Trail braking and error code / beep

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I've noticed this a couple of times, and it is always while I'm dragging brake (trail braking) while pedalling. It's usually in technical areas so I just hear the beep but don't see the error. It doesn't matter what the error is because I know what's causing it. Is there any work around for this? I'm kind of surprised that this common technique is not accounted for by shimano.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I've given it some thought; I'm guessing it is something to do with the torque sensor. Dragging brake and keeping the torque on (very slow high torque on the pedals).

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA

Cuz we have a lot of tight and twisty stuff (for me, a slight bit of trail braking help keeps the bike wound up and ready to accelerate out) and cuz I ride a dirt bike too. I trail brake less on my analog bike. My eMTB doesn't accelerate "instantly" so keeping the assist up a bit does help slingshot out of a tight turn.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
It also fucks up your suspension performance.
but it's your choice.

You honestly think braking helps acceleration out of a turn?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
It also fucks up your suspension performance.
but it's your choice.

You honestly think braking helps acceleration out of a turn?

Ha. Common sense and the laws of physics say no. ;-)

I just feel like keeping the motor boost a bit wound up helps acceleration out of a turn. A tiny amount of rear brake drag seems to help enable that. I don't trail brake on my Hightower.

But as you know, proper braking technique overall is what'll make you faster and in better control. A guy I know in NZ has done some serious research on the topic and it's a good read. He's developed a product that is kinda like the ShockWiz of braking - and a lot of riders are often surprised by the data and how ineffectively they're braking.

Check it out:

Cheers.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
I haven't had that error for a while now - so I think it was fixed with a firmware update, which surprises me :). I hadn't updated since I bought the bike - 10 months? There were two updates I think, one for the power button and motor (4.8).

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles