Trance E Freehub issues

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
Yes i do hope that the only issue will be the freehubs. Giant have got an oppertunity to get this issue fixed, before it leads to disgruntled and dissafeccted customers. I was surprised to read about the issues with the new LEVO, seemed like it was such a dialed well marketed piece of equipment. lets hope the manufactures learn from these mistakes
There we go, I fixed your post for you...;)

Only teasing. I do find it rather amazing how many Levo owners are happy to continue to defend Specialized for their gaffes, even as they themselves are inconvenienced with trip after trip back to their dealers. Specialized seem to be doing their best to do avoid communicating anything direct to customers; at least Giant are being upfront about their issue.

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
Dont offend the all mighty LEVO. Otherwise thou shall be smited.
I can only say that Giant NZ have been very approchable and up front regarding this, its just a shame that this problem exists in the first place, because the e trance is a great bike, and i do so miss riding it at the moment, sun is shining and tracks are in amazing condition, but i am stuck walking around like a lost camper in the forest

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
20190109_120434.jpg

20190109_120441.jpg

This is the inside of my 1st freehub. Lunched all the pawls and the ratchet gear.

20190109_120154.jpg

This is the inside of my second freehub.
Broke a pawl and it spun the ratchet gear inside the hub. They are screwed into place.

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
Mine looks like your first wheel Poppy. Get on to giant AU, as i believe they should be sourcing the new strengthened parts to repair the hubs and freehub. By all accounts they should be get the replacement part in very soon. i am hoping to have mine back early next week, but i have said that before

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
I think the ratchet system in the DT Swiss hubs might be a good option or a hub with more than 3 points of contact. A lot of load gets put through the drive system and the hub seems the weekest link.

Wes

Jan 7, 2019
Sydney
My only choice now even with upgraded parts coming is build a set myself that will last and that means Chris King hubs still working on the rims.

Alcove

Jan 3, 2019
Canada
Brought mine back to shop before I had failure out in the trails leaving me stranded. Ironically the mechanic took it for a ride and the first corner the hub totally died. Looks like I'm in the same boat waiting to hear back from Giant.

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
Brought mine back to shop before I had failure out in the trails leaving me stranded. Ironically the mechanic took it for a ride and the first corner the hub totally died. Looks like I'm in the same boat waiting to hear back from Giant.
yeah, its time to really start to pressure giant to fix this problem in a timely fashion, and to also notify other owner who are unaware of this issue to arrange the repair. I hope you are not to long without your bike

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
My only choice now even with upgraded parts coming is build a set myself that will last and that means Chris King hubs still working on the rims.
i guess you cant go wrong with the gold standard of hubs. I cant afford the cost of the chris kings, but are looking are either the hope pro4 or DT Swiss hybrids. Wait and see what giant come back with first

Reactions: Wes

Alcove

Jan 3, 2019
Canada
I'm off to pick up my bike today. I believe the replacement is like for like and not any upgraded internals if there will be any. Of course the gripes you hear is when something is wrong so I would expect this issue to be a relatively small % in comparison.

Either way, I wouldn't let the hub stop you cuz for one, there's the warranty and two, if you wanted to, you can still rebuild the wheel to a very nice hub which would most likely still be cheaper than another comparable bike in a different brand. My first option was the new Levo but bang for buck with the components, Specialized can't even come close (even if I am to rebuild the wheel with my own hub).

Scapel24

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
Yeah that’s what I was thinking. Might even get them to lace a hope hub to the original rim before it even leaves the shop. Too much homework on any brand and your bound to find issues.

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
Any updates on your hubs? I was thinking about the Giant but now I’m really concerned. It’s not a good look
Hey Scapel,
Well Giant NZ are still waiting for the replacement hubs from Taiwan, they hope to have an answer end of the week (holding breath). As Alcove stated don't let the freehub issue hold you back from buying the e trance, its a really good bike, and the value for money spec wise is almost unbeatable for bikes available in NZ. I do recommend taking them for a test ride, and compare them to other bikes at the same price point, you wont be disappointed. and you can always upgrade the wheels with the money you save.

Scapel24

Jan 13, 2019
New Zealand
Hey Scapel,
Well Giant NZ are still waiting for the replacement hubs from Taiwan, they hope to have an answer end of the week (holding breath). As Alcove stated don't let the freehub issue hold you back from buying the e trance, its a really good bike, and the value for money spec wise is almost unbeatable for bikes available in NZ. I do recommend taking them for a test ride, and compare them to other bikes at the same price point, you wont be disappointed. and you can always upgrade the wheels with the money you save.[/QUOTE

Cheers mate, yeah I’ve done a lot of research and reviews are all pretty positive. Looking forward to it!

Alcove

Jan 3, 2019
Canada
Got my bike and as expected like for like replacement since the new parts aren't available yet. Surprisingly the pawls were OK but it was the ratchet that was worn. They had to replace the whole hub and the "upgraded version" will have a replaceable ratchet to eliminate the full hub replacement and is "hopefully" made with harder metals.

Fingers crossed this one lasts for a bit but not longer than warranty!

For now it's bike ride time! The last few days, pedaling like the mortals had me wanting my bike back! :giggle:

Good luck to anyone still playing the waiting game!

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
This is my video!! Sorry for the poor quality!
I've been meaning to do a followup video but have been busy. Will link it to this forum but to summarize:

Giant have replaced the controller which has rectified the electrical problem 100%. They attributed the rear hub failure to over greasing of the hub during assembly which result in pawls either not bouncing back or not fully extending which sheared off the slots where the pawls should rest when the cassette moves forward. makes sense in my opinion and since receiving the new hub I've had no issues but still am cautious to pedal too hard or use the turbo+ setting. I'll open the hub soon to see how it's holding up.

Have ridden over 500km since making that video. I spent 2 weeks touring the epic South Island of NZ in a camper van with my bike on the back and rode almost every day. Had a blast!! Rode everything from long-distance XC to gnarly DH and bike park style tracks. I must say I'm now more confident with the ride and haven't had any failures besides a rear flat tire. (BTW the tubeless sealant that comes with the bike is sh#t). I've replaced the Rekon with a DHR which suits my riding style better. The bike has held up well to the trashing and continues to perform in various conditions. fingers crossed my issues are over!!!

I also had the opportunity to ride a few other EMTB over the holidays and I must say I'm increasingly happy with my Giant. Not the best Ebike I've ridden but for the $$$ it's by far best value for money. I found the levo and kenevo quite disappointing given their cult following. they have good attention to detail but under spec'd for the price. Also rode a Haibike which was very odd. geometry seem'd very dated (steep angles, long stem, narrow bars etc). seems like every EMTB rider I've spoken to has had their own issues as well. Haven't seen any other Trances yet tho!!

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
This is my video!! Sorry for the poor quality!
I've been meaning to do a followup video but have been busy. Will link it to this forum but to summarize:

Giant have replaced the controller which has rectified the electrical problem 100%. They attributed the rear hub failure to over greasing of the hub during assembly which result in pawls either not bouncing back or not fully extending which sheared off the slots where the pawls should rest when the cassette moves forward. makes sense in my opinion and since receiving the new hub I've had no issues but still am cautious to pedal too hard or use the turbo+ setting. I'll open the hub soon to see how it's holding up.

Have ridden over 500km since making that video. I spent 2 weeks touring the epic South Island of NZ in a camper van with my bike on the back and rode almost every day. Had a blast!! Rode everything from long-distance XC to gnarly DH and bike park style tracks. I must say I'm now more confident with the ride and haven't had any failures besides a rear flat tire. (BTW the tubeless sealant that comes with the bike is sh#t). I've replaced the Rekon with a DHR which suits my riding style better. The bike has held up well to the trashing and continues to perform in various conditions. fingers crossed my issues are over!!!

I also had the opportunity to ride a few other EMTB over the holidays and I must say I'm increasingly happy with my Giant. Not the best Ebike I've ridden but for the $$$ it's by far best value for money. I found the levo and kenevo quite disappointing given their cult following. they have good attention to detail but under spec'd for the price. Also rode a Haibike which was very odd. geometry seem'd very dated (steep angles, long stem, narrow bars etc). seems like every EMTB rider I've spoken to has had their own issues as well. Haven't seen any other Trances yet tho!!

Hey dutchman,
I got a phone call from Giant NZ this afternoon, to say that the upgraded hubs have arrived from Taiwan, it seems that your bike and my bike were the only 2 in NZ to have this issue. So i would expect that your LBS should be getting the parts to repair the hubs very soon. I hope that i will have mine back in time for some riding over the weekend. I will keep everybody up to date with how the upgrade goes. Again i commend Giant NZ for there help, and freely providing the information about there findings, and listening to my bitching about the issue. Lets hope these are the only issues with the trance

The Flying Dutchman

E*POWAH Master
Jan 16, 2019
Wellington NZ
Hey dutchman,
I got a phone call from Giant NZ this afternoon, to say that the upgraded hubs have arrived from Taiwan, it seems that your bike and my bike were the only 2 in NZ to have this issue. So i would expect that your LBS should be getting the parts to repair the hubs very soon. I hope that i will have mine back in time for some riding over the weekend. I will keep everybody up to date with how the upgrade goes. Again i commend Giant NZ for there help, and freely providing the information about there findings, and listening to my bitching about the issue. Lets hope these are the only issues with the trance

I actually wonder if I got a whole new wheel or if they just replaced the internals of the hub. Suppose it doesn't matter as long as the problem doesn't happen again.

Can I ask what you mean by "upgraded hubs" are you getting aftermarket or just a new giant one? I think I might replace mine out of my own pocket in the future anyways.

My issues were managed through Evo Cycles in Wellington and I must say I was very impressed with their service. Went above and beyond to sort the issue(s) even going as far as taking a wheel off their demo bike so I could ride whilst they sorted a replacement, they also personally picked up the bike from my house and delivered back to me once the repairs were done. Good shit!!

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
This freehub problem is a major issue. Ticking time bomb for rear hub failure.
Don't understand how Giant, such a large bike company, manufacturing bikes for so long, could design and release bikes with such wheels. Wheels are not a new invention.

Have been waiting for one these Giant e-trance bikes here in Canada, but now I am not so sure.

May go for the Devinci AC XT; but based on what I have read, I think I would have preferred the Giant motor ("instant on"), and the e-trance looks much less like an e-bike compared to the Devinci.

And apparently you get more range out of the Yamaha motor in the Giant, compared with the Shimano motor in the Devinci.

VERY disappointed.

Last edited:

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
I think I could still order an e-trance, but only if Giant in advance would promise me to replace a failed Giant wheel with a "DT SWISS H1700 27.5 12X148MM, TL READY, 35MM INTERNAL " - the same wheel as the Devinci.

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
Well if poppyd
I actually wonder if I got a whole new wheel or if they just replaced the internals of the hub. Suppose it doesn't matter as long as the problem doesn't happen again.

Can I ask what you mean by "upgraded hubs" are you getting aftermarket or just a new giant one? I think I might replace mine out of my own pocket in the future anyways.

My issues were managed through Evo Cycles in Wellington and I must say I was very impressed with their service. Went above and beyond to sort the issue(s) even going as far as taking a wheel off their demo bike so I could ride whilst they sorted a replacement, they also personally picked up the bike from my house and delivered back to me once the repairs were done. Good shit!!
Dutchman will let you know tomorrow regarding the hub being new or just the parts replaced. But from what I understand it's completely new internals. Bearings, Axel's ,and free hub internals

friartuckshop

Jan 2, 2019
Auckland New Zealand
I think I could still order an e-trance, but only if Giant in advance would promise me to replace a failed Giant wheel with a "DT SWISS H1700 27.5 12X148MM, TL READY, 35MM INTERNAL " - the same wheel as the Devinci.
I am starting to think that you would probably end up with a very similar if not a rebadged hub to the one you list,if you ordered your bike now from Giant. Seriously I cannot be more supportive of giant NZ in their response to this issue

poppy

Jun 26, 2018
Gold Coast Queensland
That's what I wanted to see Poppy, they are using the DT Swiss hybrid hub system.is this the giant replacement? Or did you buy a new wheelset

G'day FTS, new bike. Like you, my LBS has been nothing short of awesome to deal with. I have had issues with my Pro 1 basically since i have had it. So it was agreed that it was time for another bike, so they looked after me on price and i upgraded. They did get a new E PRO 1 in for me but decided to upgrade and hopefully have a bit of a luck change.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles