Trance E Freehub issues

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
G'day FTS, new bike. Like you, my LBS has been nothing short of awesome to deal with. I have had issues with my Pro 1 basically since i have had it. So it was agreed that it was time for another bike, so they looked after me on price and i upgraded. They did get a new E PRO 1 in for me but decided to upgrade and hopefully have a bit of a luck change.
its an awesome looking bike Poppy. How much did the wheelset set you back? pretty sure you wont have an issues with those hubs

Alcove

Jan 3, 2019
Canada

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
Hi Mate, came with the bike. I changed from E PRO 1 to E PRO 0.
I thought they spec the same wheels for all the bikes. That bike is pretty nice, i couldnt justify the price difference. But with the XTR and factory forks i reckon it would be worth every cent. will you be hitting up gap creek today then

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
the giant branded hubs are supposedly DT Swiss built, but i would suspect they would be the lower end offerings, and not based off the 240s. i am hoping this upgrade will bring them upto at least the 350 standard, which is what the h 1700 a based around

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
You probably answered this somewhere; but i can't find it.
I understand that's a new Giant bike; did it came stock with the upgraded hubs?
Or were the hubs specially upgraded for you?

Thanks!

Hi Sophie, they came with the bike as standard. I could have kept changing wheels under warranty, but that is just inconvenient to both myself and the bikeshop, mainly me because i was the one walking. I could have ponied up for new hubs. My LBS has been really great and looked after me with the price on a new bike. By the time i spend money on upgrading this and that it was a no brainer to change bikes. The LBS has sent my old bike back to giant, what happens with it from there is anyones guess.

Wes

Jan 7, 2019
Sydney
Question for the group!

If you had to replace your own hub/wheel, what would you get? Would you get Ebike specific or a solid enduro hub?
Pretty sure I will build a set of Chris King hubs not sure which rim but will keep the giant wheels to put in the bike when i sell it on.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Hi Sophie, they came with the bike as standard. I could have kept changing wheels under warranty, but that is just inconvenient to both myself and the bikeshop, mainly me because i was the one walking. I could have ponied up for new hubs. My LBS has been really great and looked after me with the price on a new bike. By the time i spend money on upgrading this and that it was a no brainer to change bikes. The LBS has sent my old bike back to giant, what happens with it from there is anyones guess.
Hi Poppy,

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately here in Canada Giant is not offering the Trance E+ Pro; only the Trance E+ SX Pro. It seems the difference between the models is that SX uses SRAM components instead of Shimano.

But would you by any chance know whether the SX model (which is the only one available to me in Canada) also comes with the upgraded hubs?

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
Hi Poppy,

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately here in Canada Giant is not offering the Trance E+ Pro; only the Trance E+ SX Pro. It seems the difference between the models is that SX uses SRAM components instead of Shimano.

But would you by any chance know whether the SX model (which is the only one available to me in Canada) also comes with the upgraded hubs?

Hi Sophie, over here in Aus, the SX 0 is exactly the same specs as the 1 except for the suspension upgrade ( factory forks 160 travel, coil rear) wheels, hubs, and all drive components SRAM. The 0 has the same suspension as the SX 0 except forks are 150 travel, Air shock Rear and all driveline, brakes etc are Shimano XTR with DT Swiss Hub.

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
well my ride didnt end so well. Did about 600m of climbing on the sunday, on the downhill i had a couple of chain drops. thought it was because the gain guide was set to high (38 not 36). got back home and while washing the bike i noticed that the cranks would turn while wheeling the bike. the freehub is sticking causing the cranks to turn. so back to the LBS, and another phone call to giant for answers. hopefully have some clue tomorrow. Dutchman i am not sure what hub the used, but they actually only upgraded the internals not the hub shell. i have a feeling that my new issue is related to the damage the broken pawls did to the internal hub shell, not so much the free hub itself. looks like the DT Swiss H 1501 wheel set is on the cards

rob_NZ

Nov 29, 2018
New Zealand
Can confirm that my hub exploded too. Giant NZ and Evo cycles helping me out with a replacement\ upgrade to DT350 Hybrid Picking it up tomorrow!!

rob_NZ

Nov 29, 2018
New Zealand
Its not an issue with the hub paws so i have been told but an aluminium shim in the hub assemble that is being crushed due to the increased power output. This then causes the paws to miss align and fail. I couldn't be bothered waiting 3-4 weeks for parts (Giant hub) and wanted a louder hub anyway so ill take the upgrade to the DT 350 hybrid EMBT specific hub.

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
Its not an issue with the hub paws so i have been told but an aluminium shim in the hub assemble that is being crushed due to the increased power output. This then causes the paws to miss align and fail. I couldn't be bothered waiting 3-4 weeks for parts (Giant hub) and wanted a louder hub anyway so ill take the upgrade to the DT 350 hybrid EMBT specific hub.

Hi Rob, that DT Swiss 240 Hybrid hub in my new bike is whisper quiet. Way quieter than than standard EPro 1 hub.

Wes

Jan 7, 2019
Sydney
well my ride didnt end so well. Did about 600m of climbing on the sunday, on the downhill i had a couple of chain drops. thought it was because the gain guide was set to high (38 not 36). got back home and while washing the bike i noticed that the cranks would turn while wheeling the bike. the freehub is sticking causing the cranks to turn. so back to the LBS, and another phone call to giant for answers. hopefully have some clue tomorrow. Dutchman i am not sure what hub the used, but they actually only upgraded the internals not the hub shell. i have a feeling that my new issue is related to the damage the broken pawls did to the internal hub shell, not so much the free hub itself. looks like the DT Swiss H 1501 wheel set is on the cards
I got a full hub swaped it out myself the new giant hub was heavier then the old 1.I am waying up options build DT 350 HYBIRD and DT rims or a last a lifetime wheel set.

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ

Bugger!

From no engagement through to complete engagement. I can understand why the chain dropped, if the cassette is pushing the chain onto a static front chainring its gotta go somewhere.

I'll be checking my funds for new wheelset.

dream set: Flite Carbon eMtb - Wheelworks
I'd go for the hope hub tho. purely for aesthetics :cool:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles