Tow ball bike rack

TwoTokens

Mar 6, 2024
Hampshire
I recently picked up a used Thule EuroClassic 929 G6 (3+1). These can be had for a very reasonable price in the UK now. (Its the predecessor to the VeloSpace XT3).

Easily supports my XL Cube Stereo 29er with the addition of Thule's fatbike straps.

Standard 60kg load limit, 25kg per bike, 1370mm width and all the features you come to expect with Thules racks.

Handy bonus that it comes with a 4th row accessory rail, rated to 15kg. No use for eBikes, but great for getting all 4 family bikes on.

The main limiting factor is the rail spacing, at 190mm it requires staggering eBikes off centre due to the boost axle width if you want to squeeze 3 bikes on. Works fantasticly for just two eBikes in the 1st & 3rd rows.

Would love a EPOS with the 250mm spacing, but that would cost 5 times what I paid for this...

Photo of it with 3 bikes, both E and acoustic

20240306_120552.jpg

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Hitch rack will be more secure and quicker to install/remove than a tow ball rack. I use a single 1-Up for all my bikes including my Levo. I have a double Thule that I use for fat bikes and when I need to carry my wife's bike.

TwoTokens

Mar 6, 2024
Hampshire
Hitch rack will be more secure and quicker to install/remove than a tow ball rack. I use a single 1-Up for all my bikes including my Levo. I have a double Thule that I use for fat bikes and when I need to carry my wife's bike.
Hitch as in 1.25" & 2" square reciever style?

I agree that these are great, much more versatile than a standalone swan neck tow ball. Sadly very hard to find/spec on cars in the EU! I understand that they're the norm in the US?

George_KSL

Sep 11, 2021
Slovak Republic
I think most people from US are unaware their 1UP-style racks are mostly illegal in EU&UK. They could be re-engineered to add lights and plate, in fact you can do such modifications yourself, even install US square hitch but you will find it used against you in accident by insurance since the thing wasn't homologized for domestic market in first place.

So we are stuck with like 7th expensive attempt by Thule (Epos). Finally decent but my god the price.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
I think most people from US are unaware their 1UP-style racks are mostly illegal in EU&UK. They could be re-engineered to add lights and plate, in fact you can do such modifications yourself, even install US square hitch but you will find it used against you in accident by insurance since the thing wasn't homologized for domestic market in first place.

So we are stuck with like 7th expensive attempt by Thule (Epos). Finally decent but my god the price.
There are plenty of very affordable kits to add lights/plate to 1up racks. It's still a good thing to do in the US as well!

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Hitch as in 1.25" & 2" square reciever style?

I agree that these are great, much more versatile than a standalone swan neck tow ball. Sadly very hard to find/spec on cars in the EU! I understand that they're the norm in the US?

Yes, mostly. And the racks usually come with an anti-rattle and security device so that they're very safe and secure with the weight of an eMTB (or 2 of them).

IntenseScotia

Feb 6, 2024
Scotland
I use a Buzzrack E-Scorpion XL and it's solid. No movement at speeds well over the advised 🙄

Holds my Tazer solid and has no issues at all so far and I've done about 3-4k with it so far

1000056569.jpg

Folds up and fits in the boot when not in use

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles