Touring with a Spectral: on

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
I'm trying to find a happy balance between MTB trail riding in the hills of the Black Forest in Germany, countryside touring on pavement and gravel, and pulling a child wagon (with a kid that keeps getting heavier), so that I can accomplish all three with just one e-bike.

The videos I've seen so far demonstrate the Spectral: on is a good fit for trail riding in the hills here in the Black Forest. But I'm wondering if anyone has tried just touring on fire roads and pavement with a Spectral: on, perhaps switched up the tires to make it more touring friendly, and has info they can share about their experience?

Last edited:

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
I have similar needs right now too.

Based on my own research (and experience with my current eMTB), the main question is how are you towing your child? Right now I am using a Follow Me. This requires my bike to have a QR rear hub, non-boost, and the tire clearance limits me to 2.4" tires. Also, pretty sure it wouldn't work with full-sus.

Most other trailers I've looked at (for touring rather than kid-carrying) seem to need a QR rear hub at least, but connect to the side, so should have better clearance for boost/fat tires.

So, for a few more years at least, I'll be sticking with my hard-tail Cube Reaction Hybrid.

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
Commuting with my Neuron ON is very nice and smooth. Really relaxing.
Great to hear, thanks for sharing. I'd be more interested in a Neuron On than a Spectral On, if I was being honest, as I think it fits more of what I'm looking for--lower key trail riding and touring. But the value of the components of the Spectral seems much better for some reason. Maybe I should wait a year for a 12-speed Neuron On with coil shocks to appear.

This is unrelated, but, in the back of my mind is the horrifying customer service of Canyon--would it make more sense to buy a Commencal, as it seems like they have much better service than Canyon, despite the fact I live in Germany. After 3 years here I've come to realize there is no such thing as good customer service, and that makes pulling the trigger on a Canyon much more difficult.

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
I have similar needs right now too.

Based on my own research (and experience with my current eMTB), the main question is how are you towing your child? Right now I am using a Follow Me. This requires my bike to have a QR rear hub, non-boost, and the tire clearance limits me to 2.4" tires. Also, pretty sure it wouldn't work with full-sus.

Most other trailers I've looked at (for touring rather than kid-carrying) seem to need a QR rear hub at least, but connect to the side, so should have better clearance for boost/fat tires.

So, for a few more years at least, I'll be sticking with my hard-tail Cube Reaction Hybrid.

That's a good point, I had not considered future towing requirements, just what we use now, which is a Thule. As the kid gets bigger it makes sense to tow the kid and a bike. Thanks for sharing what you've found.

The side attachment of the Thule seems to work on most any hub, I think. Whether it damages a fulls suspension, I've generally read two opinions through my searching of random english and german mtb forums: those that haven't tried it, but insist that the lateral stresses of the wagon will damage suspension bar connections (I'm not sure what these are called); and those that have tried it, tow a wagon regularly with a fully, and generally report no issues at all.

pallie

Dec 19, 2018
netherlands
Great to hear, thanks for sharing. I'd be more interested in a Neuron On than a Spectral On, if I was being honest, as I think it fits more of what I'm looking for--lower key trail riding and touring. But the value of the components of the Spectral seems much better for some reason. Maybe I should wait a year for a 12-speed Neuron On with coil shocks to appear.

This is unrelated, but, in the back of my mind is the horrifying customer service of Canyon--would it make more sense to buy a Commencal, as it seems like they have much better service than Canyon, despite the fact I live in Germany. After 3 years here I've come to realize there is no such thing as good customer service, and that makes pulling the trigger on a Canyon much more difficult.

I'd found the customer service just very good! Very helpful.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles