Trance SX E+0 Pro firmware 2019

lharpel1

Oct 18, 2019
Bristol
So I have updated to the latest firmware and the bike characteristics have changed. Before you could power in forward in any mode up or down hill. Now it seems that the bike knows when it is facing downhill or even flat and reduces the power alot. I did read when this came out somebody saying it was like having the brake on, now I understand what they mean. The bike works fine on the ups, but reduces power a lot on the flat. I assume this is a way to reduce the battery being used and therefore making it last longer. I understand this. But what if I dont care about that and what to put it in top mode and just blast ! No it is still the same ! I feel like I brought a bike that did exactly what I wanted. If I would have test rode it and it did this I would have looked at other bikes.

I did a 10 mile ride yesterday though the lanes and on the flat it is hard work to push along regardless what mode you are in, as soon as you start going up then everything kicks in just fine.

So does anyone know if there is a way to install older version of the software ?

thanks
lee

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
I didn't think the 19 had the sensors to know if you were going up, down or flat. Our 19 is the 4 sensor version not the 6 as the 20's have....these updates are getting scary now not knowing what they'll buggar up.

lharpel1

Oct 18, 2019
Bristol
I did a ride yesterday and it felt different, may be because i am ridding lanes rather than trails due to the lock down. I am getting near the max speed. But I cant ride the bike in top gear and have motor assist. I dont think I am near the max speed but may be I am. I have 2.8 Schwalbe Magic Mary front and Nobby Nic on the back. What if I have 2.1 gravel tyres on ? I would be spinning out very quickly.

O well, not really happy. But once the trails are open again then may be I will not notice it.

Almashdi

Mar 12, 2019
Ontario
Hello Everyone,
I have a 2019 Trance E+1XE Pro and since the firmware update, the motor stops momentary for a fraction of a second and it comes back again. This mainly happens when i am climbing up a hill and I need that extra power and all of a sudden the motor power is lost and gone and you panic and then power is restored.

I have taken the bike to the shop and the mechanic ran Giant diagnostics and said the diagnostic doesn't show any power outage.
Since I got this e-bike I tend to do a lot more climbing than ever before but this issue is very annoying.
Has anyone experienced anything like this?
Al

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
I did a ride yesterday and it felt different, may be because i am ridding lanes rather than trails due to the lock down. I am getting near the max speed. But I cant ride the bike in top gear and have motor assist. I dont think I am near the max speed but may be I am. I have 2.8 Schwalbe Magic Mary front and Nobby Nic on the back. What if I have 2.1 gravel tyres on ? I would be spinning out very quickly.

O well, not really happy. But once the trails are open again then may be I will not notice it.
You could be going past the assist limit speed, as you mentioned. The only way to confirm your suspicion is to ride along with someone with a speedometer, if you haven't got one with you.

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Hello Everyone,
I have a 2019 Trance E+1XE Pro and since the firmware update, the motor stops momentary for a fraction of a second and it comes back again. This mainly happens when i am climbing up a hill and I need that extra power and all of a sudden the motor power is lost and gone and you panic and then power is restored.

I have taken the bike to the shop and the mechanic ran Giant diagnostics and said the diagnostic doesn't show any power outage.
Since I got this e-bike I tend to do a lot more climbing than ever before but this issue is very annoying.
Al
That's strange indeed, that the diagnostic didn't show anything.

Assuming nothing went wrong with the firmware update, and there's nothing wrong with the communication between the battery and the motor (as the diagnostic indicated), there could be two areas that might cause that symptom.

1) The early Giant control switches on the handlebar have been known to play up due to water ingress. I'm not familiar about the full extent of possible error malfunctions that can happen with a faulty one, but perhaps you could get your LBS (authorised Giant dealer) replace yours for observation. They are well aware of this problem, and most of them already have extra switches. I'm surprised your LBS didn't just swap one over just to see if it gets rid of the problem. The symptom you've described could be caused by "hunting" between two mode levels, or some sort of momentary circuit resistance at the switch.

2) Check if your spoke magnet got knocked out of alignment. It must be facing squarely at the sensor (which is bolted and strapped onto you left chain stay). Also look closely for a slight notch on that sensor. This notch is not at the middle of the sensor block, but it's just beside and close to the hole where the attachment bolt goes into. Make sure the magnet it lined-up with that notch and not lined-up midway the sensor block.

skypony

Jun 15, 2020
Grand Junction CO
Hello Everyone,

Al
This is likely a bad connection between the battery female terminals and the male terminals under the battery. Giant has a small shim that goes under the male terminal block so that it increases the height of the block about 1mm. This makes the male ends go about 1mm deeper into the female ends on the battery. It's not much but it works. I had to do this to my wife's bike with the same symptoms.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles