Trance E Freehub issues

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
Its not an issue with the hub paws so i have been told but an aluminium shim in the hub assemble that is being crushed due to the increased power output. This then causes the paws to miss align and fail. I couldn't be bothered waiting 3-4 weeks for parts (Giant hub) and wanted a louder hub anyway so ill take the upgrade to the DT 350 hybrid EMBT specific hub.
Thats the same response that i had from Giant NZ as well Rob. I really dont think that that is the whole issue, as the say its also related to the extra torque of the 50t eagle cassette, but its not just the eagle equipped hubs that have failed. the old Full E bike from 2017 ran virtually the same motor (80nM?) and those wheel sets didnt have the same failures as the current generation.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I was mid cassette and Eco+, was going up a little pinch, shoulda been in a lower gear but no way on earth should that pop a hub.
Don't think I've ever used the 50t. may put the cassette and derailer on my normal bike and swap for an 11 speed.

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
20190126_131215.jpg
20190126_131200.jpg
20190126_131215.jpg
20190126_131200.jpg
So Nick from Giant NZ supplied a temporary replacement wheel, to see how this hub goes. As you might be able to tell from the first photo its from the LIV range of EMTBs, which are basically the same set up as the e-trance motor wise. I spent the morning at Te Miro MTB Park, had 700m of climbing over about 20 kms. So give the wheel a good workout, did a lot of riding in turbo (high gear, low cadence, as well as spinning in a low gear), wheel performed well, no dramas what so ever, Felt real strong whether climbing or descending. Its kind of strange that giant supplied wheel that seems to be strong enough to the LIV range that were released a good 6 months before the e-trance, but then fitted a hub that clearly isnt fit for purpose on their E-trance range, i guess trying to save some money in production costs. Will see how the wheel holds up over the next couple of days, as got a couple more rides planned of the long weekend. Fingers crossed no dramas this time

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
good spot Poppy, yeah didnt notice that. seems like they are completely different wheel sets between the LIV and regular e-trance. the hubs look very similar though, so not sure how the internals differ from the faulty hubs. Did another 25k today with no issues, so things are finally looking up i guess
20190128_082953-EFFECTS.jpg

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
I am pretty sure Giant only upgraded the hub internals. thats why my replacement failed again, appears metal filings worked there way under the new pawls, which i was kind of surprised about, you would think the LBS would have cleaned the hub thoroughly be fore fitting the new internals
Can I ask who your LBS is?

FYI I got my Giant through EVO Wellington and they managed all my issues with GiantNZ on my behalf.

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
Can I ask who your LBS is?

FYI I got my Giant through EVO Wellington and they managed all my issues with GiantNZ on my behalf.
Torpedo7 Mt wellington. Cant say that its been a great experience using these guys. But they were the only ones that had the large in stock when i brought the bike.
I am planning on taking to the guy who services my road bikes as soon as i get this sorted

Wes

Jan 7, 2019
Sydney
My replacement hub is good so far about 250 ks on it My hub imploded I was mid cassette under power in boost.

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
My replacement hub is good so far about 250 ks on it My hub imploded I was mid cassette under power in boost.
Speaking with Giant NZ earlier this week, it appears that that all the new bikes will have the stronger free hubs fitted when sold. So i would highly recommend that that if anyone has any doubts about there freehub, they should contact the LBS and have them get the parts to upgrade the hubs.
So i am currently waiting on a new wheel, but still the temporary loan wheel is holding up well

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
NEW PLAN OF ATTACK
Although the replacement hub is holding up just fine, I've decided to upgrade my back wheel for peace of mind and have ordered wiggle.co.nz | Hope Tech 35W S-Pull - Pro 4 MTB Rear Wheel | Back Wheels which I'll be pairing with a Sram GX Eagle 1x11 system off of my analog bike which will be home for the 1x12 nx cassette off my Giant.

Hope I don't make the mistake of firing across multiple gears in one go with the 1x11 shifter. Also curious to see if the XD driver makes a difference but as I understand it just allows for a smaller chainring on the cassette.

Just a word of caution to others considering ordering a new hub/wheel. The cassette on the Trance E+ isn't XD driver compatible, so don't buy a XD driver hub if you plan on using the cassette that came with the hub.

minty15389

Dec 22, 2018
morpeth
My free hub has started making loud noises on me today when not pedalling also not engaging when I tried to pedal!! B***ox
I’ve gadthe bike for 6 weeks and loving it but it’s going into giant on Saturday for them to look at it!
So disappointed, pleased I got home with it!!

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
My free hub has started making loud noises on me today when not pedalling also not engaging when I tried to pedal!! B***ox
I’ve gadthe bike for 6 weeks and loving it but it’s going into giant on Saturday for them to look at it!
So disappointed, pleased I got home with it!!
Welcome to the "hub club" :) This forums' fastest growing club

Are you UK based? Curious to hear how they address this fault

minty15389

Dec 22, 2018
morpeth
Welcome to the "hub club" :) This forums' fastest growing club

Are you UK based? Curious to hear how they address this fault
I’m from Newcastle in England I’m taking the bike in Saturday morning, been in touch and sent them a small video of the noise, I got a reply saying all the right things I’ll keep you guys posted with the outcome! Giant need to act swiftly

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
So disappointed, pleased I got home with it!![/QUOTE
I hope it's a speedy fix, giant should have all the parts by now to upgrade them. If you feel like it still isn't right after the upgrade, put pressure on giant to replace the wheel with a new hub.

DarkBlueSheep

Oct 31, 2018
Brisbane
Question for you guys who have had this issue...

On my E+1 I have started to notice that when I'm in the hardest, or second hardest gear and I'm putting a fair amount of power through the drive train, usually when starting from a stationary position, I get a clunk, similar to the feeling you get when changing gear. It kind of feels like the chain is slipping. I keep my chain clean and lubed and I can't see any damage to the gears or chain.

Did you experience any symptoms before your hub let go?

I'm going to take it in to my LBS as soon as I get a chance but just wondering if it's a sign of the hub starting to fail.

minty15389

Dec 22, 2018
morpeth
Question for you guys who have had this issue...

On my E+1 I have started to notice that when I'm in the hardest, or second hardest gear and I'm putting a fair amount of power through the drive train, usually when starting from a stationary position, I get a clunk, similar to the feeling you get when changing gear. It kind of feels like the chain is slipping. I keep my chain clean and lubed and I can't see any damage to the gears or chain.

Did you experience any symptoms before your hub let go?

I'm going to take it in to my LBS as soon as I get a chance but just wondering if it's a sign of the hub starting to fail.
hi
thats exactly how it started i thought there was something wrong with the rear mech at first but it got worse really quickly, thankfull i was quite close to home, i noticed that if i was freewheeling down a hil when i started to pedal the cranks would rotate a couple of times before the motor engaged then shortly after that i got a horrible loud knocking even when i was pushing the bike.
The noises are all coming from the freehub area, now im not technically minded however it was to loud a noise to ignore.
the bike hasnt lost drive im lucky i was close to home and not miles from nowhere.
bikes booked in saturday morning and ill obviously keep every one updated regarding the direction Giant takes, must say though they have been very proactive and positive since i emailed them with small video and information

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles