trails are tight and twisted, they feel fast at 12 mph. I ordered some proper gearing.

The 12 speed HG+ is an amazing thing..the shifter clicking makes more noise than the chain/cassette when shifting, even under a load. But toss some leaves on that platter and all bets are off; it quickly becomes a jar of marbles. My bet is I will be back on a 10 speed setup within a few weeks. 12 speeds offers a solution, to a problem that doesn't exist--for my ebike-- and sacrifices the one thing I need... ruggedness.

My average cadence was 7 rpm higher on the new motor. My guess ... this is because with the new motor, comes the higher cadence support? the old motor felt like I was mixing paint anytime I peddled above 80 rpm.

The birds up. Gotta go

Last edited:

Herder000

Oct 31, 2019
UK
My dealer swapped me out a new one (transxeP1). I have no idea what went wrong with my original. They had a new medium assembled, and offered me a swap.

Did 6 miles yesterday. And came back with the same impression as before.

Its comfortable but lacks the front grip of the old trance.

The forks have super light damping, and I bottomed out more times, and harder than I liked with 30% sag, open mode, LS-15 clicks from open. I'm now 150 pounds, and dont jump much, so this seems a weird setup on the forks to me. I'll need more time before I start complaining. Perhaps my old forks --2019 trance P1-- were over damped, and I just got used to them?

The gearing is ridiculous for my trails. I have no need to peddle above the assist level of 20 MPH. So like 6 of the 12 gears are useless, this also seems odd? Do people really ride that fast on trails? My trails are tight and twisted, they feel fast at 12 mph. I ordered some proper gearing.

The 12 speed HG+ is an amazing thing..the shifter clicking makes more noise than the chain/cassette when shifting, even under a load. But toss some leaves on that platter and all bets are off; it quickly becomes a jar of marbles. My bet is I will be back on a 10 speed setup within a few weeks. 12 speeds offers a solution, to a problem that doesn't exist--for my ebike-- and sacrifices the one thing I need... ruggedness.

My average cadence was 7 rpm higher on the new motor. My guess ... this is because with the new motor, comes the higher cadence support? the old motor felt like I was mixing paint anytime I peddled above 80 rpm.

The birds up. Gotta go
All very interesting stuff. Have you got a view on the difference in battery range between the 2019 and the 2021 with the bigger battery? I sometimes run low on battery when out on a 3 hour plus rides on my 2019 trance.
Overall it doesn’t sound like the new Trance X is a step up from the older ones? I must admit I’m being drawn to the Bulls Sonic Evo En currently...

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
All very interesting stuff. Have you got a view on the difference in battery range between the 2019 and the 2021 with the bigger battery? I sometimes run low on battery when out on a 3 hour plus rides on my 2019 trance.
Overall it doesn’t sound like the new Trance X is a step up from the older ones? I must admit I’m being drawn to the Bulls Sonic Evo En currently...
No data on range, as I only have about 20 miles on transxe.

It really depends on what you want. The trance19 feels more aggressive to me. Mine was dialed in after 4000 miles though. I've not flipped the chip yet or experimented with sag on the transxeP1. Only offering my perceived experience as I grasp this new bike.

I will add that having these two bikes, that are essentially LEGOs could get interesting. I see a mullet transxeP1 eventually being tried as well as a 27.5 version.

Last edited:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand

Might need to add a token or two on the air leg... to make it more progressive (ramps up more to prevent bottom out while still maintaining your ideal sag)?

I'm a fan of 10 speed on an eMTB as well. I don't get why factories keep spec'ing them with more and more gears. A close ratio drive train is imperative for a manual bike where maintaining ideal cadence is crucial when the inclination changes. On an eBike with a broader torque output from pedal assist, the gear ratio doesn't have to be as close (for me anyway). I'm with you in getting the ruggedness from a 10 speed... heck even 9 speed might even do.

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
Still liking mine and fork is fine for damping to me and I ride on fast rocky trails. I did add 2 volume spacers to the fork and the largest spacer to the shock though as I was getting unsettled on landings

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles