Trance E Freehub issues

AgusReezal

Mar 15, 2021
Madrid, Spain
So i have an issue with my freehub on the Trance E. looks like i maybe in for a wait for warranty repair from giant NZ. I was just speaking on the phone with their service rep, he was very helpful and informative regarding the issue. At the moment he is waiting on a response from Giant Australia who are still on holiday (7th) regarding a previous freehub failure that was sent back to Taiwan for investigation to the cause of the failure. he mentioned that in NZ there have only been 2 failures so far (mine, and the guy on youtube). This is not a winge or an attack on Giant, because so far it has been a very positive experience dealing with them. But from talking with others on this site there appears to an issue with other bikes out there. Who else as experienced freehub failures with the e trance 2019, and if so what has been your experiences with the fixes?
Hi,
I had the same issue, contacted Giant service in Madrid, Spain, and they agreed to change the free hub on them. They provided me a whole new rear wheel including rim and a new reinforced hub. It is clear that they built an ebike using conventional bike parts and they broke easily.
Can't complain with Giant Service but disapointed with several ebike designs. It is a recurrent failure, but in my case (Giant Trance SX E+ 0 pro 2019) is an eduro bike! It is suposed to resist high torque.

Regards

DariuszHoryd

Sep 21, 2020
Poland / Gdansk
Hi,
I had the same issue, contacted Giant service in Madrid, Spain, and they agreed to change the free hub on them. They provided me a whole new rear wheel including rim and a new reinforced hub. It is clear that they built an ebike using conventional bike parts and they broke easily.
Can't complain with Giant Service but disapointed with several ebike designs. It is a recurrent failure, but in my case (Giant Trance SX E+ 0 pro 2019) is an eduro bike! It is suposed to resist high torque.

Regards
Let's facet with all bike companies try to save a lot of money a specially on wheelsets... even very expensive bikes has cheap and unreliable hubs.

Mr-EPIC-3

Feb 25, 2020
USA, So Cal
I got fed up with the poor quality of the hub and after having to take my 2019 E+1 pro back 3 times for repair I bought some new fulcrum wheels and threw the old ones in the shed where they have lived for over a year now!
Not had a single issue with the new wheels!
The Giant store said the hub failed because it had been cleaned with a pressure washer! Er no it hasn't! My bike has never had a pressure washer near it, I don't even use a hose pipe on it!
I love the bike when it works but, I would never buy another giant ebike again!
Had loads of other issues too, new motor had to be fitted after just 18 months and less than 1500km(I am only 12 stone and the store and giant head office told me it was wear and tear! Had to fight for a replacement motor, which took 5 weeks to arrive and be fitted!)
Maybe I am just unlucky but again I wouldn't buy another bike from them!
How are the Fulcrum wheels on scale of 1 to 10 (1 = Great or 10 = Shit!)?
I am looking at a set of Fulcrum e-Fire 700 27.5, but can't find anyone reviewing them.
Just want to know if the e-Fire will hold up with hard riding miles on a eMTB.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles