TQ Motors Factory tour

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Interesting read. If the motor turns out as good as its claimed it will be great for the industry as it will push the other manufacturers to advance there technology.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
For now I am this a bit sceptical about this powertrain. More power and torque is all very well, but a) I've not ridden a system that needed any more power for any of the terrain I ride, and b) unless it is partnered by a step forward in battery tech you won't be able to use that power without there being an impact on range. You can't beat the physics - more power out of the motor requires more energy from the battery to generate it.

eBikes_CDM

Jan 23, 2019
Newport Beach,CA
For now I am this a bit sceptical about this powertrain. More power and torque is all very well, but a) I've not ridden a system that needed any more power for any of the terrain I ride, and b) unless it is partnered by a step forward in battery tech you won't be able to use that power without there being an impact on range. You can't beat the physics - more power out of the motor requires more energy from the battery to generate it.

Not entirely true.

Look at what Tesla does with a 85Kw pack.....

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The Tesla has 10 times the voltage and 170 times the capacity. Not exactly a fair comparison.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I rode the TQ motor, for about 45 minutes. Not on anything technical, but was good to give it a test. It has a lot of power, but you dont need to use it all. Just like the Brose Mag S, in Turbo its a lot, but it does have its uses on really steep stuff. This is where the TQ will come into its own.

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
They also confirmed that they were working on (and had pretty much had it signed off) a newer, better version of it. Incredible how far in advance (many years+) that the engineers are working..

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Like Rob says, the motor has much more power than most will ever need. So rather than have a 120Nm of torque available, I'd rather have a lower amount but with something lighter or less stressed and therefore more reliable.

@MattyB makes an excellent point in that you cannot take more out of the battery than there is in there to take. So if you use that 120Nm of torque, then the range will fall.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
It all depends on how the power is delivered, and until tests start to come out, we just dont know.

More-read-than-ride

Patreon
Jan 3, 2019
Spain
I have ordered a flyon allmtn, aware of the potential risks but for me it is worth it, and for me part of the reason is not only the power but also the low or completely eliminated drag of the motor. @Rob Hancill did you notice that in your test?

Rob Rides EMTB

Administrator
Staff member
Subscriber
Jan 14, 2018
Surrey, UK
I have ordered a flyon allmtn, aware of the potential risks but for me it is worth it, and for me part of the reason is not only the power but also the low or completely eliminated drag of the motor. @Rob Hancill did you notice that in your test?
Well, I didn't really notice any drag, but you can feel it 'cut off' as you lose power.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles