Total newbie starting tomorrow

hiro

Jan 7, 2019
South Yorkshire
Hi all, never had an EMTB before, never even been mountain biking before, but at the age of 55 I'm getting my first one tomorrow.
Gave up motorcycling 4 yrs ago after a a nasty crunch which has left my arms and knees a bit below par and I've been sucked into the idea of this after one of Rob's videos came up on my Youtube recommendations and ended up totally addicted. Went from "No way would I spend more than £200 on a bike" to "£2300 you say, that seems very reasonable" after some try-outs.
Ended up going for a Haibike Fullseven LT 4.0 which arrives tomorrow, can't wait to get out on it, though unfortunately it may be a short one as I twisted my back yesterday and can't bend too well.

Looking forward to learning how to ride properly and learning from all the very knowledgeable folks on here (y)

alexis

Founding Member
Jan 26, 2018
Cyprus
Welcome to the forum and to the "Oldies Club" - I'm 59 and I am expecting my first e-bike (Trek Powerfly FS7 Plus) to arrive in the next 2 weeks here in Cyprus - Just like you, I can't wait!

Couchy

Nov 15, 2018
Nottingham
Welcome, I started my emtb adventure at 50 after riding and racing motorbike a lot of my life, gotta admit on a fast downhill the buzz is as good as a motorbike in a race track. Take your time and build up slowly they are great fun ?

hiro

Jan 7, 2019
South Yorkshire
Thanks guys, and I will start slowly. As I’m pretty much on the border of Lincolnshire anywhere within pedalling range is pretty flat so I’ll be having plenty of practice on rough but level farm tracks and bridleways before going near a slope.
I love Cyprus Alexis, be a great place to get out on an ebike!

Right, I’m dosed up with paracetamol and rubbed in nurofen gel and can stand up straight now, just hope it arrives before dark.

hiro

Jan 7, 2019
South Yorkshire
Well it arrived this afternoon and there was just time to get the battery charged and get out round the local farm tracks for an hour before it started getting dark
IMG_6090.jpeg

I've got all the lever, bar and seat positions ok now but in the tradition of DIY furniture I've got a few bits left over.
IMG_0981.jpeg

These bits were tucked in with the manuals. I'm assuming the clear stickers are for protection of the frame, but there's no guidance of where to put them. As well as those two black clip things, there's what looks like a small blacl plastic grommet. Also stuck to one of the manuals was a little coin cell battery in a plastic bag but I can't find out what that would be for? Can anyone enlighten me please?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
The plastic bits are to insert between the disc pads if your transporting with the wheels removed . Never seen them used but could be useful one day .
The clear plastic stickers are to use as protectors where cables etc may rub the paintwork . Usually around the steering area and moving parts of the suspension , just stick them where you feel or see things are rubbing . The long ones are probably intended for the chainstays to protect from chain slap
Not sure about the round plastic thing as I cant see it fully in the photo , could be a handlebar end bung check they are both in the bar ends .
Enjoy your riding looks like a nice bike

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My first ride out on my new emtb was today. I spent some time getting the suspension set up properly, (sag, rebound, compression) and tyre pressures. Then adjusted them all again once I'd been going half an hour or so, then again after another half an hour. I'm happy now. :)

@hiro: If you haven't spent any time doing the same, then you probably will not be getting the best from your bike.

hiro

Jan 7, 2019
South Yorkshire
The plastic bits are to insert between the disc pads if your transporting with the wheels removed . Never seen them used but could be useful one day .
The clear plastic stickers are to use as protectors where cables etc may rub the paintwork . Usually around the steering area and moving parts of the suspension , just stick them where you feel or see things are rubbing . The long ones are probably intended for the chainstays to protect from chain slap
Not sure about the round plastic thing as I cant see it fully in the photo , could be a handlebar end bung check they are both in the bar ends .
Enjoy your riding looks like a nice bike
Thanks, I'll get those stuck on soon while it's still box fresh (ish)

hiro

Jan 7, 2019
South Yorkshire
My first ride out on my new emtb was today. I spent some time getting the suspension set up properly, (sag, rebound, compression) and tyre pressures. Then adjusted them all again once I'd been going half an hour or so, then again after another half an hour. I'm happy now. :)

@hiro: If you haven't spent any time doing the same, then you probably will not be getting the best from your bike.
Thanks, I'll do some research on what to do and how to do it. I'm a complete novice so I don't really know what things should feel like at the moment so it's going to take some experimenting.

Northumbrian

Sep 3, 2018
Rothbury
The black plastic parts ( as Kernow rightly said) can be used for transportation, but they can also be used when bleeding the brakes, taking he pads out , plastic bits in there place, when bled like this it gives you the correct lever position when pads are replaced,,, ( check tho that this is the case with your brake type!)

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
They are useful the brake pad spacers, remember when/if you take the wheels out for transport or maintenance, not to squeeze the brake levers without the disc in place, because it can bugger up the alignment - putting the tabs in prevents this.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
l hope the O/P is still enjoying his ebike. He's not been back on the forum since posting this in 2019

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles