Trance X E+ Pro 2021

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
There have been reports of the Flip chip linkage binding on the non E Trance X 29 (see facebook group Giant Trance Owners (GTO)) Would seem the tolerances are very tight and sensitive to over torqueing
I think it's less about torque spec and more to the spacer they use, it's short and likely allows enogh flex for the rocker and swing arm to rub. Mine had some marks after 1 ride. I installed some 14x10x1mm washers in the with spacer and it gave a good amount of clearance. Btw motorcycle banjo bolt crush washers are the perfect size to use as a shim. Buddy will be lathing me some slightly longer spacers for a permanent fix. I think 14x10x3.5-3.75 (vs 14x10x3) would be a good fit

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
Copy that. Sounds like I have similar preference to you, though I love level 5 adrenaline rides too!

Level 3 works really good on my 2019 trance also, providing good fun and a nice workout. Gaining speed is like chasing a carrot. Lol.

Thanks for the information.
for me it depends more on how fast you want to go uphill. With level 3 you can go very fast without so much effort ... with level 1-2 you will need more time to climb. It depends on how long you want to ride.

Last edited:

aja07

May 13, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
I think it's less about torque spec and more to the spacer they use, it's short and likely allows enogh flex for the rocker and swing arm to rub. Mine had some marks after 1 ride. I installed some 14x10x1mm washers in the with spacer and it gave a good amount of clearance. Btw motorcycle banjo bolt crush washers are the perfect size to use as a shim. Buddy will be lathing me some slightly longer spacers for a permanent fix. I think 14x10x3.5-3.75 (vs 14x10x3) would be a good fit
Are you running the flip chip on H or L. Have you tried both and if so what is your preference and why, thanks :)

gbarfoot

Sep 1, 2020
Colorado usa
Great ride today could've done 40 mi. Mostly ridden on 1&2 modes. Rode with a cannondale moterra with the Bosch and it drained the battery much faster and went into limp mode 10 miles from the end, luckily it was mostly downhill. I finished with still 1 LED and I'm guessing 5-10% battery left. Totally impressed with the yamaha giant motors efficiency.

Screenshot_20201014-211143.png

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
Anyone got any updates (or maybe insider knowledge ;)) when the Trance X E+ Pro range will be available in the UK?
They're not on the Giant UK website yet and my LBS just keep saying they're supposed to find out "next week" which has been the same answer for the last 3 weeks! :rolleyes:
The new models have just appeared on the Giant UK website tonight...

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
I noticed that, does that mean they will be in the shops soon?

I noticed the price hike too, nearly £500!
Yeah so did I, I'm now thinking of going for the 2021 Stance E+1 Pro instead because of this, which is a shame but probably still a great bike...

gipsy

May 29, 2019
Croatia
Hi all, new Trance 1 owner here.
Was looking for front light connector and found another one(red).
White is JST female connector, 6V, max 1,5A switched on ergo control over light switch.
Red one is unknown for me, it is again JST female, but 36V, switched over main switch.
IMG_20201022_155606_resized_20201024_081705316.jpg

Another thing, as linkage looked preaty unprotected from rear wheel spray, I made simple bumper, long enough to cover it and it works perfect...I tested it on wet trail and linkage was clean after that.
IMG_20201023_072418_resized_20201024_081512201.jpg
IMG_20201021_172251_resized_20201024_081512439.jpg
IMG_20201021_172023_resized_20201024_081512334.jpg

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Awesome! Congrats! Can you give us a review sometime? Some video on the bike?
I'm full of it, but I will certainly be offering my opinions soon.

Motor is smoother, quieter, better power at higher cadences compared to my 2019 trance.

So far I love the 12 speed xtr/xt/slx/kmc drivetrain.

So far only ridden in the yard.

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
Awesome! Congrats! Can you give us a review sometime? Some video on the bike?

for me the biggest difference is 29 "wheels. I'm 1.80 meters, and was ridding 2019 trance e + 1 on M size, now my new trance X e + 1 is L size ... I feel much more comfortable on the bike, more stability, easier to ride, safer and more grip on my wheels. The ride position is safer also on steep sections. I love it. The only cons: longer bike, even longer than my Glory ... this new trance does not fit in my small van I must remove the front wheel each time ... ?. Of course this longer bike is harder for tight corners ... but at the end is totally worth it.
I'm full of it, but I will certainly be offering my opinions soon.

Motor is smoother, quieter, better power at higher cadences compared to my 2019 trance.

So far I love the 12 speed xtr/xt/slx/kmc drivetrain.

So far only ridden in the yard.
Agree, I'm looking to get 1cm extra travel in the fork, the setting is not ready yet is difficult to set up suspension for so heavy bikes.

Last edited:

Chris Lifty

Oct 4, 2020
Belgium

for me the biggest difference is 29 "wheels. I'm 1.80 meters, and was ridding 2019 trance e + 1 on M size, now my new trance X e + 1 is L size ... I feel much more comfortable on the bike, more stability, easier to ride, safer and more grip on my wheels. The ride position is safer also on steep sections. I love it. The only cons: longer bike, even longer than my Glory ... this new trance does not fit in my small van I must remove the front wheel each time ... ?. Of course this longer bike is harder for tight corners ... but at the end is totally worth it.

Agree, I'm looking to get 1cm extra travel in the fork, the setting is not ready yet is difficult to set up suspension for so heavy bikes.
Have you used the flipchip yet? Maybe its easyer to ride the tight turns in the "high" position?
April still so far away for mine to arrive ?

enCrypt

Sep 13, 2020
Douglas
Went to my local Giant dealer yesterday, they confirmed they've got some on the way but earliest delivery will be March 2021! Went to local Trek dealer and ordered a Rail 5 instead, which I can get mid December apparently, as he'd thought ahead and pre-ordered a load, woohoo ?

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky

My riding is pretty tame, so suspension setup for me is usually easy. I like the first half of the travel to have very little damping and the bike feels about right to me.

The shock had alot of air in the negative chamber and needed to be balanced. After balancing it feels super slick, as the fork does too.

I had to compromise with the cockpit layout as the RC1 unit doesn't seem to play well with the XT brake master, when trying to get the dropper where I like it. In the end I had to rotate the RC1 forward more than I like.

20201025_145121.jpg

This pic taken from opposite side to show the interference between the master and the RC1. I'd like to rotate the RC1 down but can't becuase of the master cylinder hinge.

20201025_145347.jpg

I too ride a medium Trance, but opted for a large Transexy. The dropper on the Transexy slides down all the way, so in the end, the lowest seat height is about equal between the medium Trance and the Large Transexy.

I had a RaceFace super short stem and installed it straight away. This gets me a bike that has a similar seated riding position to that of the medium Trance with a tall bar. All in all, I think I made the right choice going up to a large, but time will tell.

For now it's raining, and my Trance is the mud bike. It will have to dry out before I can seriously work the Transexy.

The new seat on the X is a big improvement for me, and I see no need to swap it out as I did with the 19 Trance.

The shifting of this shimano 12 speed continues to amaze me, though as stated earlier, I've only been riding it around the yard.

The gearing range is ridiculously more than I need for my trails. I rarely peddle above the speed limit (20 MPH) because my trails would be too dangerous for me above those speeds. I will be ordering the 10-45 cassette and a 34T chain ring along with the SG (medium cage) derailleur.

Last edited:

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Ok, well it didn't dry out enough but I rode it anyway. The trails are drowning, but in leaves. The leaves are better then mud.

I rode with the chip in high mode.

The X was comfortable at speed (keep in mind, speed to me is anything over 12 mph) but the front end was a little vague compared to the Trance. You give up some grip with that comfortable tall front end I guess. I'll be dropping the bars no doubt to see what happens.

The new motor is a nice improvement when spinning the cranks fast, but its not like a nitro button when compared to the 19 motor.

Oddly enough the bike might be even harder to manual than the 19, but somehow feels more playful on the trail. Perhaps, once I lower the bars chasing grip, it will calm down a bit.

With the sag at 30%, I was bottoming the forks with the open mode adjuster opened all the way. I started screwing the open mode adjuster in, and ended up at 10 clicks from closed, but this is still ealry days. I may need a volume spacer.

The rear suspension feels excatly like the 19. I dont think you can find a bad setting for the maestro to be honest. It just shrugs off hits and gobbles up whatever comes its way.

All in all I am one happy hillbilly.

20201025_173702.jpg

Last edited:

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
My riding is pretty tame, so suspension setup for me is usually easy. I like the first half of the travel to have very little damping and the bike feels about right to me.

The shock had alot of air in the negative chamber and needed to be balanced. After balancing it feels super slick, as the fork does too.

I had to compromise with the cockpit layout as the RC1 unit doesn't seem to play well with the XT brake master, when trying to get the dropper where I like it. In the end I had to rotate the RC1 forward more than I like.

View attachment 42960

This pic taken from opposite side to show the interference between the master and the RC1. I'd like to rotate the RC1 down but can't becuase of the master cylinder hinge.

View attachment 42961

I too ride a medium Trance, but opted for a large Transexy. The dropper on the Transexy slides down all the way, so in the end, the lowest seat height is about equal between the medium Trance and the Large Transexy.

I had a RaceFace super short stem and installed it straight away. This gets me a bike that has a similar seated riding position to that of the medium Trance with a tall bar. All in all, I think I made the right choice going up to a large, but time will tell.

For now it's raining, and my Trance is the mud bike. It will have to dry out before I can seriously work the Transexy.

The new seat on the X is a big improvement for me, and I see no need to swap it out as I did with the 19 Trance.

The shifting of this shimano 12 speed continues to amaze me, though as stated earlier, I've only been riding it around the yard.

The gearing range is ridiculously more than I need for my trails. I rarely peddle above the speed limit (20 MPH) because my trails would be too dangerous for me above those speeds. I will be ordering the 10-45 cassette and a 34T chain ring along with the SG (medium cage) derailleur.
yes, is tricky to get the good position for all the rig on that side

DrStupid

Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Not a fan of the Giant dropper lever. Might replace it with Shimano dropper lever (or WolfTooth) that attaches/integrates with the brake lever clamp. One less clamp.
I guess it's what your used too. I haven't tried many different styles of droppers or levers for them, but I've learned to like the gaint dropper from lever to post.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Was referring to this dropper lever SL-MT800-IL which attaches direct to the Brake clamp so eliminates one of the clamps. Helps keep things a bit tidier.

Are you sure that is compatible with the giant dropper? Giant have a grub screw at the lever whilst most brands work the opposite way .

One up components work the same way as giant so their levers are a suitable upgrade ( and can gave brackets to fit your brakes) Small Parts

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles