Trance 5 power settings is that too many?

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
Hi guys I am more or less decided on the Trance E +2 but I am not sure about the 5 power settings as it seems like two too many! So what are your thoughts is it ok do you get on with it and do you like having 5 settings?

Thanks

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
I like it especially with the Giant app that allows you to tune each one. You get just the right pedal feel for ever surface or incline. I tend to use the bottom three settings most of the time with the top two as a get out of trouble setting

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I like it especially with the Giant app that allows you to tune each one. You get just the right pedal feel for ever surface or incline. I tend to use the bottom there settings most of the time with the top two as a get out of trouble setting

Ahh a positive opinion that's good :) it's the only thing I am unsure of so it would be good to get some good comments :)

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
The configurable support in all modes via the app is very handy (take note Shimano ;)), but it is a bit mystifying that they don’t have an adaptive support mode a la the Bosch EMTB or Shimano Trail. They have all the sensors to do it; it would appear to be just a matter of writing the software. Very strange.

Alcove

Jan 3, 2019
Canada
I like the 5 as you have more flexibility to battery usage depending on your planned ride. Generally I use 3,4,5 and 1,2 only when I’m trying to make it back home with low juice...

bullet

Jan 18, 2019
Somerset UK
just did 23k on quantocks, elevation gain 4300ft, out for 2 hours 10, 54% of battery used, mainly in 2 and 3 mode. happy with that. think i might get a softer seat though... :)

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
The configurable support in all modes via the app is very handy (take note Shimano ;)), but it is a bit mystifying that they don’t have an adaptive support mode a la the Bosch EMTB or Shimano Trail. They have all the sensors to do it; it would appear to be just a matter of writing the software. Very strange.
Apologize for my ignorance.
What is "adaptive support mode"?

RobNevyn

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Nov 19, 2018
Central Coast NSW Australia
Apologize for my ignorance.
What is "adaptive support mode"?

Both Bosch & Shimano have a mode that you can ride in that will automatically change the assisted power amount according to how you are pedaling, for example, if you are just idling along a flat and easy road then the bike will automatically dial down the assist percentage that the motor is delivering to save battery power, in contrast to that if you are pedaling up a steep hill and working hard, then the power will automatically give more assist to help you climb without changing the settings on your controller.

I also had wondered why Yamaha/Giant do not have this feature in their controls. I agree that it is likely a software program change that they could be added via flashing the firmware or something similar.

Sophie777

Jul 3, 2018
Canada
Both Bosch & Shimano have a mode that you can ride in that will automatically change the assisted power amount according to how you are pedaling, for example, if you are just idling along a flat and easy road then the bike will automatically dial down the assist percentage that the motor is delivering to save battery power, in contrast to that if you are pedaling up a steep hill and working hard, then the power will automatically give more assist to help you climb without changing the settings on your controller.

I also had wondered why Yamaha/Giant do not have this feature in their controls. I agree that it is likely a software program change that they could be added via flashing the firmware or something similar.
Thanks for that great explanation!

I just wondering though... I am a weak rider.
So if I am trying to get up a hill, and "working hard" - but "working hard" for me is probably not the torque most other people put into the pedals when they're working hard.

Is the Shimano or Bosche system able to sense someone "working hard" even when they are not putting in much torque - because they can't (like me)?

Last edited:

mark.ai

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jul 10, 2018
Windermere
I just wondering though... I am a weak rider.
So if I am trying to get up a hill, and "working hard" - but "working hard" for me is probably not the torque most other people put into the pedals when they're working hard.

Is the Shimano or Bosche system able to sense someone "working hard" even when they are not putting in much torque - because they can't (like me)?

I don't know about the Bosch system, but the Shimano on max assist mode gives 300% of whatever power the rider is able to apply. So, say you want the motor to be giving out 450 Watts then you would have to be pedalling with 150 Watts yourself.

But the combined power (rider + motor) you would need to get up a hill will depend on how steep the hill is, what your weight is, how fast you want to go (what your lowest easiest gear is).

I think the only way you will know if it will work for you is to actually try it on a representative hill and see. Unless you've used any power meters in the past and know what sort of power you can pedal with?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles