Trailforks and "no ebikes"

freerider85

Dec 20, 2018
canada
Hi guys

I have question regards trailforks .I came back from my local trails what I'm ussualy riding after work.
And they set them to NO Ebikes in trailforks it wasn't like this couple weeks ago .
Also I saw couple signs around trails (no ebikes) not everywhere but couple was already installed .This really pisses me off !!
What gives them right to ban ebikes (pedelecs) ? I'm in Calgary - Canada... city allows e-bikes (pedelecs) on pathways and trails (trails what I'm talking about are in city park).
So what is this builder can use his own law on city property this doesn't make sense ?

Last edited:

Dirtnvert

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Its ignorance and a knee jerk reaction. They just dont know how emtb's actually work. Its changing fast. I think they wasted $ on signage. Im berting with the continued debate over the winter that next year we'll have a lot more options. In most cases theyre just signs with no enforcement. K country is an emtb dream zone. So many options with zero people away from.the popular trails. Razors edge would be amazing on an eeb but theres a lot of barely used trail on the otherside of highwood pass

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Usually not Trailforks but some idiot user that marks them - even when there are signs up saying ebikes allowed.
Caught a young idiot tearing down ebike signs the other weekend and kick his ass up to his shoulders. His bitch was that if he had to pedal or shuttle up to the top everyone else should too.

freerider85

Dec 20, 2018
canada
I see Dirtenvert you know area around Calgary. I have done razors edge couple times love the slab there . For me Moose mt is best, ebikes are allowed and you can ride long loops my favorite loop is (pneuma pedal up,special.k,ridgeback,moosepackers,and than family guy or 727 downhill) . But back to original topic the park what I'm talking about is Fish creek (sw side) .I don't uderstand how they can ban ebikes from area if city statement is clear .The City of Calgary - Electric Bikes on Pathways

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I guess itd be best to contact the city or maybe a local emtb shop. I lived in banff/canmore for 25 years so i didnt make a trip to ride Fish. I did ride/race at cop a few times but that was only to visit friends. I see your point though. If i lived there fish creek would be a close option. Havent been to moose in years, following what theyre doing though and its super impressive. New jump trail looks amazing(not sure its finished yet). Good luck. Im sure its only a matter of time

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
I see Dirtenvert you know area around Calgary. I have done razors edge couple times love the slab there . For me Moose mt is best, ebikes are allowed and you can ride long loops my favorite loop is (pneuma pedal up,special.k,ridgeback,moosepackers,and than family guy or 727 downhill) . But back to original topic the park what I'm talking about is Fish creek (sw side) .I don't uderstand how they can ban ebikes from area if city statement is clear .The City of Calgary - Electric Bikes on Pathways

Just saw this. Says they’re allowed on at least some trails at fish creek. Pilot program for most of k country so no real good trails. Baldy pass from lush creek parking on the north climband descend the south side would be awesome on an even.

Alberta Parks launches e-bike trial in K-Country - RMOToday.com

freerider85

Dec 20, 2018
canada
Just saw this. Says they’re allowed on at least some trails at fish creek. Pilot program for most of k country so no real good trails. Baldy pass from lush creek parking on the north climband descend the south side would be awesome on an even.

Alberta Parks launches e-bike trial in K-Country - RMOToday.com

Interesting
Not much in Kananaskis yet I have done Baldy pass too .The problem in fish creek is I need use some trails like connector and with restrictions its almost impossible its same in Bragg creek thank's god for moose mt. I don't want argue with analog hill grinder's but this restrictions giving them reason to be mad ( I usually just say hi and keep going) .I was often fish creek . If I look to trailforks they banned every single trail in fish creek.Now I'm using my ebike from home if I have take analog bike I need use my car first to get bike there because ride from home is just too far... idiotic restrictions-no respect

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Ya that sucks. Wonder why they say there is trails there for emtb. Strange
I dont worry about poaching unless its in the national park. Thats the only place youll see enforcement. Wardens are wardens phone the po po. I was riding in Banff before the no biking signs went up in the early 90's. I have hidden hike in hike out access points to a lot of those trails but that gets old. Ive rarely , if ever , saw k country park rangers on the trails that see bike traffic. A lot of park and i think theres only 3 or 4 of them. Mid week precip days theres no one on most of those trails. Weekends pick the less popular ones. Misty pass is one i did years ago that i thought would be good on an eeb. Jumping pound/cox hill, baldy, and prairie view/jewel pass were the big three. Prairie view jewel is really the only one you might see a number of people. Jumping pound/cox you might see a few hikers at the bottom. I dont think youd have a problem there mid week. Find an old copy of "backcountry biking in the canadian rockies". A bunch of jems in there that would suck on an acoustic mtb thatd be great on an eeb. Bunch of stuff around canmore. How far is COP for you? Id think id much rather go there than fish creek. COP would be a great trail center for emtb. Could breath new life into that zone

freerider85

Dec 20, 2018
canada
Thank you for good tips . I should visit COP never been there and I live in Calgary over 5yr .I'm riding a lot in winter also as with emtb is it real fun and trails are almost empty .I always trying find time or day when trails are not very busy over summer (I don't like crowded trails).I also thinking about moving to BC there is more options for riding and to have fun in summer AB is more winter land .

Dirtnvert

Sep 25, 2018
BC Canada
Thank you for good tips . I should visit COP never been there and I live in Calgary over 5yr .I'm riding a lot in winter also as with emtb is it real fun and trails are almost empty .I always trying find time or day when trails are not very busy over summer (I don't like crowded trails).I also thinking about moving to BC there is more options for riding and to have fun in summer AB is more winter land .

This is the last week for the bike park in revy(closes on the 22nd)but its great with the emtb. Its a 7km climb off the top of the gondola for a 15km decent. Blue jump trail. Sooo many jumps and berms. Super fun. if youre heading this way, send a message. I might be able to book off for a ride

freerider85

Dec 20, 2018
canada
I would like to visit Revelstoke didn't ride there yet just - Pano,Fernie and Kicking horse with my DH bike. This week working not make it to closure (I was last week in Fernie with emtb) .I will let you if I will have trip around revy before first snow.

freerider85

Dec 20, 2018
canada
ALL GOOD :) just trailforks is acting weirdly and say NO to ebikes .Alberta has pilot to October 2020 for ebikes like Dirtnvert posted above more parks included .SO THE SIGN WHAT I SAW WAS PERMITTING SIGN :) I just didn't payed attention enough when I rode around last time ,then I checked trailforks and it looked like disaster - ban for every trail.....Now I can ride almost every trail legaly GR8...Ebikes are Permitted in WBC PRA – New Test Policy | GBCTA - Volunteer Trails Assoc.

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles