Trance SX E+0 pro Mullet Project

lharpel1

Oct 18, 2019
Bristol
So I have had a Trace SX E+0 pro for a couple of weeks and so far it has ticked all the boxes. But I cant help feeling that the front is quite low, I expect that this is because I am use to a 29'er with a 180mm shox. So I am going to fit the 180mm fork as well as the 29in wheel and try that. It will only take an hour to swap them over so I will add some photos when it is done.

I noticed when I moved from a 27.5 to a 29er how much faster it was on the trail, not so great on the really steep stuff due to the larger rear wheel. So a Mullet ( 29 front 27.5 rear ) is worth a try. yes I know it will change the geometry slightly but a slightly slacker head angle is not a bad thing.

Notice: there is nothing wrong with the current setup, it is just me having the options/parts to try this and see how it feels.

Any one else done this ?

hans_bike

Sep 16, 2018
Barcelona
I don't, but take care with the seat angle, the SX has 73.5°, not good at all, but with these changes you say, it will be around 72°.
In my stock SX, I need to move the seat forward a lot for a decent pedalling.
Cheers.

lharpel1

Oct 18, 2019
Bristol
Yes lots to learn. This will either be a horrible ride once done, or be ok. Either way whilst I have access to the parts then I might as well try it and see how it feels. I will try and measure as much as I can before and after the change etc, bar height, fork angle, seatpost angel etc and pass the details on in case anyone else fancies trying this in the future.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Have I got this right? you want to put a 29er and a 180mm fork on your SX Pro!?

To say this will "change the geo slightly" is an understatement :LOL:

You're going to raise the crown by at least 40mm which is going feel drastic on the trail. If you were going to mullet your bike, why not go for a 150mm fork? This would only increase the crown by 10mm and have a balanced suspension ratio front to rear. If the front still feels low then I'd focus on adding height above the headtube (spacers, stem & bars).

lharpel1

Oct 18, 2019
Bristol
HI, Not quite sure what you mean, but I think you think the SX E+0 pro has a 140mm fork on it. It actually has a 160mm fork as standard. So adding a 180mm fork will only be 20mm. But as sag is 30% so will be slightly more than a 160mm. So with the sag it is going to not be that much higher, yes they there is the extra 3/4inch wheels size ( to the hub ). We can discuss angels and heights all day, i dont really want that as this is just a trial as I read other people are doing the same with positive results. Also it is dependent on what type of trails you ride and what bikes you have ridden before.

But as I said, I am not saying Giant has it wrong, the trance is a perfect bike. I am just going to try it as I have the opportunity to and would like to understand how it makes the bike feel, better or worse.

Yetibos

Jan 28, 2020
Spain
for me the trance feels low on the handlebar. Im gonna install a higher rise handlebar...we are unlukcy is not a 27'5+ fork so 29" wheel doesnt fit.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
HI, Not quite sure what you mean, but I think you think the SX E+0 pro has a 140mm fork on it. It actually has a 160mm fork as standard. So adding a 180mm fork will only be 20mm. But as sag is 30% so will be slightly more than a 160mm. So with the sag it is going to not be that much higher, yes they there is the extra 3/4inch wheels size ( to the hub ). We can discuss angels and heights all day, i dont really want that as this is just a trial as I read other people are doing the same with positive results. Also it is dependent on what type of trails you ride and what bikes you have ridden before.

But as I said, I am not saying Giant has it wrong, the trance is a perfect bike. I am just going to try it as I have the opportunity to and would like to understand how it makes the bike feel, better or worse.

It's your bike and you can what you like :) But I'm willing to bet that it's not going to be any improvement on any type of riding.

I've built a mullet bike recently (WIP pic below) and I'm glad I kept the crown height increase down to +10mm, doesn't sound like a lot, but it is on the trail. The original bike was 160mm rear and 170 front on 27.5 wheels. When I went mullet, I went for a 160mm fork.
The trance may let you get away with an extra 20mm crown height but 40mm will be whack.

Let us know how it goes! :)
82593778_114143099946840_7268300050382454784_n.jpg

sambonator

Sep 17, 2019
NEWPORT BEACH, CA
I put a Spank Spike 50mm riser bar on mine (with new 31.8mm diameter stem 35mm length) and the height feels perfect now. I think a 29er up front with the stock handlebars would work nicely. Who makes a 180mm travel 29er fork?

lharpel1

Oct 18, 2019
Bristol
HI,

I have a YT Capra CF PRo 29'er that has 180mm Factory Fox forks on it ( were 170mm but has the 10mm reducer removed ). So have the parts to try this, they will not stay on the Giant as I was the options to ride either bike. But would like to try and it would only take an hour to swap.

So Fox Factory 180mm fork with E13 Carbon front wheel with 29x2.6 Magic Mary.

I was hoping to swap thing over the weekend but did not get time. I will let you know ( with photos and measurements ) once complete.

lee

Wernher

May 30, 2019
Cape St Francis
You should be fine with the mullet conversion. I fitted a fork with a 30mm higher axle to crown height. (My e+2 is 150mm stock so that adds about 20 to your standard bike). My fork is internally adjustable to 170 mm and I can also fit a 29" wheel. So far the bike is a monster. Fantastic on fast downhill and still a brilliant climber. I'll be testing a 29 inch wheel this week but from experience I'll probably stick to my 27,5 because of the fast steering as the bike is quite a bit longer and my fork angle is just over 64 degrees which is in Reign terrain.

On another bike this might mess up your geometry but on the Giant with its low front end and heavy nose it's perfect. I love what it's done for me.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
You should be fine with the mullet conversion. I fitted a fork with a 30mm higher axle to crown height. (My e+2 is 150mm stock so that adds about 20 to your standard bike). My fork is internally adjustable to 170 mm and I can also fit a 29" wheel. So far the bike is a monster. Fantastic on fast downhill and still a brilliant climber. I'll be testing a 29 inch wheel this week but from experience I'll probably stick to my 27,5 because of the fast steering as the bike is quite a bit longer and my fork angle is just over 64 degrees which is in Reign terrain.

On another bike this might mess up your geometry but on the Giant with its low front end and heavy nose it's perfect. I love what it's done for me.
Hey does the 19 trance have a normal tapered steerer or an Overdrive?

lharpel1

Oct 18, 2019
Bristol
I did the change and have rode it a few times, the weather here in the UK has been so wet that even though I have ridden every weekend I cant say I have really put it through its paces.

I also apologize as I have yet to take measurements of the new setup.

It is a normal tapered steerer and the 180mm 29 fork fitted perfectly. I did not measure the difference in bar height as I just got on with the change and then realized I should have measured it before I started. But I did have the 29 fork a little softer so more sage.

It rode well, as I said the trails are so bad at the moment that I have not really put in thought its paces. I have been doing steep techy stuff and for that it works well as the extra height and larger front wheel help.

I will take some pictures and post more details once the trails get better so I can ride it on a more varied group of trails.

For anyone that has ridden a 29er trail bike then they will know that they are faster, but I found a 29 rear wheel is a bit to much on the downs.

Any I will post again.

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
My project is well underway, spent too much so hope it works haha.
Picked up a new set of Lyrik rc forks for nearly half price and they're 42mm offset so on a gamble dove in.
Have been running 160mm up front with 40mm rise fatbars for a while so when wheel arrives I'm planning on going back to stock bars which will keep bars nearly at same height with the new 160mm fork.
Am picking geo isn't changing drastically, front will be close to Reign geo, not too worried about seat tube, its an e bike after all and can adjust seat a bit to suit.
Looking forward to the rollabilty of a 29 over our roots n rocks...

Last edited:

Rankbad

Oct 19, 2020
NZ
So I have had a Trace SX E+0 pro for a couple of weeks and so far it has ticked all the boxes. But I cant help feeling that the front is quite low, I expect that this is because I am use to a 29'er with a 180mm shox. So I am going to fit the 180mm fork as well as the 29in wheel and try that. It will only take an hour to swap them over so I will add some photos when it is done.

I noticed when I moved from a 27.5 to a 29er how much faster it was on the trail, not so great on the really steep stuff due to the larger rear wheel. So a Mullet ( 29 front 27.5 rear ) is worth a try. yes I know it will change the geometry slightly but a slightly slacker head angle is not a bad thing.

Notice: there is nothing wrong with the current setup, it is just me having the options/parts to try this and see how it feels.

Any one else done this ?
Iharpel1 - hi there. I'm pretty new to this forum site but am interested how you got on Mulleting the SX Pro? I too have done this (29"/160mm) and love it.

lona79

Feb 23, 2020
Italy
Nukeproof 50mm riser bar, 160mm 29" front end (Trek Slash), Cane Creek Progressive Coil (450>600lb). 160mm Cranks

Therefore:
- 29" fork : more or less +20mm (compared to original 27.5" fork)
- 29" wheel : more or less +20mm (compared to original 27.5" wheel)
- 50mm riser bar : +30mm (compared to original 20mm rise bar)

It is not too much? ?

Uphill the front wheel does not raise up?

Rankbad

Oct 19, 2020
NZ
Therefore:
- 29" fork : more or less +20mm (compared to original 27.5" fork)
- 29" wheel : more or less +20mm (compared to original 27.5" wheel)
- 50mm riser bar : +30mm (compared to original 20mm rise bar)

It is not too much? ?

Uphill the front wheel does not raise up?
I have dropped bars 8mm with spacers on top, as it was a bit lively on STEEP 4wd tracks & sneaky climbs up dh trails when sessioning features?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles