Top headset for Cube stereo Hybrid 140 Race HPC 2020

drdafyddj

Jul 2, 2022
UK
I have seen various posts about the headsets for the Cube Stereo hybrid 140 2020 model. I have the Black and Blue model and the 56 mm headsets just won't fit. I have measured the inner rim of the bike and it is 52 mm but can't find any complete headset to bit the top. I can get a encased bearing system at 52 mm but not a suitable reducer so it fits on the fork.

The bottom is 56 mm and replaced the caged bearings with a fully encased set ages ago. I would like to get a similar set for the top - saves me cleaning and greasing the bearings every couple of months.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. D.

MrPeaski

Sep 21, 2020
South Wales
This is the best thread to read

In short the the best affordable headset you can get is the Superstar one.
For the top set which includes bearing, cups and top cap you need Type 5 (ZS56/28.6) in whatever colour you prefer.
For the bottom set which also includes bearing, cup and crown race (for the fork) you need Type E (ZS56/40) again in any colour you prefer

You may be measuring the existing cup that is in your frame which is where you're getting the 52mm from. This cup is tapped out and replaced with the one that comes with the new headset.

I would recommend changing both top and bottom sets as it only works out at around £40 and it is a world of difference to the stock one

The first post in the above thread shows exactly which parts to get and also shows it fitted. The Thread starter chose orange cups etc so you can clearly see what has been changed.

This is a picture of mine in blue

20201216_211116.jpg

HTH

drdafyddj

Jul 2, 2022
UK

For the top set which includes bearing, cups and top cap you need Type 5 (ZS56/28.6) in whatever colour you prefer.
For the bottom set which also includes bearing, cup and crown race (for the fork) you need Type E (ZS56/40) again in any colour you prefer

You may be measuring the existing cup that is in your frame which is where you're getting the 52mm from. This cup is tapped out and replaced with the one that comes with the new headset.

I would recommend changing both top and bottom sets as it only works out at around £40 and it is a world of difference to the stock one

The first post in the above thread shows exactly which parts to get and also shows it fitted. The Thread starter chose orange cups etc so you can clearly see what has been changed.

View attachment 91482

HTH
Hi. Thanks. I see what you mean. How would you recommend tapping out the cap.

I already have the exact same head as you but would not fit. That cup in place is probably the issue (I thought it was a fixed part of the bike).

drdafyddj

Jul 2, 2022
UK

View attachment 91482

HTH
I actually just did it - thanks very much for this excellent help. Been dealing with problem since I had the bike. Very much appreciated.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles