Trance vs Fathom for (mostly) commuting

Yes

Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Hi all,

I was about to plonk down money on a Trek Powerfly FS 5 - however - after taking a closer look at the Giant range, and the deals going on here in Australia at the moment, I have been swayed toward either a Trance E+ 3 Pro (Trance E+ 3 Pro (25km/h) (2019) | Men E-bike bike | Giant Bicycles Australia) or a Fathom E+ 2 Pro (Fathom E+ Pro (2019) | Giant Bicycles Australia).

The bike will primarily be used for commuting - 40km round trip - very hilly, on road and bike paths - but with gutter jumping, traffic island jumping, and the like. I'd also like to think I would get it out onto some of the great trails we have around here -- but this isn't the primary use of the bike!

My question is, should I save the roughly $1000 the dually is extra and just go with the hardtail? I have watched an interesting video here about how the dually is more comfortable on the commute -- but I am relatively young and fit, so not sure how much that will assist. Also, what do those with more knowledge than me think about the individual components -- brakes, shifters, shocks, etc etc -- is one better value than the other? If it was your cash, where would you put it :)

Thanks in advance!

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
I have not ridden the Fathom but my wife has an E+3 and its a very capable bike. I use my E+1 for a 36km (round trip) commute, cycle paths the whole way. I would probably be happy enough to do it on a hard tail but on the weekends I like to do trail riding and having a FS for that is a must for me. Its nice to have the option to go a bit more hardcore on the weekends and i would be disappointed if i had to do that on a hard tail.

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
Both look like awesome bikes.... the hardtail is giving you better components for sure with the XT range... but the SLX range on the Full Sus isn't shaby at all and perfectly useable.

Personally I would decide if I wanted a hardtail or full sus first.. then compare full sus with full sus or vice versa.

I'm currently going from the a Scott E-Scale hardtail to the Trance 3 as well.

Yes

Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Thanks for the replies!
Darkbluesheep, as someone told me at my LBS today, you can commute on anything, but can you go downhill fast on anything? I think this supports your statement!
And thanks, PeteIOM, as I'm new to the components of MTB, I don't pick up on the differences too easily. OK, so if I'm leaning toward the FS... How does the Giant stack up against the Trek FS... Powerfly FS 5 | Trek Bikes (AU)

Both are the same cost at the moment.

Thanks again

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Thanks for the replies!
Darkbluesheep, as someone told me at my LBS today, you can commute on anything, but can you go downhill fast on anything? I think this supports your statement!
And thanks, PeteIOM, as I'm new to the components of MTB, I don't pick up on the differences too easily. OK, so if I'm leaning toward the FS... How does the Giant stack up against the Trek FS... Powerfly FS 5 | Trek Bikes (AU)

Both are the same cost at the moment.

Thanks again
Good logic from your LBS there :)

I use my levo to commute twice a week at the moment (will become 5 times from Feb) and thats just over 90km per day on the levo. Comfy but I would prefer a hardtail as my journey is mainly concrete. However, from an enjoyment point of view, the levo ticks all my boxes and gives me a bike on my days off to hit trails too!

PeteIOM

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2018
Isle of Man
With components middle of the pack is fine for leisure/commute riding (i.e. not racing/competitive).

Bottom end gearing/brakes will feel sloppy and not so reassuring.. they aren't terrible but they are cheap for a reason which is usually weight and general "feel" (closing the door on a shagged out beige metro sounds a lot different to closing the door on a mid range BMW).

But once you get into the mid range components its more about weight saving, functionality will be identical.

I have a MTB with XTR cranks and full groupset.. its purely weight saving over the XT Groupset which performs identical and costs much less.. and in all honesty not worth it for the application I use the bike in.

There's not a massive difference in the two bikes. The Giant looks to have better components at a quick glance..

Yes

Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Nicklej, why would you prefer the hard tail? How do you find the commute on the flats after the motor cuts out?

For me, the hard tail would also allow for a rack, which would be great for commuting (less so for trails).. It's also $1000 cheaper!

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Nicklej, why would you prefer the hard tail? How do you find the commute on the flats after the motor cuts out?

For me, the hard tail would also allow for a rack, which would be great for commuting (less so for trails).. It's also $1000 cheaper!
It's more efficient to ride. On a full sus you lose efficiency through the suspension. I know I can lock it out and probably should but its nice to have. I have taken the limiter off mine but never use it on high power mode. 20% all the way and then 40% on the way home for about a third of the ride as it is a killer!

Hard tail is always cheaper for the same spec purely because there is "less bike" so to speak. A hardtail would potentially allow for a rack (depending on the bike), you can get better mudguard fittings and generally its good at climbing and riding on steadier terrain.

I'll keep the levo for now but it's likely to be quite economical for me given the mileage and usage i put it through. We'll see about that down the line though :)

Yes

Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Thank you to you both...
It's quite a difficult decision. If it was a couple of grand, then, whatever. When you're talking about $5k or more, it's really the land of Vespa money, and they have great resale, where I'd probably drop $1500,in the first month! (but there are health benefits to the mtb).
I really don't know which way to go. So, basically, you can lock out the rear and it's a hard tail? I'm still caught up on the rack idea also... Although, there are good backpacks with airflow!
It seems, either way, I should go the Giant, and not the Trek with the component list. So maybe that is progress right there!

StevenM

Sep 22, 2018
Ipswich Qld Australia
I have not ridden the Fathom but my wife has an E+3 and its a very capable bike. I use my E+1 for a 36km (round trip) commute, cycle paths the whole way. I would probably be happy enough to do it on a hard tail but on the weekends I like to do trail riding and having a FS for that is a must for me. Its nice to have the option to go a bit more hardcore on the weekends and i would be disappointed if i had to do that on a hard tail.

How are th ethers holding up on the paths? Replaced them yet?

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
How are th ethers holding up on the paths? Replaced them yet?
Do you mean ''Tyres''? If so, yeah the back is wearing down pretty quick. The front is fine but when i compare my back tyre to my wife's, who doesn't do as much road riding as me, then yeah there is a significant difference.

I am not sure if i should go to a different compound when I need to replace, not sure what to get so might just talk to the guys at For The Riders and see what they recommend.

Yes

Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Yeah, but it's just bland, all those commuter bikes are... Doesn't allow for any fun ☺

eBikeLife

Jan 19, 2019
Bulgaria
I got the fathom +3 2019 version, and i do some medium level trails and so on it, while also using it to commute to the office. I think its perfect, and i have not regretted my purchase at any point. I recommend it highly! Only, for long commutes, get another saddel, cause your ass will be killed haha

Yes

Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Thanks eBikeLife, have you had any experience with FS bikes? I’m stuck on the FS vs HT issue still.
What’s the drag like on your fathom on the flats on your commute when you past the 25km/h threshold?

eBikeLife

Jan 19, 2019
Bulgaria
Thanks eBikeLife, have you had any experience with FS bikes? I’m stuck on the FS vs HT issue still.
What’s the drag like on your fathom on the flats on your commute when you past the 25km/h threshold?

I dont have a lot of experience on full suspension bikes, only tried a friends fs bike a few times for laughs. I do however like hardtail more as they are more easy to ride without getting tired (personal preference).
In regards to drag on my fathom at high speeds i can clearly feel some serious change, when the motor stops helping at around 27-28km/h. I dont think it would be ideal to drive long time above those speeds. Far from it actually.
If you need to drive super high speeds, and you only need commuter bike, you should buy a conversion kit on aliexpress, as i hear they dont have speed limit, and i seen people on youtube drive insane speeds with those kits..

Or get the fathom but buy one of those override kits.. Hear they work very well..

Yes

Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
No, I don’t want a motorbike that is pretending to be a push bike ?
I’m looking to get a workout, most of my commute is really undulating, not flat, but am concerned nonetheless.

StevenM

Sep 22, 2018
Ipswich Qld Australia
The FS stuff has 3 positions on the suspension , both front and back

Lock out - full stiff
Trail - travel but less than full
Open / downhill - as it says and is the advertised suspension numbers

If you want to play on the weekends this is the way to go.

When doing pavement stuff I just stick my shock (rear) in trail mode.

The big tyres on a ‘mountain’ bike are not the best solution for commuting/ pavement ...but doable.

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
I don't own a Giant so take this with a grain of salt... I do own two ebikes (a pair of Meridas). One hard tail. One full sus. In a previous life I commuted through Sydney on a daily basis so I'm well aware of the terrain, traffic and drivers.

The biggest difference will be tyre choice. If you want to make your commute more efficient then invest in a set of slick tyres. I paid $500 for a set of complete rims for commuting on my eBig nine (a bike you should consider) and with a set of Hookworms on there the difference is massive. Way better battery life and peddling comfort. Knoblies have drag and they'll wear fast so you'll end up spending more money any way.

I much prefer my hardtail for riding around town. And if I was mostly commuting I'd get the hardtail and a set of tyres/wheels for the weekend. I can ride my e160 with the rear shock locked out and it works but I still prefer a hardtail on the road.

If you do find yourself off road more than you thought you can always N=E+1 later on. :)

Gordon

Yes

Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
I don't own a Giant so take this with a grain of salt... I do own two ebikes (a pair of Meridas). One hard tail. One full sus. In a previous life I commuted through Sydney on a daily basis so I'm well aware of the terrain, traffic and drivers.

The biggest difference will be tyre choice. If you want to make your commute more efficient then invest in a set of slick tyres. I paid $500 for a set of complete rims for commuting on my eBig nine (a bike you should consider) and with a set of Hookworms on there the difference is massive. Way better battery life and peddling comfort. Knoblies have drag and they'll wear fast so you'll end up spending more money any way.

I much prefer my hardtail for riding around town. And if I was mostly commuting I'd get the hardtail and a set of tyres/wheels for the weekend. I can ride my e160 with the rear shock locked out and it works but I still prefer a hardtail on the road.

If you do find yourself off road more than you thought you can always N=E+1 later on. :)

Gordon

Thanks, Gordon.
I have a LBS who sells Merida and I really like the specs on the 2019 900. I haven't looked at their hard tails, will do so.
Your advice about a second Wheelset is also the plan I was going with. I think a faster/smoother rolling tyre will be a winner on the pavement.
My head is leaning me toward the hard tail, but the Giant/Merida FS both look fantastic with great specs/components for about $1000 more.
Maybe I should be looking at slightly more expensive hard tail options also!

flash

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Thanks, Gordon.
I have a LBS who sells Merida and I really like the specs on the 2019 900. I haven't looked at their hard tails, will do so.
Your advice about a second Wheelset is also the plan I was going with. I think a faster/smoother rolling tyre will be a winner on the pavement.
My head is leaning me toward the hard tail, but the Giant/Merida FS both look fantastic with great specs/components for about $1000 more.
Maybe I should be looking at slightly more expensive hard tail options also!

I got my 2018 e big nine 600 for A$3300 from my LBS, six weeks ago. versus 6K for my e160 900 (non e). Originally I was up for an extra battery and wheels for my 900 but that was near enough $1500.00 so the extra for a whole bike worked for me. The only difference in the 2019 900 was a price rise. So it's worth looking at 2018 stock to save money, or at 99bikes, who seem to be the cheapest. The 2019 eBig nines will have the e7000 motor versus the e8000 on the 2018 model. Not a huge difference but worth noting.

The other advantage for me was that my son goes for the occasional ride with me now and I can quickly set up the hardtail for him. I also have a rear rack and bags for a quick run to the shops and I'm looking at some multi day trips on the hardtail. However....

A FS is awesome. If you're can get off road regularly I'd go that way, for sure. An ebike is just plain good fun and I find it really easy to just go for a ride. I find the time and just head out for an hour or two. I ride my 900 way more than my hardtail. I thought I'd get out once or twice a week. I do roughly three or four rides a week. For 90% commute the hardtail makes sense. However don't let sense get in the way of just having fun. The FS will work on the road just fine, with a small loss in efficiency. So if your heart wants a rear shock then do it.

Gordon

Yes

Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Thanks again, Gordon.
The 160 900 is currently under $5500 at 99 bikes. Just checked one out at their Stanmore store this morning. It’s a beast of a bike!
I am waiting for my other LBS to get the Giant Trance in so I can compare. The trance is under $5000 and has equal or better components, I think, I may be wrong (road bike comparisons seem easier). This morning I was leaning HT.. now back to FS?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
Did you end up making a decision?

I am tossing up between trance E+1 and the fathom E+2 pro.

Bike shop quoted $6000 for the trance, haven't got a price on the fathom yet. Was hoping for low $4000. I'd like the full sus but I'm guessing it'd be wasted on me as I'm only a newbie.

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Did you end up making a decision?

I am tossing up between trance E+1 and the fathom E+2 pro.

Bike shop quoted $6000 for the trance, haven't got a price on the fathom yet. Was hoping for low $4000. I'd like the full sus but I'm guessing it'd be wasted on me as I'm only a newbie.
Ive got the stance e and just bought a fathom e1pro.... the fathom is really nice spec and rides so sweet but depends on what terrain you will be riding ..the stance has more comfort on the knarly trails

4BA3BB2E-47D0-440F-95D2-03E256643D70.jpeg

4A9EF028-8E1C-4DE6-823D-5B0FCDB22D5F.jpeg

Yes

Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
Yeah, I bought a leg powered normal bike instead. $2500 got me something that weighs 8kg... Good groupset.
The commuting on an ebike became too difficult to justify. Beyond 25km/h on flat roads is infuriating. And deresteicting removes a lot of the health benefits I'm trying to maintain.
Off road, an emtb is the only thing I'd ride, though. Going down hills and on flat tracks, they're perfect!
The Fathom was a flat $4000 when I was looking at it a three weeks back. Should be able to get it sub $4k in a month or so as they start to move stock for the new models.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I'll probably go the fathom as my head wins over my heart. Also $2000 is a big chunk of change. I also love the all Matt black colour over the orange.

I mainly ride paths and dirt tracks. I plan on commuting maybe a few days a week. I live near bunyaville too which has some nice trails.

Yes

Jan 16, 2019
Sydney
I'll probably go the fathom as my head wins over my heart. Also $2000 is a big chunk of change. I also love the all Matt black colour over the orange.

I mainly ride paths and dirt tracks. I plan on commuting maybe a few days a week. I live near bunyaville too which has some nice trails.

I rode the Fathom and the black and green trance... I much preferred the hard tail and the matt black looks amazing. If I had gone with one, it would have been the Fathom... The trance felt way more loose and bouncy on the paths and road... I'm sure it's great off road where it's meant to be used. Good choice on the Fathom I think.

Reactions: iXi

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Completed my 2nd ride on the fathom 1 pro today, ive actually turned the assist down as its too quick lol... eco ( i only use this) range is now saying 91 miles and on an hilly 18 miler today id only used 20% battery so that looks to be about right!!! Its an amazing ride tbh

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles