Total weight limit.

sheepsmuggler

Aug 6, 2020
Wales
I've tried looking everywhere over the Internet. Multiple forums and websites even sent an email to Vitus (been 4 days). Do any of you know what the weight limit on a e-sommet vrs is? Been looking to buy one but my weight is unfortunately a factor. Thanks.

RocketMagnet

Dec 16, 2018
UK
I had a look and I can't find anything either specifically for the Vitus... though I did see what I assume is your question on Wiggle.
I found some general weights which are in the range of 21 St (136Kg, ~300 Lbs).. It doesn't differentiate between Full Suspension or Hardtail though and I'd expect a higher limit on HT.

Ultimately the rear shock will be a limiter due to the maximum air pressure you can pump it up.. so checking the Giant bikes who have bikes with the same linkage design (Anthem) then they do list 305 Lbs so probably your ok up to 140Kg in your riding kit. I found this below...

Giant Size Guide | Tredz Bikes

You'll also need to buy a shock pump to set the rear and front Sags.

I think there is some common sense on how/what you ride also if your riding at the weight limit of a bike.

Brief Video here discussing bikes and weight options.

Last edited:

sheepsmuggler

Aug 6, 2020
Wales
Thanks for your reply lots of information there. I'm about 280 fully kitted mostly doing blues and red trails in South Wales with a once a month trip to Bike Park Wales. Guess Itll be okay just have to stay away from blacks and jumplines till I lose some more weight.

Jun 16, 2019
Northants
Wouldn't worry about that dude... I've been heavy most of my life(you're a lightweight in comparison)
I've always searched for bikes based on the rear shock leverage ratio.. Ie lower the better.
Start by checking out the rear travel and then finding the rear shock stroke and dividing the travel by the stroke.
Most bikes are/were between 2.7 and 3 (specialized are still bad for it)
The vitus from researching is 160mm travel from a shock stroke of 65mm which equates a ratio of 2.46/1, with a rockshox rear shock capable of 325psi it should be plenty enough for your medium size
Companies like mondraker/foes/whyte and vitus are better and more like 2.5 and below.
The lower you can get it, the easier it is for you to get the shock tuned if it needs it.
I've not had a bike yet that I'm under the max weight for and it's never caused me any issues... Your riding style makes much more difference... Try to be smoother over jump transitions and drops etc instead of riding like a sack of shit(in no way suggesting you do?) and you'll be fine?

Last edited:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've no idea where rocketmagnet got the idea a gaint trance has even a vaguely similar suspension design or recomended usage.
The Esommet used a 4 bar horst link design with a decent amount of progressiveness to it's leverage curve while the Anthem uses giants maestro design (basically a D-W link virtual pivot design) which is also mainly progressive in it's leverage curve but the overall ratio is lower (2.1). Meaning lower shock pressures will yeild firmer shock support than the Sommet.
The E sommet is also a long travel Enduro based Ebike built to take regular rough gravity based riding while the Anthem is a short travel non E XC/AM bike built for lightness. The two bikes are not comparable in the slightest.
The frame, fork and stock components, incl wheels/tyres on the esommet are easily upto surviving a 280lb Enduro rider.
The bike is kinda overkill for riding blue and red trails, but will be absolutely fine if that's what you want to ride on it.

as for whether the suspension can be set up correctly a 280lb rider. Yes it can.
The shock of the Esommet has 65mm stroke and the rear end yeilds 160mm travel
This gives an average leverage ratio of 2.46
Max pressure on the super deluxe shock is 325psi and the Lyrik 148psi
You'd probably be looking at running somewhere around 280psi in the shock and 110-120 in the fork

You didn't mention whether you were looking at the Fox or RS builds so I've only given aprox pressures for RS

[Ooops. hadn't seen Billy's post above, basically we're agreeing though)

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
I've no idea where rocketmagnet got the idea a gaint trance has even a vaguely similar suspension design or recomended usage.
The Esommet used a 4 bar horst link design with a decent amount of progressiveness to it's leverage curve while the Anthem uses giants maestro design (basically a D-W link virtual pivot design) which is also mainly progressive in it's leverage curve but the overall ratio is lower (2.1). Meaning lower shock pressures will yeild firmer shock support than the Sommet.
The E sommet is also a long travel Enduro based Ebike built to take regular rough gravity based riding while the Anthem is a short travel non E XC/AM bike built for lightness. The two bikes are not comparable in the slightest.
The frame, fork and stock components, incl wheels/tyres on the esommet are easily upto surviving a 280lb Enduro rider.
The bike is kinda overkill for riding blue and red trails, but will be absolutely fine if that's what you want to ride on it.

as for whether the suspension can be set up correctly a 280lb rider. Yes it can.
The shock of the Esommet has 65mm stroke and the rear end yeilds 160mm travel
This gives an average leverage ratio of 2.46
Max pressure on the super deluxe shock is 325psi and the Lyrik 148psi
You'd probably be looking at running somewhere around 280psi in the shock and 110-120 in the fork

You didn't mention whether you were looking at the Fox or RS builds so I've only given aprox pressures for RS

[Ooops. hadn't seen Billy's post above, basically we're agreeing though)
Are you at it again - posting facts?

sheepsmuggler

Aug 6, 2020
Wales
Thanks for all your replies been reassuring. I've ordered the VRS version with fox suspension. Also received a message off Vitus this morning saying the wheel set is the main limiter on their bikes not frame so make of that as you will.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles