Tow ball bike rack

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
Just waiting for mine to arrive! Also from roofbox. It's an extra 50 quid for shipping to Hamburg, but even with that, they're still cheaper than closer options.
Wow! That is dear. They did have an option for a customer returned one. Did you see that? Might be an option for you to save a bit if not too late.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Wow! That is dear. They did have an option for a customer returned one. Did you see that? Might be an option for you to save a bit if not too late.
Nah, I'm still happy with the price. It's still EUR 160 cheaper than the dealer in Belgium that buzzrack suggested, even with the deliver costs. In any case, it's already in the UPS delivery van wending its way through Hamburg

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
Nah, I'm still happy with the price. It's still EUR 160 cheaper than the dealer in Belgium that buzzrack suggested, even with the deliver costs. In any case, it's already in the UPS delivery van wending its way through Hamburg
Nice one. Hope they are as good as all the advice says ?

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
I went for the Thule Easyfold XT2 to put my Spesh Levo on. Really nice bit of kit which ticks some of the boxes like it folds down into a compact shape to lob into the back of the motor.
Unfortunately there seems to be a gap in the market for a tow ball bike carrier that can do the following;
1. Compacts down
2. Has the capacity to carry heavier eBikes
3. Has the distance between bikes
4. Has the wheel base for 135cm +
5. Has tilt to allow a tail gate to open
6. The hitch high that doesn’t foul the tailgate (Ford Transit Custom)
7. Has the distance away from a vertical tailgate so handle bars don’t touch/rub against paintwork
8. Can clamp awkward shaped bikes i.e thicker down tubes or ones that aren’t vertical or horizontal

The Thule struggles with 4, 5, 6, 7 (on the first bike slot) and 8 (managed it but wouldn’t trust) On a Ford Custom.

A mate of mine who has the same van is trying out the Atera Strada DL3 but it’s not for eBikes although if you were to load just 2 bikes you’d be on the cusp of designed spec.
Anyhow, it’s a mine field!

Thule Velospace XT meets all above criteria, except not folding down, but folds flat and takes little space next to wall in my shed. No problem fitting a Levo and Kenevo. In fact I haven’t one across a bike that doesn’t fit as to security of ball hitch, I can stand on the rack and it won’t budge. In short, it does the job brilliantly.

View attachment 44409

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
Hey all. So I’ve got my Scorpion 2 rack, lovely bit of kit..... but..... I can rotate it from side to side on the tow ball. My old Thule literally drops on, no rotational movement.
move checked the depth and I can only see the little feet of the clamp, none of the body. I’ve tried it with the handle in the up position and the down position and it seems to make no difference. Does anyone have experience of what’s going on here at all and what I must be doing wrong?
Cheers.

Bagofsand

Sep 12, 2020
East Yorkshire
Hey all. So I’ve got my Scorpion 2 rack, lovely bit of kit..... but..... I can rotate it from side to side on the tow ball. My old Thule literally drops on, no rotational movement.
move checked the depth and I can only see the little feet of the clamp, none of the body. I’ve tried it with the handle in the up position and the down position and it seems to make no difference. Does anyone have experience of what’s going on here at all and what I must be doing wrong?
Cheers.
I had the same problem. The handle pulls back off the nut so you can wind it up tight.
Video show it

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
Hi all
Just thought I’d add my view on the Scorpn now I’ve had it a few months.
Pro’s:
fits e-bike x 2.
Seems sturdy
Can wheel the bike on easy enough
Nice straps and clamps
Goes on car easily enough
Cheap compared to Thule
Cons:
Middle post that has the clamps on doesn’t slide up and down freely now that it’s been used once or twice. Takes all my strength and some banging and bashing to push it down into stores position, so much so that I don’t bother. The platform for wheels does move perfectly fine though.
No matter how tight I tighten the bolt onto the tow ball, by the end of a journey the rack has moved rotationally, I am actually tightening this by standing on the handle and it still moves. I have a feeling the handle will break soon with the pressure I am having to put through it.
Cable runs for the car connector needed to be strategically routed and held in place permanently to prevent cutting the cable when closing the rack up. I actually have a cut in the cable now as a result of this and I was being careful!

in summary, decent but has its faults. I can’t say “go buy a Thule” because the one I used to have was smaller and didn’t carry a 25kg bike, but just bear this in mind when looking. By the way, I’m not hammering the car round bends for this to happen, I drive even slower now to try and prevent it and can’t. What’s everyone else’s thoughts on this?

Last edited:

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I agree with all of the above! In the end the decision was because it's the only rack that can hold the Levo XL comfortably

I had the same issues with mine. I'm also not keen on the clamping method. My old Uebler and the current Thules seem to have a better system. Having said that, here's my experience:
  • The middle post was an absolute shit to move up an down. There's a bolt on one side of the grey clamp which I loosened just a tad and it works much better now
  • I found that if I screw the first clamp on the ball much tighter, then the spanner thing works better to stop it all rotating.
  • Once I get it removed, there's the silver-coloured bits hanging down from the ball clamp, which drag along the floor if you wheel it. They are difficult to pull back up into the ball clamp as they have nothing to push against when you screw the clamp, so I rest them on my foot, then screw them in. Works a treat.
  • My only remaining annoyance is that the number plate is an absolute sod to pop off

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
I agree with all of the above! In the end the decision was because it's the only rack that can hold the Levo XL comfortably

I had the same issues with mine. I'm also not keen on the clamping method. My old Uebler and the current Thules seem to have a better system. Having said that, here's my experience:
  • The middle post was an absolute shit to move up an down. There's a bolt on one side of the grey clamp which I loosened just a tad and it works much better now
  • I found that if I screw the first clamp on the ball much tighter, then the spanner thing works better to stop it all rotating.
  • Once I get it removed, there's the silver-coloured bits hanging down from the ball clamp, which drag along the floor if you wheel it. They are difficult to pull back up into the ball clamp as they have nothing to push against when you screw the clamp, so I rest them on my foot, then screw them in. Works a treat.
  • My only remaining annoyance is that the number plate is an absolute sod to pop off
Ditto on the number plate! It’s been so long since I took it off I forgot to mention it.
In short, it will do me, it’s not aweful but could be better.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
As it's clear that I'm not alone with the issues and they are therefore likely design/production related, not just a one-off, I forwarded the link to this post to Buzzrack. Let's see if they come back to me!

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
As it's clear that I'm not alone with the issues and they are therefore likely design/production related, not just a one-off, I forwarded the link to this post to Buzzrack. Let's see if they come back to me!
Good idea. I for one would do more research and see if it’s worth forming out the extra for another brand, but, maybe this is just what you get at this price point?

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
I've got the 1 and rate it.

I have had it once where it wouldn't secure properly and was movement despite how hard i tightened with the lever. it was clear the clamp hadn't fully engaged.

there's definitely a second bite point needed which only clamps on if the rack is fully dropped onto the tow ball if that makes sense. It's easy for this not to be aligned although normally goes on fine.

I'd say if you are standing on the lever there is either a problem with your rack or its not been dropped on and aligned onto the ball correctly.

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
I've got the 1 and rate it.

I have had it once where it wouldn't secure properly and was movement despite how hard i tightened with the lever. it was clear the clamp hadn't fully engaged.

there's definitely a second bite point needed which only clamps on if the rack is fully dropped onto the tow ball if that makes sense. It's easy for this not to be aligned although normally goes on fine.

I'd say if you are standing on the lever there is either a problem with your rack or its not been dropped on and aligned onto the ball correctly.
Thanks for the feedback. I will double check at the weekend when I next use it. I’m half sure it is going on properly because there is a satisfying drop when the silver clamp bits slip on. I’ll try give it a bit of a wiggle next time and feed back but I have to say that on the several occasions j have used it it has always moved. Each time it’s gone on it’s been different so I’d guess that at least one of those times went on properly. It’s a pain but I’m willing to try pay more attention to it and see if I can get it to sit home on the ball in a different way. ?

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent
Thanks for the feedback. I will double check at the weekend when I next use it. I’m half sure it is going on properly because there is a satisfying drop when the silver clamp bits slip on. I’ll try give it a bit of a wiggle next time and feed back but I have to say that on the several occasions j have used it it has always moved. Each time it’s gone on it’s been different so I’d guess that at least one of those times went on properly. It’s a pain but I’m willing to try pay more attention to it and see if I can get it to sit home on the ball in a different way. ?

I thought the same, but if the jaws aren't quite wide enough or spread evenly i think it can tighten up slightly off line.

Now I know i can feel it if its done it so give it a wiggle and it should slip on properly. '

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
I’m due for a car change in the next few months, definitely going for a tow bar mounted rack. Currently use the Thule clip on with zero issue but want something more secure where I don’t hang the bike and would much rather a more secure rack.

The scorpion is definitely the direction I’m looking at but currently no stock ?

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I received a reply from Buzzrack, which they kindly allowed me to share here:

Thank you for contacting BUZZRACK and your heartfelt comment based on user experiences. We see there are three major points of feedback that we’d like to respond to you too, hope you don’t mind if we miss something.

• Mounting system problems over the tow ball that cause the rack swiveling.
    • Need to loosen the side lever bolt first and then the locking knob at the top of the silver four-piece clamps, this way will let the four-piece clamps full dropped, making it easier to fit over towballs as secure as possible without making any of the silver part visible and then the side spanner fastening.
    • Also, when you tighten the locking knob, you can try to shake the rack at the same time, this will help to reduce any possible play inside the black conical housing where the silver clamps situated. And next after you screw the side bolt by using the built-in spanner, the rack will be very stable without swiveling. That the rack is properly mounted at the stage.
  • Vertical frame holding arm isn’t ideally adjustable, it’s too tight.
    • In order to have the verticalframe holding arm ideally in position without loosening while driving after continued vibration, it is a bit tight and sometimes may be over-tight out of the box that affects experiences. Because the lever for adjusting the arm is in connection with the cover which covers the lever, they are linked. If the over tightness experience occurs, you can loosen the bolts a bit to solve the problem.
    • If the future, we will be rectifying problem by replacing the lever with a knob so that tightness is determined by the knob, depending on preference.
  • If the cabling isn’t ideally in position that a damage scenario may awkwardly occur or occurred.
    • We will come up with ways to modify the awkwardness allocation to have more room to organize or fix the cabling.
In the coming future, we will also be rolling out a new offering, E-Scorpion Fat bike which will be more considerate for Fat tire e-bikes first, and with aforementioned issues rectified of course.

Thank you again Tim for your sharing and feedback, and please thank the members of the forums for us. All of your continuous support.

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
I received a reply from Buzzrack, which they kindly allowed me to share here:

Thank you for contacting BUZZRACK and your heartfelt comment based on user experiences. We see there are three major points of feedback that we’d like to respond to you too, hope you don’t mind if we miss something.

• Mounting system problems over the tow ball that cause the rack swiveling.
    • Need to loosen the side lever bolt first and then the locking knob at the top of the silver four-piece clamps, this way will let the four-piece clamps full dropped, making it easier to fit over towballs as secure as possible without making any of the silver part visible and then the side spanner fastening.
    • Also, when you tighten the locking knob, you can try to shake the rack at the same time, this will help to reduce any possible play inside the black conical housing where the silver clamps situated. And next after you screw the side bolt by using the built-in spanner, the rack will be very stable without swiveling. That the rack is properly mounted at the stage.
  • Vertical frame holding arm isn’t ideally adjustable, it’s too tight.
    • In order to have the verticalframe holding arm ideally in position without loosening while driving after continued vibration, it is a bit tight and sometimes may be over-tight out of the box that affects experiences. Because the lever for adjusting the arm is in connection with the cover which covers the lever, they are linked. If the over tightness experience occurs, you can loosen the bolts a bit to solve the problem.
    • If the future, we will be rectifying problem by replacing the lever with a knob so that tightness is determined by the knob, depending on preference.
  • If the cabling isn’t ideally in position that a damage scenario may awkwardly occur or occurred.
    • We will come up with ways to modify the awkwardness allocation to have more room to organize or fix the cabling.
In the coming future, we will also be rolling out a new offering, E-Scorpion Fat bike which will be more considerate for Fat tire e-bikes first, and with aforementioned issues rectified of course.

Thank you again Tim for your sharing and feedback, and please thank the members of the forums for us. All of your continuous support.
Thanks for sharing, it’s good that they came back.
May take away from this is:
1: they are saying that the rack is being put on the tow ball either wrong or not ideally. I’m pretty sure it is not but at the weekend I will double check and see how I go.
2: the arm... they admit it is wrong, I’ll try to loosen the screws they are talking about. It will definitely be better with a knob, the lever in itself is a nightmare to pull up without hitting your hand on something.
3: the cabling, they acknowledge this is a problem too.
thanks for sharing this. I’ll have a good go this weekend at sorting the swivel then reply back with my personal final view on this carrier ? hopefully it is positive! ?

The EMF

🔱 Aquaman 🔱
Subscriber
Nov 4, 2020
South East Northumberland
I carry my Whyte E150 on a Thule Velocompact 2........I originally baulked at the price but this is the second one I’ve bought and is much improved on my last one. This is much lighter and easier to use and stow. It takes seconds to mount on the tow ball and never had any movement issues. The light clusters and wheel securing pads slide inwardly so that it can be chucked in the back of the car. It’s also light enough to lift above head hieght to hang on the wall. All in all I’m very pleased with it.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
I've been using an Atera Strada M3 for about three years. The mount onto the towball is super easy and I've never had it move. It's so quick that I'll take the rack off and throw it in the boot when I park up for a ride.

I bought the longer wheel straps for two slots as I used to have a plus bike. I've also replaced the longest arm with a Thule arm as they are detachable at both ends, which makes it easier to pick up a friend (or did, when that sort of thing was allowed.

Seems incredibly secure, rated to take e-bikes, and while I also strap a brake lever to stop movement, I'm overall really, really happy with it.

kaj0103

Oct 23, 2020
Maidstone
Thanks for sharing, it’s good that they came back.
May take away from this is:
1: they are saying that the rack is being put on the tow ball either wrong or not ideally. I’m pretty sure it is not but at the weekend I will double check and see how I go.
2: the arm... they admit it is wrong, I’ll try to loosen the screws they are talking about. It will definitely be better with a knob, the lever in itself is a nightmare to pull up without hitting your hand on something.
3: the cabling, they acknowledge this is a problem too.
thanks for sharing this. I’ll have a good go this weekend at sorting the swivel then reply back with my personal final view on this carrier ? hopefully it is positive! ?
OK. So I took the bike out on the carrier today. I did a lot more wiggling and moving around of the rack as i put it on. I did it up as tight as I could by hand, drove to get petrol (about 4 slow corners) and the rack was moved easily. Used my foot to tighten it some more and it was improved from usual but still not brilliant. I’ll admit that the extra care over mounting has improved the issue but I still needed to use some foot pressure to improve it.
My personal verdict is that for a cheaper rack (than Thule!) it is ok, but I’d probably look around and see how much better the Thule is (if at all) and and consider the cost vs the benefit. It’s not aweful but there’s a definite room for improvement in the mounting on the tow ball. I wouldn’t not buy it, but I would do a comparison with others.

Paul Mac

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Subscriber
Jul 9, 2018
Uk
OK. So I took the bike out on the carrier today. I did a lot more wiggling and moving around of the rack as i put it on. I did it up as tight as I could by hand, drove to get petrol (about 4 slow corners) and the rack was moved easily. Used my foot to tighten it some more and it was improved from usual but still not brilliant. I’ll admit that the extra care over mounting has improved the issue but I still needed to use some foot pressure to improve it.
My personal verdict is that for a cheaper rack (than Thule!) it is ok, but I’d probably look around and see how much better the Thule is (if at all) and and consider the cost vs the benefit. It’s not aweful but there’s a definite room for improvement in the mounting on the tow ball. I wouldn’t not buy it, but I would do a comparison with others.
Is there a chance you have a non standard tow ball size?
I have the buzz rack scorpion and it secures tight with ease. I only have to push the lever down with light hand pressure?
My rack has never moved and I can't twist it manually.

Jimbo Vills

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 15, 2020
Kent

Have you got the right tow ball on? There’s two types

Sounds like something seriously wrong to be honest mate.

Edit - Paul beat me to it ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles