Torn Between Two E Bikes

Jb123

Jun 17, 2019
Ascot
Hello There

i am currently in the process of deciding on an E-Bike i currently ride a Nomad V4, the two bikes i am torn between are:

Specialized Kenevo Expert ( Berkshire Cycles is close to me)

Commencal Meta Power race 2018 Fox edition (rode one yesterday and really liked it)

i have also looked at the YT Decoy CF Pro Race but due to the model i would want it would be mid summer before i could get my hands on one due to stock levels, the one thing that does lean me towards the Kenevo is the warranty on it i have heard that if you have a problem you can just take it to Berkshire cycles and they will fix it whilst you wait, i am not really into 29ers as i am only 5 foot 9 and have always ridden 27.5, please share your thoughts on the two above bikes :)

Regards
Jordan

Andy A

Patreon
Jan 13, 2019
North Yorkshire
I would go for the Kenevo as I love those bikes also I drove the 480 mile round trip twice to buy two Levo's from Chris and you will have the peace of mind if anything goes wrong he will sort it out for you.

This is only my opinion but I recently owned a 2019 Jam2 and it was a superb bike but I did find the Shimano motor fairly noisy, but the Brose motor on the Levo is so quiet and has plenty of power and the Specialized just feels so much nicer to ride, but any of those bikes will be great bikes I suppose it depends on the best deal you are being offered :)

Jedipip

Jul 29, 2018
Yorkshire
If you are close to Chris at Berkshire (his catchment area being ‘the UK’) then get a bike from him. He’s clearly the e-bike Jedi master.

If he can warranty work on my Decoy I’d Drive to him......?

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
The Kenevo is a tank. An awesome tank, but still a tank. It's due for replacement, possibly very soon. Unless you need a 180mm DH weapon I'd be looking at the Levo instead; it's lighter and more agile.

The Decoy in Pro spec was awesome and if I could afford to spend £6K on a bicycle I would have ordered one there and then.

The Commencal is very highly regarded by the folks on here that own one.

Interpaul

Jun 18, 2018
Edinburgh
Hello There

Commencal Meta Power race 2018 Fox edition (rode one yesterday and really liked it)

as i am only 5 foot 9 and have always ridden 27.5, please share your thoughts on the two above bikes :)

The 2018 Commencal has 27.5 wheels, I just bought one in XL and it is a really sweet looking and well specced bike. I also have a Devinci ACXT and the Commencal does feel more like a regular MTB in comparison and is a bit lighter.

All the bikes are good, whatever you buy, you will like.

Jb123

Jun 17, 2019
Ascot
The Kenevo is a tank. An awesome tank, but still a tank. It's due for replacement, possibly very soon. Unless you need a 180mm DH weapon I'd be looking at the Levo instead; it's lighter and more agile.

The Decoy in Pro spec was awesome and if I could afford to spend £6K on a bicycle I would have ordered one there and then.

The Commencal is very highly regarded by the folks on here that own one.

To be honest I was looking at a spec comparison really towards to Kenevo as for the money you get a better spec as apposed to the nearest model levo which I believe is another £499 more

Jb123

Jun 17, 2019
Ascot
The 2018 Commencal has 27.5 wheels, I just bought one in XL and it is a really sweet looking and well specced bike. I also have a Devinci ACXT and the Commencal does feel more like a regular MTB in comparison and is a bit lighter.

All the bikes are good, whatever you buy, you will like.

I have ridden a couple of Kenevos and yeah the Commy does feel more like a regular bike

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Picked up a Commencal Meta Power 29 Signature. You can’t beat it for value, the spec is so good for the price. Plus it’s an absolute charger, reasonably playful, loves a jump and feels just like a conventional MTB. Reliability was also key for me and the Commencal/E8000 combination seems fairly bulletproof.

There’s not a bad bike out of the ones you’ve listed so you can’t really go wrong.

Last edited:

Jb123

Jun 17, 2019
Ascot
Picked up a Commencal Meta Power 29 Signature. You can’t beat it for value, the spec is so good for the price. Plus it’s an absolute charger, reasonably playful, loves a jump and feel just like a conventional MTB. Reliability was also key for me and the Commencal/E8000 combination seems fairly bulletproof.

There’s not a bad bike out of the ones you’ve listed so you can’t really go wrong.
I think reliability is key for me also I have had a couple direct sale bikes and when ever there is an issue it has to go back to Europe then I was without a bike that is my only worry, and I have never really been into the 29er thing but then a lot of people go 29 and don’t look back

Jb123

Jun 17, 2019
Ascot
I would go for the Kenevo as I love those bikes also I drove the 480 mile round trip twice to buy two Levo's from Chris and you will have the peace of mind if anything goes wrong he will sort it out for you.

This is only my opinion but I recently owned a 2019 Jam2 and it was a superb bike but I did find the Shimano motor fairly noisy, but the Brose motor on the Levo is so quiet and has plenty of power and the Specialized just feels so much nicer to ride, but any of those bikes will be great bikes I suppose it depends on the best deal you are being offered :)

How many hours do you get out of the battery and has yours been derestricted

Jb123

Jun 17, 2019
Ascot
How many hours do you get out of the battery and has yours been derestricted
The other thing is the 2020 version will be out late September/ October but then trying to get hold of one may be difficult then possibly resulting in no E bike for the summer

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
To be honest I was looking at a spec comparison really towards to Kenevo as for the money you get a better spec as apposed to the nearest model levo which I believe is another £499 more
Yeah, the Ken is better spec'd but they are quite different bikes. Is your riding more trail or DH/Enduro?

Jb123

Jun 17, 2019
Ascot
Yeah, the Ken is better spec'd but they are quite different bikes. Is your riding more trail or DH/Enduro?

I do ride a lot in the Surrey hills areas but then also love a bike park session with the boys that’s why I’m kind of thinking the Kenevo best of all worlds but then it also depends if I can get one before the stop making them as the new model will be out in a few months

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
I think reliability is key for me also I have had a couple direct sale bikes and when ever there is an issue it has to go back to Europe then I was without a bike that is my only worry, and I have never really been into the 29er thing but then a lot of people go 29 and don’t look back

There are a few shops in the UK who supply Commencal so you get the direct value but get to use a bike shop ?

Jamsxr

E*POWAH Master
Mar 30, 2019
Surrey
Ohhh I see, do you know if they offer a demo service

Unfortunately not, the shop I used was Bikeactive in Hertfordshire.

I’ve done 300km of after work and weekend riding this month on my Commencal. Safe to say, as it stands, it’s my best purchase ever!

Leeroy678

Apr 29, 2019
Ca11 8eq
I have the 2019 commencal meta power essential and it's a beast of a bike I love it. The spec for the money is fantastic.
20190525_160825.jpg

Swissrider

Nov 1, 2018
Switzerland
One thing you might consider are the motors. The Brose motor will “run on” for a couple of metres after you stop peddling. Some love this as you can briefly pause peddling to avoid a peddle strike and the bike will keep going, others hate it as they feel out of control. In a recent big comparison test by MBR, the Shimano motor was criticised because it cuts out the moment you stop peddling, although some would like this! Both shimano and Bosch motors have been criticised because of rattling going downhill so you need to decide it this bothers you. I ride a Kenevo and love it and like the natural feel and power of the Brose motor, but like too many others I’ve had to replace the motor. At least if it breaks again I can get it fixed whereas the Shimano motor can’t be fixed if it breaks after the guarantee has run out. Finally, you need to consider all the advantages (mainly price) of a shop bought bike against all the disadvantages of a direct sales bike. At least in theory, with a Shimano equipped bike you should be able to take it to any Shimano service centre if the motor is within guarantee.

Whitby Chris

Subscriber
Jul 13, 2021
Whitby
Honestly mate, go for the bike you prefer, there will always be a difference of opinion, I ride a Whyte were some of my friends ride different brands. It all comes down to in the end which one you like the most, both are great bikes and brands. Purely comes down in the end to what ou want.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles