After some basic / base rear suspension settings, rebound/compression high/low

Never had a coil or so much adjustment in a shock

Any tried and tested info would be great thanks
I understand some fine tunning will be needed for personal riding style

BDFC82A3-F8F7-4FEF-8108-5169CECF8587.jpeg

steve06

Feb 26, 2019
uk
picked up my SX a few weeks ago, first job i did was to change the spring to my weight to get the required sag, the standard spring was way to soft for my 95kg plus gear weight and changed from a 550 to a 700 weight spring which made it so much better, a good basic rebound base setting is compress the suspension as much as possible and while compressed let the bike rise under its own rising rate, at the top of the stroke it should not raise the bike, ie, lift it, better with 2 people one to hold the bike steady

Bandicoot

Mar 30, 2019
Newcastle australia
picked up my SX a few weeks ago, first job i did was to change the spring to my weight to get the required sag, the standard spring was way to soft for my 95kg plus gear weight and changed from a 550 to a 700 weight spring which made it so much better, a good basic rebound base setting is compress the suspension as much as possible and while compressed let the bike rise under its own rising rate, at the top of the stroke it should not raise the bike, ie, lift it, better with 2 people one to hold the bike steady
Cheers Steve I’m 82kg what spring would you recommend?
Cheers

steve06

Feb 26, 2019
uk
the standard 550 could be fine for you..lift the back of the bike to see if there is any slack in the spring/preload..to take up any slack turn the spring clockwise this will take up the slack, then you can set the sag by turning the spring by no more than 2 full turns, if you still have to much sag after the 2 full turns you need a higher spring rate, about 40 quid from a dealer but well worth it ..ive not given you exact mm of sag but there are lots of websites on here that calculate the weight and spring rate, depends if you want a plush ride etc

Alcove

Jan 3, 2019
Canada
Cheers Steve I’m 82kg what spring would you recommend?
Cheers
I'm about 80kg and my medium frame came with a 500 and have just ordered a 550. The chatter feels good but finding landings off jumps are too frequently bottoming out for my liking. I only have the sx1 so my shock doesn't have high speed compression which might have solved that.

Around our weight I've found I'm usually somewhere between near the top or bottom of the recommended spring rates and favour going with the higher but I think this is subjective depending how aggressive you ride...

steve06

Feb 26, 2019
uk
I'm about 80kg and my medium frame came with a 500 and have just ordered a 550. The chatter feels good but finding landings off jumps are too frequently bottoming out for my liking. I only have the sx1 so my shock doesn't have high speed compression which might have solved that.

Around our weight I've found I'm usually somewhere between near the top or bottom of the recommended spring rates and favour going with the higher but I think this is subjective depending how aggressive you ride...

thats a shame i have a brand new Fox 550 spring, i would have let you have it for £35

Alcove

Jan 3, 2019
Canada
After about 100km with the new spring 550 is the proper weight for someone around 80kg's. Still soaks up the chunder and feels much more planted/stable/firmer and a better balanced feel with the front. The hard bottom outs I was getting are also now gone so highly recommended if you like jumps and drops.

rob_NZ

Nov 29, 2018
New Zealand
sounds extreme going from a 550-700lb coil at 95kg ? im 6.3 and 105kg and find the 550 perfect with added pre load a good set up. Dont forget how progressive the rear stroke is, its why the coil works so well with the trance!!

skullforger

Jul 10, 2019
Belgium
Hi, I am thinking of buying the Trance SX because it’s the only bike that is rated to 136kg, and I am 125kg.
Does this mean I definately have to swap out the stock spring for a heavier one? Do these mtb coil springs even exists for such a heavy rider?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles