Trance X E+ Pro 2021

RAYDAHS

Dec 4, 2021
USA
Hi, I have had 2021 trance x e pro 3 for over a year now, I was so impressed with it I bought the Advanced version 2022 last month.
I found the motor performance was weaker than the 2021 even after app tuning and also a screeching noise from the motor That I couldn't put up with, so sadly I returned it. Apart from the motor issues the bike was very good, much more lively than the 2021, I did find the controller a little fiddly after the big one on the 21 version which I find quite handy being big as when I get myself in trouble I can just spam the power button to get out, which I found awkward on the new one. Is it worth the upgrade ? for me no, because of the motor noise, incidentally, I tested 3 other models in the shop, all with the 2022 motor and they were all the same so its a feature of the new motor. The advanced is deffo a step up from the 2021 but the difference is not night and day. I think if your happy with alloy then go for that and spend the £1500 on juicy upgrades t make it your perfect bike. I did axs dropper and shifter on mine, job done.
Just a note, The stand over height figures are printed back to front, ie 715 should be small and 734 large etc
Thanks for the feedback, interesting experience you had with the 2022. I also found the new controller was awkward, but then got to thinking it needed to be rotated down on the bars, the Specialized Levo controller seems to be pretty sweet ergonomically.

I guess this next visit I'll take my multi-tool and just adjust everything, taking my time to get it right.

One thing about sizing, on my old bike I had to move the seat back all the way and added 45mm riser bars with a 16 degree setback to get comfortable, I am pretty jacked up (spine) from 30 years of Motocross.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Thanks for the feedback, interesting experience you had with the 2022. I also found the new controller was awkward, but then got to thinking it needed to be rotated down on the bars, the Specialized Levo controller seems to be pretty sweet ergonomically.

I guess this next visit I'll take my multi-tool and just adjust everything, taking my time to get it right.

One thing about sizing, on my old bike I had to move the seat back all the way and added 45mm riser bars with a 16 degree setback to get comfortable, I am pretty jacked up (spine) from 30 years of Motocross.
I think your right, spending a bit of time making the adjustments can make all the difference. If its any help im 5,11 and have a size large with 30mm rise bars and 2 spacers taken out under the stem, my saddle is middle on the rails, spine is mint for a 53yr old though ;)

RAYDAHS

Dec 4, 2021
USA
Update: This morning I am getting ready to drive 120 miles (one way) to the store to ride and decide on either...
2021 E+ PRO 29 3, size M or XL (I could have made both work with some mods) or
2022 TRANCE X ADVANCED E+ 2, size L

Just for the heck of it, I went to Giant's website to use the comparison tool one more time.

I hit the 2021 TRANCE X E+ PRO 29 1 pull down menu to see my size (Large) and there it was "in stock" ready for purchase and shipped to the store of my choice! Called the shop, they had both the XL and Medium (version 3) in the rack going through both, as they were shifting pretty erratically last week. They said we'll put them back on the floor, get what you want...so, I hit the buy button on what I actually wanted in the first place! Excited to join the party :cool:

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Update: This morning I am getting ready to drive 120 miles (one way) to the store to ride and decide on either...
2021 E+ PRO 29 3, size M or XL (I could have made both work with some mods) or
2022 TRANCE X ADVANCED E+ 2, size L

Just for the heck of it, I went to Giant's website to use the comparison tool one more time.

I hit the 2021 TRANCE X E+ PRO 29 1 pull down menu to see my size (Large) and there it was "in stock" ready for purchase and shipped to the store of my choice! Called the shop, they had both the XL and Medium (version 3) in the rack going through both, as they were shifting pretty erratically last week. They said we'll put them back on the floor, get what you want...so, I hit the buy button on what I actually wanted in the first place! Excited to join the party :cool:
Whoa, like your style, no messing about, good luck, let us know the outcome, either way your getting a great bike. I’m off to the London cycle show tomorrow, credit card in hand 😉

RAYDAHS

Dec 4, 2021
USA
Whoa, like your style, no messing about, good luck, let us know the outcome, either way your getting a great bike. I’m off to the London cycle show tomorrow, credit card in hand 😉
Thanks again for your feedback on this. I was so happy with my 2021 Trance X 29 (2) and then one day I walked into a Specialized store to get tires. I saw a Turbo Levo for the first time, said what the heck is that? Owner said try it...being a Moto guy, I just about died. This was taking be back to the fun days I can no longer do. Then I saw Rob's review and the Bikers Edge video and knew this was for me.

Enjoy the show, buy lots of stuff...if anything is available :unsure:

UnreasonableMuppet

Jan 11, 2022
THE YOO ESS OF AYE
Small update on my 21 Trance X Pro 3. Got it in January, and recently rolled over 500 miles on it. Really no issues until yesterday when a twig got stuck in the rear mech. Twisted the cage and bent a tooth on one of the jockey wheels. I was able to get it fixed, after taking it apart and all is good to keep ripping.

It's a real fantastic ride, and I'm having a great time with it.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Small update on my 21 Trance X Pro 3. Got it in January, and recently rolled over 500 miles on it. Really no issues until yesterday when a twig got stuck in the rear mech. Twisted the cage and bent a tooth on one of the jockey wheels. I was able to get it fixed, after taking it apart and all is good to keep ripping.

It's a real fantastic ride, and I'm having a great time with it.
👍long May it continue, just ordered an xtr cassette for mine 😉

UnreasonableMuppet

Jan 11, 2022
THE YOO ESS OF AYE
I ran into a small issue with my Trance. An issue with the Shimano rear hub to be specific. I was having issues with the rear brake caliper alignment. It turned out that the brake side hub spacer threads into the hub. That spacer got loose, effectively making the hub wider. Easy fix once I figured it out.
20220501_182842.small.jpg

And a pic from the last ride.
Imagepipe_3.jpg

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
I ran into a small issue with my Trance. An issue with the Shimano rear hub to be specific. I was having issues with the rear brake caliper alignment. It turned out that the brake side hub spacer threads into the hub. That spacer got loose, effectively making the hub wider. Easy fix once I figured it out.
View attachment 87400

View attachment 87401
👍keep pumping them cranks bro 😎

RAYDAHS

Dec 4, 2021
USA
Well this sucks, it came in... I was testing it out and I kept feeling this lag between shifts in all modes on this one too.
Not sure why I am so sensitive to this? When I first tried out the 2021 and 2022 a couple of weeks ago it was really
annoying, like it was cutting out.

That same day, on the way home, I stopped at a dealer that actually has Orbea Wilds in stock, the one with the
Bosch motor...felt just like the Levo, normal shifting.

So, they said we notice it and understand, they feel they can move it regardless, so they'll just put it on the floor.

And the search continues, all the more reason to ...ride, ride, ride them.
Maybe off to the Trek store next, the Bosch felt pretty good.

ilostmypassword

Apr 5, 2022
New Zealand
View attachment 87400

View attachment 87401
Looks so slack! 😍

Last edited:

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Well this sucks, it came in... I was testing it out and I kept feeling this lag between shifts in all modes on this one too.
Not sure why I am so sensitive to this? When I first tried out the 2021 and 2022 a couple of weeks ago it was really
annoying, like it was cutting out.

That same day, on the way home, I stopped at a dealer that actually has Orbea Wilds in stock, the one with the
Bosch motor...felt just like the Levo, normal shifting.

So, they said we notice it and understand, they feel they can move it regardless, so they'll just put it on the floor.

And the search continues, all the more reason to ...ride, ride, ride them.
Maybe off to the Trek store next, the Bosch felt pretty good.
If your really sensitive on shifting then my suggestion would be sram axs. Exact and precise shifting every time the electronic way. I fitted the gx system to my trance, Easy set up and instant smooth changing, plus a clean cockpit and it’s dam cool 😎

duri1

Nov 3, 2020
Slovakia
Hi, could anybody advise about '21 Trance X E+ Pro 1? When I'm pedaling with turned motor on (control lights on) but without e-support, there is terrible cracking noise from BB / cranks. When I'm pedaling with e-support the motor is little bit noisy, but runs normal.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
I would start by checking everything is torqued up correctly, Particularly the shock mounts.Also the cause of the noise is not always where you think its coming from as they can travel around the bike. I had a dry bearing in my head tube and it sounded like it was coming from the rear shock area, took a bit of trial and error to find. In your case your obviously putting more effort through the cranks when not using assist so that would be a good place to start. Maybe worth removing the battery to see what effect that has, but just go over everything, chain ring, motor mount etc. If all is torqued correctly then you may have a bearing issue.

DrStupid

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Jul 10, 2019
Pleasureville Ky
Hi, could anybody advise about '21 Trance X E+ Pro 1? When I'm pedaling with turned motor on (control lights on) but without e-support, there is terrible cracking noise from BB / cranks. When I'm pedaling with e-support the motor is little bit noisy, but runs normal.

UnreasonableMuppet

Jan 11, 2022
THE YOO ESS OF AYE
Some things I have found to watch out for on my bike. Suspension bolts coming loose. I check mine pretty frequently, and they seem stable after several retorques. The lower shock mount bolt kept coming loose. I was having to retorque it almost every ride. I put some red lactate on it and it seems good now.

Here's a picture from yesterday's ride.
Imagepipe_7.jpg

I also made a water bottle relocation bracket today so I can fit a full size bottle.
Imagepipe_11.jpg

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Have you managed to resolve your noise ??

UnreasonableMuppet

Jan 11, 2022
THE YOO ESS OF AYE
Hello!

I have done some upgrade to my trance. I bought a used Fox 38 fork with 170mm travel. So much nicer than the rockshox gold fork. Less than a $400 upgrade after getting $200 for the old fork.
Imagepipe_37.jpg

20220820_155032.jpg

20220820_150531.jpg

I've got about 1000 miles on the bike since January, and it's been awesome. New tires on it cause the original tires developed casing deformations after some hard hits.

If anyone here has upgraded their shock on their pro 1, I'd be interested in buying your old shock (the one with the piggyback).

Anyway, love this freaking bike!

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Nice upgrades, I put the fox factory dps shock on mine, big improvement over the standard unit, worth a look and cheaper. Although I like the look of the dpx2 it was overkill for my type of riding and I couldn’t fit a full size water bottle in if I fitted one.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles