Top tube decal cracking

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Has anyone had issues with the imbedded decal on the top tube, carbon 9frame. No chemicals were ever used on this bike that I know of. And only the black decal is cracked like a puzzle. The blue decal is not cracked at all.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Didn't have this when I posted and meant to follow up with a pic. It's a 2018 Jam2 C.

IMG_4858.JPG

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Oh, I see what you mean now. In my opinion, that is deffo a manufacturing fault that should be covered by warranty. As far as I am aware there is a protective finish on top of that jazzy pattern, so whatever you use to the clean the bike will have had no effect. Take it back to where you bought it from.

But first think about want you want them to do to make you happy.

Is your position "Take back this pile of crap and give me a new one before I call Trading Standards!"
Or "Replace the frame asap!"
Or "What do you think this is, can you fix it, how long will it take? What can you give me to ride while you are fixing it?
Or "I can live with this, but I can't sell the bike like this, it has lost money, how are you going to compensate me?"
Or "This is not my fault, it is clearly a defect, what are you going to do about it?"

Or variations upon the above themes that you are comfortable with. You have to be comfortable with it or you will not sound convincing and will be deflected.

I guess it comes down to how much you are prepared to live with this fault, how much are you be prepared to be inconvenienced while they address the problem. And can you be bought off?

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Based on my rear wheel bearing issue, Focus America isn't going to do much of anything but I will contact the dealer anyway. He did try to get the wheel bearing assy on warranty but Focus didn't help out at all on that $72. part that I had to buy direct from China. I can probably live with it but will look around for solutions too.

Here is an updated pic after using some 303 Aerospace wiped on the frame. Said to be OK for CF. Really makes the black frame look better too. The cracks are less noticeable but still there. My dealer has submitted a warranty request/query about this too.
IMG_4860.JPG

Last edited:

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
My side decals on the down tube are also cracking the same way. No reply from Focus about this yet so I guess I'll have to query my dealer today. No structural cracking in the actual frame material at all which is good so this is just cosmetic.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Wow, looks like Focus is sending me a new frame along with a new rear hub! It’s going to take about 4 weeks from Germany. I am doing the frame swap since the dealer will not do for free ($240.) and I think I can do a better job. I think battery removal and wiring routing will be the toughest part.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
.......... I am doing the frame swap since the dealer will not do for free ($240.) ...........

Absolutely outrageous! If the motor or battery was being replaced under warranty the dealer would do the work, so why not when the frame is being replaced?
I'd complain to Focus in the strongest terms.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Absolutely outrageous! If the motor or battery was being replaced under warranty the dealer would do the work, so why not when the frame is being replaced?
I'd complain to Focus in the strongest terms.
I don't mind doing the work since then I know it will all be done right. I'm sure it has something to do with Focus pulling out of the USA. But you are right, a warranty is a warranty or should be. I bought the 2018 bike in April of this year at a very reduced price of $4200.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@sdcoffeeroaster OK, but be very careful when installing the battery that you do not crush the electrical cables! There is not a lot of room for the cables. The LBS did that on my replacement battery and it caused intermittent failures of the display (ie not coming on). The cables are expensive too.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
@sdcoffeeroaster OK, but be very careful when installing the battery that you do not crush the electrical cables! There is not a lot of room for the cables. The LBS did that on my replacement battery and it caused intermittent failures of the display (ie not coming on). The cables are expensive too.
Yes I heard that about the wiring so I will be very careful. My cables were pinched by the factory when they installed my motor and had to loosen the motor to free up a flattened cable that was pinched between the frame and motor. Thanks for the reminder.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I have a socket to remove the chainring now. I am hoping the frame comes with bearings but probably not. I hope to take a lot of pics and maybe videos too since these seem to be lacking online.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
My dealer has my new warranty frame. It came complete with a new back stay installed. and all the bearings installed. Have to drop the forks/stem/bars in (easy), install back wheel/derailleur back brake (pretty easy), dropper post (easy) and then of course battery/motor and wiring (a bit tougher, probably order dependent). Focus also sent a new back hub ds162 which I'm letting the dealer keep for spares since I bought a ds462 (5 sealed bearings) and I'm using another set of CF wheels right now. I'm looking for hints and suggestions on what to look out for but I think this will NOT be that tough for me. I don't want to trust this to the dealer and they want $240. to do it anyway. That was never my plan. I pick the frame up next week. Any good pointers from anyone that has done this or am I a trail blazer, lol?

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Given the unhelpfulness of the dealer, I'm surprised that you are "letting them keep the hub for spares". :unsure:
You know I'm trying to go overboard to make this happen and I'm being very reasonable. I really want to have both frames at the same time to be able to remove and replace things in the right order while it's all fresh in my mind. It's about 130 miles to the dealership and I just decided it doesn't make sense to drive up there twice (4-6 hr roundtrip if LA traffic is not too bad)! So I'm asking them to ship it to me and to also take my VISA card and charge me for the frame and then once I have the old one shipped back to credit my card. I've also asked why there isn't paid labor for this job. I didn't bring this on myself. It's a manufacturing defect. At least they can pay for the shipping which I'm guessing they won't do, lol.

I just saw another issue and that is that the long rubber piece on the stay for silencing chain slap is not on the new stay. This part is not designed to be removed and could very well be damaged and unusable if I try to razor blade it off. And I have no idea what adhesive they use but it's really very secure. So I've asked the dealer to research this and make sure I have a new part before I dive into this. I'm beginning to wonder if it's all worth it. The decals on the side of the bike are also cracking but it's all just cosmetic. The big issue here is Focus has pulled out of the US market. I see more and more ebikes and I think that's a bad decision. The bike was very reduced but no mention was made that there wasn't a warranty and they should include labor. I don't think Focus wants the frame back. I'm thinking my dealer wants to make some money on it to resell it. Giving them the hub was easy since I fixed my wheel with a ds462 cassette driver that's much better. Cost me $72. but I'm only using those rims as a back-up for my carbon rims (27.5/29 combo).

Gspot

Jul 28, 2019
NW
Please do post some more info of the swap. Are the brake and dropper cables zip tied with the loom? Did you leave your bike in the sun for a while? Long break, locked up, etc? Seen the dream build video? May help you

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Please do post some more info of the swap. Are the brake and dropper cables zip tied with the loom? Did you leave your bike in the sun for a while? Long break, locked up, etc? Seen the dream build video? May help you
I will when I do the swap. The bike is always in the house or garage when not being ridden. None of my rides have gone much more than 3-4 hrs so it's never been left in the sun. I don't put any chemicals on it other than a touch of mild soap and water. The bike might have sat in a window in the hot LA sun in San Dimas for a while since it is a 2018 and I bought it April of this year. That could be the issue. I've seen other non-embedded decals crack just like this on motor homes in the desert around here.

I found the Haibike dream build video. That one already has the rubber piece on the stay unlike my new frame. I'll look at the others online. Thanks

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
Thanks, yes I saw that one. It's a bit different since it's the Bosch motor, removable battery and not a carbon frame. Great video and bike just the same. It also already had the chain stay in place too. I just found a few videos about how to make chain guard out of a tube...worst case I can do that I guess. I think there are after market rubber chain guards too.

sdcoffeeroaster

Jul 22, 2018
San Diego, CA
I finally received my new warranty frame and did the frame swap. What was I thinking, lol. It was a nightmare to get the battery and wiring back in without pinching anything. I must have slid the battery in and out 20 times before I was happy with the result. Luckily my arm is small enough to fit down the battery compartment. I came up with a way to zip tie the cables and wires out of the way while I slid the battery in. But I also used a wood dowel to push the cable out of the way to prevent pinching. 5 lbs of crap in a 4 lb box. I had various other things go wrong like a screw that had to be drilled out and a broken torx socket...still in the screw but the screw is tight so I'm leaving that for later. The chain stay protector came right off and in clean off the glue it seemed to reactivate the stickiness so I just stuck it back on! If I had the choice I would not do this again!

IMG_5029.JPG

wire holder.JPG

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles