Trance E3+ Pro - Rear Hub / Wheel upgrade.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Hi guys,
New member here with a Trance E3.
Very annoyingly my rear freehub has failed after only 4 weeks ownership.

I am confident that my LBS will look after the job for me, that’s not a concern (yet at least... will call today) but my actual concern is that my riding takes me up mountains alone and often at night.

So reading that this hub issue is common it’s got me nervous about it, which is the last thing I needed after getting into E- MTB in a big way and really enjoying it, because I’m now looking at routes and thinking “what if that hub breaks again?”

So, part of my plan was always to buy a new set of wheels for the bike that will then be equipped with more road suitable tyres so that it is an easy swop over from commuting to work in the week, to going to the hills at weekend.

That plan is being tweaked in my head now to buying BETTER wheels and hubs for mountain use and to use the existing Giant wheels and (repaired) hub for the road where there will always be the option of a taxi home.

The bike is used on and off road, will never be doing any serious downhill speeds (intentionally) but will be covering rough terrain with some drop offs and I weigh 98kg.

What are you guys thoughts on suitable sizes and brands? I don’t yet understand the sizing etc of these modern hubs, I’ve been out of biking for many years (I’m 48 now) so would appreciate your thoughts.

Regards,
Stu.

Pic of the bike to brighten up the post.

6F275115-4C08-4567-8983-5668D9ECE74C.jpeg

Last edited:

StevenM

Sep 22, 2018
Ipswich Qld Australia
There is an upgraded freewheel section (the bit the chain runs on and goes bzzzzzzz ) and also a upgraded hub ( the bit the spokes go on )

Make sure they upgrade both and you should be apples

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Hi,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Can you possibly advise how we determine the upgrades have been done?

The LBS is suggesting its an issue with grease Viscosity.

Ginsterdrz

Jun 14, 2019
Lancashire
The grease/light oil inside the freehub needs to be thin enough to allow the pawls to engage i.e. lock into place to allow pedal drive to the rear hub. Sticky, overloaded or incorrect grease can stop this happening

I'd insist on a new upgraded complete rear wheel for your time and trouble. You are the customer and have been inconvenienced. Giant are a massive brand.

This is when you find out whether your dealer is any good. Mention you've sought legal advice and are considering rejecting the bike as not fit for purpose. Don't be fobbed off, it's brand new!

I recently took on a very large company and got £400 back from them after issuing a letter before court action under similar circs.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Hi folks,
So I took it back and since the chaps there know what I do for a living they let me inspect the hub there in front of them.

I wouldn’t have believed it had I not seen it for myself, but sure enough, Giant have fitted grease that’s turned very heavy indeed after only 300 miles and as the hub was disassembled the pawls were still retracted and out of engagement.

Clean up, remove old grease, pack with more suitable grease and we are away again. Done around 20 mile since, no problem. Heading to the mountains at 6am so we will see, but there was no hub or pawl damage at all, seems that sometimes these gum up with grease that’s u suitable for the job.

Whilst I know what you are saying about going in kicking off, this still isn’t the shops fault and I get on well with the lads there. I’d have stripped it myself had it not been brand new and under warranty.

Im building myself some road wheels so will build a better rear wheel anyway and use that for my off road tyres long term. Just need to plot what to build.

tp_reading

Jun 25, 2019
Berkshire
Great that your bike shop sorted it out for you. Have you decided what road biased tyres you are going to fit ? I’m doing a charity ride shortly on my Fathom +2 Pro and it’s all on roads so looking to acquire some more appropriate tyres.

Ginsterdrz

Jun 14, 2019
Lancashire
Great news!

I was just giving you ammunition for worst case scenario ???

It's amazing how many people just say 'okay' and accept poor service.

Good dealers become friends and sell you bikes for years. Some shops don't understand that.

I've always had Hope wheels aftermarket and not had a single issue with them. Try Merlin, you're not far away, my fav shop!
Enjoy?

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Totally understand mate. :)
I’m self employed in the automotive industry and deal with both trade and retail myself so understand both sides of the industry with selling machinery and am always keen to see how a business handles an issue with me being polite and courteous. They scored highly. ??

Agree though, you need to firm up the situation fast if need be, but thankfully it wasn’t needed.

The shop is not far from Merlin actually, it’s recently been taken over by the old staff as the owners retired.

Last edited:

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Well, done a few decent trips up in the lakes, two days at Grizedale, a couple of 21 mile loops of Loughrigg and the Langdales etc... No problem with the re-greased hub so far. :)

But went out to the garage today and the ride controllers going mad now and it wont turn off. And the LBS is shut Wednesdays.

Drained of this unreliable bike I must admit... :(

IMG_7226.JPG

Pukmeister

Jul 18, 2019
Fareham
Have you got this fixed yet Stu ??
I'm keen to buy a 2019 Trance E+2 Pro but the sticky grease/broken pawls and the handlebar controller faults seem common and are making me nervous about buying an emtb.

Evolution Stu

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Jun 30, 2019
Blackpool. U.K.
Hi,
I did some research myself and found its water ingress to the controller. I heated it up with a hairdryer and it hasn't happened since. There is a V2 controller and the shop got me one in from Giant, and it will be fitted at my 8-week service.

I do between 70 and 100 miles a week as a rule so I guess we are about 200 trouble free miles in since the "Hairdryer fix".

Unacceptable all the same. No argument. But I am keen to get as many miles as possible on before the shop take it in to be upgraded / checked over, just to see if anything else comes to light.

I seem to have a rattling Suntour front Shock now...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles