Trailwatts Focus TEC battery

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Dear focus group,

I would like to develop a trailwatts booster battery for the focus ebikes.
Would anyone be able to lend trailwatts a tec pack for 1 week for testing. A hire offer of £100 for this kindness would be offered.

Kent area UK ??

Please contact me at [email protected]
www.trailwatts.com

I look forward to bringing a booster battery to the focus. Hopefully 378wh pack or higher depending on the parameters set by focus.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Just a thought Trailwatts, is their actually a market for another 378wh battery extender when you can already buy the TEC pack for less than £400 and some bike shops (Rutland Cycles for one) include them with the bike. Also, I find the resultant 756wh far more than I've ever needed and the new Focus bikes now come with a 630wh internal battery.

I would be happy with something less powerful if that meant it would be less bulky and weighty than the TEC pack one, hence I ordered a 250wh one (giving 628wh) from e=BooZ. This may have shortcomings of which I am unaware and it has yet to be delivered.

As I said, just a thought and I accept you will know far more about the technical and the market possibilities than me.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
As I have had at least 50 enquiries regarding the focus packs along with eroad bikes using a similar concept of a bottle in a cage plugging into charge port. This avenue needs investigating as I’m sure a smaller/ neater alternative should arise.

Please let me know what the ebooz cost as it is interesting to see markets.

S D

Mar 26, 2019
Shelley
I agreed with peaky, I’ve only ever attached the tec pack once in 6months in anticipation of a long ride but even then I never used it.
A smaller lighter alternative would definitely be of interest though.
You could use my tec pack but apparently postage is an issue?

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I have a TEC pack that I got as part of the deal with the bike, but apart from using it see how it felt and to make sure it worked, then I haven't used it in seven months. (Maybe I should get out more!)

If you can sort out any transport issues, you can borrow mine.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
As I have had at least 50 enquiries regarding the focus packs along with eroad bikes using a similar concept of a bottle in a cage plugging into charge port. This avenue needs investigating as I’m sure a smaller/ neater alternative should arise.

Please let me know what the ebooz cost as it is interesting to see markets.

Yes, mounting actually in a bottle cage is a slightly different approach to the TEC pack system and the TEC battery is very heavy and bulky. Never understood how, when Focus went to the trouble of designing such a clean looking bike, they gave us such a bulky and ugly TEC battery.

The e-BooZ battery I ordered (250wh, with Focus cable) cost £395 (415 euros) a month ago, probably a little more now with lower exchange rate.

I use my TEC battery for around 50% of my rides, more in winter but rarely use more than two indicated cells which is why I went for the 250wh.

Peaky Rider

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Yes, mounting actually in a bottle cage is a slightly different approach to the TEC pack system and the TEC battery is very heavy and bulky. Never understood how, when Focus went to the trouble of designing such a clean looking bike, they gave us such a bulky and ugly TEC battery.

The e-BooZ battery I ordered (250wh, with Focus cable) cost £395 (415 euros) a month ago, probably a little more now with lower exchange rate.

I use my TEC battery for around 50% of my rides, more in winter but rarely use more than two indicated cells which is why I went for the 250wh.

Peaky Rider

I will only use the bottle for testing then design a case as I have done for the Levo.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England

Peaky Rider
Did the cable come with e-booz or did you have to buy it seperately. How are you finding the e-booz battery?

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Did the cable come with e-booz or did you have to buy it seperately. How are you finding the e-booz battery?

Yes, a Focus specific cable came with my E-Booz.

e-Booz Battery Range Extender da 36V 7Ah 250Wh - Riparazione e progettazione batterie per ebike

I have mixed views on the unit.

It is a very clean and attractive design and it is difficult to be precise but it seems to be giving me another 10 to 15 miles (mine is the 250wh one) which is all I wanted.

It arrived damaged as the packaging was quite flimsy. A new part (a plastic end cap) was sent very quickly but not everyone would be happy replacing this as soldering is involved.

The connecting cable is also a bit of a crude affair (goodness knows how they justify £40 for this when bought separately). Mine broke after four rides and I had to re-solder it. I tried to get a new length of cable with the male magnetic plug from Focus to make a better job of it, but they were unable to help and I don't know where else to get one from.

It was also a month before I received it.

Range is now ideal for me and just for the added weight of a full water bottle, which is much less than the TEC pac battery which is a bit of a brick.

If only they'd taken a little more care when assembling it.

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
I agree about the tec battery, it's a bulky old thing!!

Also 250wh would be ideal for me as well, the ebooz looks good but I'd prefer a UK based seller.

Any updates from TrailwattsUK?

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
Yes, a Focus specific cable came with my E-Booz.

e-Booz Battery Range Extender da 36V 7Ah 250Wh - Riparazione e progettazione batterie per ebike

I have mixed views on the unit.

It is a very clean and attractive design and it is difficult to be precise but it seems to be giving me another 10 to 15 miles (mine is the 250wh one) which is all I wanted.

It arrived damaged as the packaging was quite flimsy. A new part (a plastic end cap) was sent very quickly but not everyone would be happy replacing this as soldering is involved.

The connecting cable is also a bit of a crude affair (goodness knows how they justify £40 for this when bought separately). Mine broke after four rides and I had to re-solder it. I tried to get a new length of cable with the male magnetic plug from Focus to make a better job of it, but they were unable to help and I don't know where else to get one from.

It was also a month before I received it.

Range is now ideal for me and just for the added weight of a full water bottle, which is much less than the TEC pac battery which is a bit of a brick.

If only they'd taken a little more care when assembling it.
That's a shame...

I wouldn't mind a smaller 250w bottle mounted extender.

Never really got the TEC pack. Why go for a lighter smaller battery and then design a lump for the frame like that!

Macone

E*POWAH Master
Oct 28, 2018
Wellington New Zealand
I use my Tec pack on most rides and commonly drain both batteries. my last two rides showed 1km and 2km range remaining, respectively. Guess we all have different requirements. I'd love a 500wh Tec pack to give me a total of 878wh for extending my current rides.

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
I would love to have the time for longer rides, then yes a 500wh battery would be great, but mine are all short sharp shock type rides which the internal battery does fine with. The odd commute I have been forced to do (without a car) it gets a bit squeaky on battery range getting home (around 20 miles each way) hence a small extender would do the trick

JonnyM

Oct 15, 2019
Cambridge, UK
I'd be interested in one that doubles the range.

I'm off to Bike Park Wales plus some other long rides later this month. Do you offer rental units?

MTBJay

Jul 20, 2020
UK
I'm tempted... ?

Although, even though the product sounds decent, from reading several posts on here their customer service isn't so great...
The guy i have been emailing seems to reply, i cant seem to find a TEC pack at the moment anywhere

stiv674

E*POWAH Elite
Mar 4, 2019
Wiltshire
The guy i have been emailing seems to reply, i cant seem to find a TEC pack at the moment anywhere

That's a plus. Not sure what the warranty period is, can't see it on their website...

I have got a tec pack, just wanted something smaller and neater though.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
I'm might if I ever get an alternative...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles