Trance E Freehub issues

Tony.OK

Mar 20, 2019
Napier, New Zealand
Newbie here, post kind of related to the freehub issue....looking to purchase first e bike and looking for a bit of advise. I'm looking at the trance e 3 pro XL. I'd say im an intermediate rider and ride blue trails. Is this ok for my level or is the e1 better for me? I have the option of the trance 3 with a new steel freehub installed for 5.4k from a local Giant shop (they are replacing them on new L and XL bikes, although I don't know if they would have if I didn't know about it from this forum) or one without the new freebub for 4.5k from torpedo 7. The question is do I pay the extra $900 for piece of mind and support the local shop or just get it as cheap as possible and go thought the hassle of the freehub issue if it occurs. Guess Im also asking how common is the issue
Spend the $900 and get the e+1, regardless of hub it'll still be under warranty and a much better spec'd bike.

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
5 weeks in on my fathom pro1’ and im getting clunks at the rear and the cranks turn when not peddaling so looks like my hub is going ! Its due its 6 week check so will book it in but its an 160 mile round trip .. dont fancy leaving bike there for obvious reasons.. not having a good start with Giant tbh( first stance e replaced due to on off on off issues) now the fathom problems... i wouldnt mind but neither bike seen rain or deep mud

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
For those looking for solid replacement I recommend Hope Pro 4. Has given me back the confidence I lost from original hub. I love the fast engagement too, responds so much quicker. Sounds sick too!
20190426_150622.jpg

Pictomix

Mar 18, 2019
Uk
For those looking for solid replacement I recommend Hope Pro 4. Has given me back the confidence I lost from original hub. I love the fast engagement too, responds so much quicker. Sounds sick too!
View attachment 13227 Hey Dude
They look sweet, did you buy complete new wheel or have the wheel rebuilt with the new hubs?
I've had a freehub fail, replaced under warranty, however, I'm gonna upgrade as it will go again in my opinion.
Thanks
Shaun

Lee67

Nov 21, 2018
Yorkshire
Picked my fathom e pro back up today after 11 days... new rear wheel fitted oe spec but a totally diff colour scheme!! Ie wheels had yellow graphics to match the bike’ this new rear is grey ! And came as a trance wheel box says’ sent dealer a message to ask why its not a match see what transpires?? Or are these new tougher hubs all fitted to grey colour schemes?

Yielar

Apr 14, 2019
Kelowna, BC
148mm (boost)

Those look killer! If I ever have any issues with my hub I'll definitely consider throwing one of those in with the anodized blue. Here in Canada looks like we may have a different hub spec for the SX Pro's. Mine is: Giant eTracker Boost, Sealed cartridge bearing, 6 bolt, [F] 110x15mm [R] 148x12mm Thru-axle, e-bike optimized. Still fairly new, no issues yet but hopefully it holds up. Thanks for the feedback!

Wes

Jan 7, 2019
Sydney
after 2 giant hubs i upgraded to a DT240 HYBRID and a respoke with DT alpine 3 .Still waiting on a new switch.

Boofr33

Apr 16, 2019
Adelaide
Yes agree, it does seem like negligence to not recognise there is problem and to simply carry on selling bikes with the same issue and the battery issue of course. Even a simple remedy for LBS would help Giant ?
What is the battery issue you talk of I have just purchased a sx cheers

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
What is the battery issue you talk of I have just purchased a sx cheers
He is probably just talking about the way the battery can be difficult to remove from the bike, sometimes the locking mechanism has to be adjusted so that the latch that holds the battery on the bike disengages fully and you can remove the battery.

I have an E+1 and E+3, the E+3 is a bit tricky to get the battery out of sometimes but I have had no issue with my E+1. Its an easy fix anyway, just frustrating that it has to be done by the customer/LBS.

Of course, correct me if im wrong and there is a different battery issue i am not aware of.

Alcove

Jan 3, 2019
Canada
Unfortunately my like for like warrantied hub has failed after about 600km's... Wheel's back again getting the "upgraded" hub re-laced so will see how this one goes!

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
I have had no bike for about two weeks now.

Have done three hubs. This will be number 4

Really, wow, that sucks balls mate. Time they stepped up with something decent. Have to say the hybrid 240 on my bike has been mint, actually the whole bike has been great, didn't have a lot of confidence with all the issues i had with the 1 but the 0 has given me a renewed faith. Is that why your looking at a Levo?

StevenM

Sep 22, 2018
Ipswich Qld Australia
Really, wow, that sucks balls mate. Time they stepped up with something decent. Have to say the hybrid 240 on my bike has been mint, actually the whole bike has been great, didn't have a lot of confidence with all the issues i had with the 1 but the 0 has given me a renewed faith. Is that why your looking at a Levo?

Yeah mate

One of the reasons I’m looking at other ladies.

Told them I was prepared to throw coin in for the hybrid 240 like your bike and or a hope.

No deal really

StevenM

Sep 22, 2018
Ipswich Qld Australia
Ouch! Are they replacing with the same hub? Not sure of details but there is supposed to be a new and improved which mine is apparently getting...

So wheel is being replaced this time with their final upgrade upgrade we have no solution if you kill this one job.

N saying that the free hub upgrade did not fail this time it was the driver to hub. The aluminium bits have now been replaced with all steel bits in the new wheel / hub

Alcove

Jan 3, 2019
Canada
Their solution should be a new hub/brand/model. I was bad timing with breakage as my dealer told me before this "fix" was available they replaced for another customer with dt Swiss but because this is available they'll be replacing with the "fix". Hopefully I don't have to but if it dies again I will be adamant for the same dt Swiss option. 3 times would be bad but a 5th time for you would be absolutely ridiculous! ?

Not sure if it meant much but let them know this is the first time riding anything but Specialized for about 20 years with very little to no issues so don't disappoint...

Alcove

Jan 3, 2019
Canada
My bike has been with brke shop for 2 months and I have only had it 3 months

??????. Freehub and powder off issue
Ouch, that's a long time!!!

I just got a call this eve telling me my wheel is ready so I'll be grabbing it tomorrow which is about one week out of commission from riding the Giant (dropped wheel on Fri and pick up Wed). They're even super backed up with servicing but promised to squeeze it in... Maybe my Specialized comment did have some weight?! ?

Was stumped with the powder issue for a min finally realizing a typo and you meant power! ?

You ask about a loaner?

Browna41

Mar 15, 2019
Dorking
Ouch, that's a long time!!!

I just got a call this eve telling me my wheel is ready so I'll be grabbing it tomorrow which is about one week out of commission from riding the Giant (dropped wheel on Fri and pick up Wed). They're even super backed up with servicing but promised to squeeze it in... Maybe my Specialized comment did have some weight?! ?

Was stumped with the powder issue for a min finally realizing a typo and you meant power! ?

You ask about a loaner?

I'll ask to see if they will, good point ?

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
What kind of symptoms do you get leading up to the failure? My Mrs giant is making a clunking sound under load and sometimes just peddling along normally. It sounds a bit like the chain changing gears under load or a heavy motor engagement.

Browna41

Mar 15, 2019
Dorking
What kind of symptoms do you get leading up to the failure? My Mrs giant is making a clunking sound under load and sometimes just peddling along normally. It sounds a bit like the chain changing gears under load or a heavy motor engagement.
I sent mine back as soon as it started making similar noises I don't want to chance it breaking whilst out on the trails.

KuRi

May 30, 2019
Spain
Hi! I think I have the same problem and my bike is just 1 day old! (although it was manufactured in 2018 I guess) Can you please take a look at these videos and tell me if you think that this is the infamous freehub problem? Thanks!!!

Regards,
Luis

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles