• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Answered Towball bike carrier

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I bought the Thule Velo Space XT 2, which is a 2-bike carrier, convertible to 3 by buying an extra bit##. Max load weight is 60kg, max individual bike weight is 30kg. I will be carrying only two bikes and it is very good piece of kit. Suitable for 13 pin electrics (conversion plugs from 13 to 7 available). Solid and well made. The carrier weighs 18.7kg (so say Thule, not checked mine).

It takes tyres up to 4.7" wide, wheelbase up to 1300mm.

The price that Thule show is £475, but I got mine from Halfords for £382.50 on click & collect.

## It will cost you £130 to convert the 2-bike carrier to a 3-bike, = £512.50, which is more than buying the XT 3 outright (see below).

The Thule Velo Space XT 3 is a 3 bike carrier, convertible to 4 by buying an extra bit. Max load weight is still 60kg, max individual bike weight is 30kg.

The price that Thule show is £550, but Halfords have them at £495, and if you go for click and collect to your local branch, you should get 10% off, therefore £445.50

Depending upon the weight of your three eBikes, you may feel that one of the above options is the one for you.

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
I bought the Thule Velo Space XT 2, which is a 2-bike carrier, convertible to 3 by buying an extra bit##. Max load weight is 60kg, max individual bike weight is 30kg. I will be carrying only two bikes and it is very good piece of kit. Suitable for 13 pin electrics (conversion plugs from 13 to 7 available). Solid and well made. The carrier weighs 18.7kg (so say Thule, not checked mine).

It takes tyres up to 4.7" wide, wheelbase up to 1300mm.

The price that Thule show is £475, but I got mine from Halfords for £382.50 on click & collect.

## It will cost you £130 to convert the 2-bike carrier to a 3-bike, = £512.50, which is more than buying the XT 3 outright (see below).

The Thule Velo Space XT 3 is a 3 bike carrier, convertible to 4 by buying an extra bit. Max load weight is still 60kg, max individual bike weight is 30kg.

The price that Thule show is £550, but Halfords have them at £495, and if you go for click and collect to your local branch, you should get 10% off, therefore £445.50

Depending upon the weight of your three eBikes, you may feel that one of the above options is the one for you.
Thanks very much for that

AlwaysOff

Patreon
Oct 22, 2018
Rame Peninsula, Cornwall
I've spent way too much time looking into this but just pulled the plug and ordered one of these to go on the back of my Transporter.
Will easily handle 2 ebikes but the reason I went for it instead of the Thule 925 was I like how the Buzzrack has got a metal cage around the lights, being completely accident prone I could see me breaking the plastic on the Thule.

BUZZ RACK Scorpion 2 bike folding wheel support rack BRP602.

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
I've spent way too much time looking into this but just pulled the plug and ordered one of these to go on the back of my Transporter.
Will easily handle 2 ebikes but the reason I went for it instead of the Thule 925 was I like how the Buzzrack has got a metal cage around the lights, being completely accident prone I could see me breaking the plastic on the Thule.

BUZZ RACK Scorpion 2 bike folding wheel support rack BRP602.
looks very good thank you

AlwaysOff

Patreon
Oct 22, 2018
Rame Peninsula, Cornwall
Used my Buzz Rack for the first time today, great bit of kit very easy to mount onto the tow bar, load the bike and looked secure when driving.
I don’t doubt the Thule racks would be any different though as they also have a great reputation.
I converted my van into a camper a few months ago so the money spent is completely worth it to me.

54835008-DE77-4585-8B30-2A4CA0FBB8D1.jpeg

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
Used my Buzz Rack for the first time today, great bit of kit very easy to mount onto the tow bar, load the bike and looked secure when driving.
I don’t doubt the Thule racks would be any different though as they also have a great reputation.
I converted my van into a camper a few months ago so the money spent is completely worth it to me.

View attachment 8376
Looks very secure will you let me know how you get on with it over the next few weeks

Pottsy

Founding Member
Feb 12, 2018
Northern Ireland
Looks very secure will you let me know how you get on with it over the next few weeks
I have had this Buzzrack for 9 months. It's a good piece of kit. Very secure fit. Best of all it folds up for storage. It has locks on tow bar and on frame clamps. Ok at keeping opportunist thief at bay but not a determined bastard.
TIP. You need to buy the extra long wheel straps for the plus size tyres.
It's better than my Thule tow bar rack
So I sold it.
Pottsy

Rawry

Nov 27, 2018
Cleveland
I have had this Buzzrack for 9 months. It's a good piece of kit. Very secure fit. Best of all it folds up for storage. It has locks on tow bar and on frame clamps. Ok at keeping opportunist thief at bay but not a determined bastard.
TIP. You need to buy the extra long wheel straps for the plus size tyres.
It's better than my Thule tow bar rack
So I sold it.
Pottsy
You sold the Thule or the Buzzrack

DAZ1925

Nov 7, 2018
UK
I have the Thule Velo compact 3 bike carrier and I regularly carry 2 bikes on that (Jam2 and Sam2) one on the innermost tray (shortest arm) ant the other bike is on the outermost (longest arm) just to keep the frames/fork apart from each other as the clearance isn't great otherwise. I have had three bikes on there in the past but you need to place protection between the bikes if you don't like them rubbing and I'm not sure how it would cope with the newer boost standards with three bikes on.

Its a great bit of kit and I really like the fact the arms at removable so it makes loading bikes easier, one thing to bear in mind. On one of my trips a careless VW driver cut a corner and despite me swerving to avoid him he caught the front wheel of my bike, no damage to the wheel, bike or carrier, it just twisted on the tow bar.

Ron

Patreon
Sep 27, 2018
Campbell, CA USA
I went with the Kuat nv 2.0 - it handles my 2019 Levo and my wife’s Focus Jam 2 - easy to load and unload has built-in cable locks, I love that I only need to lift the bikes about 20” off the ground to get them on the rack. Folds away with or without bikes for easy access to the back of my SUV. Folds up when not in use so my back-up camera is not blocked. Very happy with this rack

4F3230B0-5625-42F5-9ADE-E64CD7573DA2.jpeg

C7A5F3FC-4F9A-4F7F-B304-017ADA4830B6.jpeg

173A9B69-ADC1-440F-9F2C-49349E41B03B.jpeg

kane

May 16, 2018
Brechin, Scotland
Hi mate, Do you cover your bike when it’s pissing rain and on the Buzzrack? I was thinking about this earlier. I think maybe I might cover the computer readout and shifter with a poly bag to stop rain damaging it . It looks a solid bit of kit and it will be my choice when I buy one .

View attachment 8376

AlwaysOff

Patreon
Oct 22, 2018
Rame Peninsula, Cornwall
Hi mate, Do you cover your bike when it’s pissing rain and on the Buzzrack? I was thinking about this earlier. I think maybe I might cover the computer readout and shifter with a poly bag to stop rain damaging it . It looks a solid bit of kit and it will be my choice when I buy one .
Well I haven't actually used it when its been really bad just a couple light showers so I haven't done anything just loaded the bike up as normal. I'II probably do what you say and cover the display if I ever use it when its bad though.

Like I said before I can't compare Buzzracks to Thule but I wish I got one sooner, its just so easy to use and less hassle than putting it in the van.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK

And not just the electrickery. The very first time I used my tow bar rack, I believe that some oily muck got onto the discs. Once I started riding they were squealing awfully. Never had that before and I've had that bike two years and ride all year round.
Once home, I cleaned off the discs with Iso Propyl Alcohol and cleaned up the pads. Next time out I took the bike in the back of the car. The trail was just as wet, but no squealing brakes.
Thinking of using sandwich bags to cover the disc and caliper area next time I use the rack.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles