Levo SL Gen 1 To people who changed their suspension on their 2020 Levo SL?

teapeaage

Jun 6, 2021
polandia
Hi,

I am thinking of changing the 2020 Fork to 36 immediately when it arrives (I got the Sworks model on a super discount). And I am now thinking of whether I should change the rear shock, too (I don't want to sell it used if I have to).

To whoever switched their suspension in 2020 models - did you do both front and rear?

6"1, 190lbs, not a lot of super gnarly tracks that I usually do.

Thanks!

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
I’m 6”2’, about the same weight. Went 170mm Era in the front, in the rear restroked Super Deluxe Ultimate with Megneg and a Cascade Link. It’s amazing ;):). Mullet too, size XL.

teapeaage

Jun 6, 2021
polandia
I’m 6”2’, about the same weight. Went 170mm Era in the front, in the rear restroked Super Deluxe Ultimate with Megneg and a Cascade Link. It’s amazing ;):). Mullet too, size XL.

What did you think about the stock rear shock? Was that a factory DPS, too? Did you really feel it lacking?
My trips won't consist of super long descents, more about multiple 5min-descent-laps each. I think every review I read mentions the fact that the fork should be a 36 and I see all new models are DPX2..

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Why replace high quality suspension before you even know there is a need?

For what it's worth, I swapped my comp carbons 34's to fox 36 , stuck with float because they were black - stealth is good. To be honest, I'd tempted to go back to the 34's . These bikes are light, and if you can blast past the weekend warriors with just 34's that's gotta have some street cred?

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I got my size large SL expert down to about 17kg by adding lighter tyres, wheels, bars, pedals, brakes etc. I've since added thicker maxis double down tyres, RS Lyrik ultimate 160mm forks, and am about to swap out the rear DPS shock for a fox X2. All these 'upgrades' will add over 1kg to the weight. It's all about compromise I guess. Weight vs performance.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I’m 200 lbs and the 34 was a no go an on longer descents the dps shock just got too springy.
Put on a 38 and X2. Much better bike but in the end I think that the sl has too much compliance in the frame to be a Hard charger.
What do you mean by it has too much compliance?

bbkp

Jan 10, 2021
vienna
That does Not Sound very promising to me. The Levo SL has not the steepest Seat Angle, and with 170 in the Front, mullet in the back and cascade link, this will get worse. A Lot of bouncing when pedaling and the Front want stay on the Ground in steep uphill.
So, there is a reason for the kenevo SL....

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
That does Not Sound very promising to me. The Levo SL has not the steepest Seat Angle, and with 170 in the Front, mullet in the back and cascade link, this will get worse. A Lot of bouncing when pedaling and the Front want stay on the Ground in steep uphill.
So, there is a reason for the kenevo SL....
The seat angle is definitely not great for very steep uphills. It’s fine, it has a motor. More than made up for on the downhills. Faster on this than on my Kenevo. It’s built for purpose. I keep a second 29 rear wheel with matching cassette for when I want to go mild trail riding (never used it!).

Tobers

Jun 20, 2020
England
I went with EXT Era on the front at 160mm and EXT Storia V3 on the back with a Cascade link and firmer spring. I’m 6’2” and 92kg. The Cascade link lets you run a firmer spring without compromising travel/bottom-out. I don’t worry about the extra weight of coils as the bike has a motor. It’s very very nice. Smooth and supple. Much more capable than my skills allow for.

Last edited:

MLX John

Jun 20, 2020
albuquerque, nm
I don't feel as much flex when pushing the rear end hard after installing a Cascade link. It looks burlier than the stock link and is CNC'd.
I'm 195-200 pounds rtr.
Cascade components claims 70% more progressivity over the stock link. Works great with my DPX2.

I bought the DPX2 aftermarket and the tune was way too light, even w/ the cascade link. Sent the shock to Fox and they gave it the Spez RX treatment.

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
I went with a mezzer at 170mm (internally adjustable from 140-180) and ext storia in the rear with a cascade link.

bike was quite a hard charger. Did the mullet for the past few months with it too. The slack sta isn’t terrible, but now with my ksl, I am usually beating all my uphill PR by a lot. It’s definitely not just new bike stoke.

I do agree that the flex on the levo sl is a bit noticeable, but I never found it to be a detriment to ride quality. Ksl is noticeably stiffer as well

the stock 34 isn’t bad, but if you want to get more aggressive . I would go with a 36 , lyrik, mezzer, etc in 160mm guise. Get the cascade link prior to getting a new rear shock. This bike will get you up and down everything.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Is anyone running a 210x55mm shock with the cascade link? Just wondering if there would be clearance issues.

rsmagee

Jul 11, 2020
West Midlands
Is anyone running a 210x55mm shock with the cascade link? Just wondering if there would be clearance issues.

Yes I am running a Kistuma Coil 210x55 with a cascade link. No clearance issues on my medium frame. Installed the shock without the spring to check

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
Just make sure to check clearance between the yoke and the seatstay bridge. On mine, that was a tight fit in “low” on the flip chip. And that was with the stock shock size . I think there is some variability between frames

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
On my medium I am running both. No issues.

My question is…. To all the above…. does the cascade make any noticeable difference to progression and performance? I’ve just had a Fox X2 delivered today to swap it with my DPS shock. As I weigh 195lbs/88kg do I need a cascade link to keep suppleness and to be able to remove volume tokens? I’m never more than 3 foot in the air and ride all mountain.

Last edited:

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
My .02c is that the cascade link is an utter waste of money. It adds a little bit of travel which is what got me because the sl is actually 147mm of travel. So with the CC link and 55 shock you get something like 155mm of travel if my memory serves me correct.

if you want to run theSL at the sweet spot that it has at 22% you need to add about 20-30psi which no matter what someone wants to think it kills the suppleness. It adds more progression but if you take out volume spacers to make the shock it’s self more linear feeling you’ll need to add even more pressure. So you’d be left with shitty small bump compliance but lots of linear feeling travel.

last CC product I’ll buy - dont believe the hype unless you wanna run the SL for bigger jumps than what I now think it’s good for.
Haah, nice honest write up.. I appreciate and respect that for sure.
I hope my Fox X2 doesn’t disappoint. I think I’ll give the cascade a miss

Last edited:

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
It’s a great air shock. Try with stock volume spacers first and low pressure, maybe 240psi. At our weight and any aggressive riding you’ll be using all the travel up pretty quick with no spacers.
If you have any fork/shock oil lube keep the shaft wet. Makes the small bump much better. The larger shaft means more friction to begin movement so if it’s dry,it will not be as ground hugging/plush feeling

I've also found that the X2 on most bikes and for most conditions performs best with compression (both circuits) nearly wide open.

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
I've also found that the X2 on most bikes and for most conditions performs best with compression (both circuits) nearly wide open.
Excellent. That's where I'm going to start... with all the compression circuits open.? That's how I set up my Lyrik forks, and then just dialled in a few clicks of LSC as needed.

Last edited:

jcmonty

Sep 5, 2018
California
My .02c is that the cascade link is an utter waste of money. It adds a little bit of travel which is what got me because the sl is actually 147mm of travel. So with the CC link and 55 shock you get something like 155mm of travel if my memory serves me correct.

if you want to run theSL at the sweet spot that it has at 22% you need to add about 20-30psi which no matter what someone wants to think it kills the suppleness. It adds more progression but if you take out volume spacers to make the shock it’s self more linear feeling you’ll need to add even more pressure. So you’d be left with shitty small bump compliance but lots of linear feeling travel.

last CC product I’ll buy - dont believe the hype unless you wanna run the SL for bigger jumps than what I now think it’s good for.
Not my experience at all but to each their own. Yes, it does require more psi for the same sag but I found small bump was just as good or better with the air shock.
Curious how you got the 147mm number too

Lightme

Subscriber
Jul 17, 2020
Sydney
Not my experience at all but to each their own. Yes, it does require more psi for the same sag but I found small bump was just as good or better with the air shock.
Curious how you got the 147mm number too
I love my Cascade link. This in combo with a megneg on the superdeluxe completely changed the bike for the better. I also have a Cascade link on my SB130. Really helped there too.

I guess it depends on your body weight and riding style. I’m 88kg and ride for fast downhill, so bottom out easily. If you just ride more mellow trails and are lighter, it would not be necessary.

teapeaage

Jun 6, 2021
polandia
Excellent. That's where I'm going to start... with all the compression circuits open.? That's how I set up my Lyrik forks, and then just dialled in a few clicks of LSC as needed.

So does the X2 210x55 interfere with the water bottle on the Levo SL? Trying to understand if the new Float X 210x52.5 will fit with the battery extender/ water bottle in..

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
So does the X2 210x55 interfere with the water bottle on the Levo SL? Trying to understand if the new Float X 210x52.5 will fit with the battery extender/ water bottle in..
You should be fine with either. What size frame?

1B702B39-9478-4883-89F5-F468C94361CE.jpeg

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
Up to date, my current settings on Fox X2 2021, levo SL 210x55
rider weight 88kg
30% sag 240psi
3 installed air volume tokens (maximum for this size and model shock)
LSR 10 from closed
HSR 0 completely closed
LSC 16 from closed (pretty much fully open)
HSC 5 from closed (pretty much fully open)

The trick with this shock for Levo/levo SL)is to fill it full of tokens and just use air pressure. You have to be super careful when letting out and adding air that's there's no air trapped in the negative chamber when pumping up.
This is really good to watch....

Last edited:

teapeaage

Jun 6, 2021
polandia
You should be fine with either. What size frame?

It's an L-size. I also am thinking of getting the Fox 36 GRIP2 160mm 51mm offset as I can get a crazy deal on it right now.. Only thinking if 160mm won't change the geometry too much? Will likely do the fork first and then the shock if I still feel I could use it..

Seen much improvement with X2? I don't jump too much and don't feel like I lack that much but even Specialized equipping all new models with the DPX2 makes me wonder if the bike won't behave much better..

apac

Aug 14, 2019
S.Wales
It's an L-size. I also am thinking of getting the Fox 36 GRIP2 160mm 51mm offset as I can get a crazy deal on it right now.. Only thinking if 160mm won't change the geometry too much? Will likely do the fork first and then the shock if I still feel I could use it..

Seen much improvement with X2? I don't jump too much and don't feel like I lack that much but even Specialized equipping all new models with the DPX2 makes me wonder if the bike won't behave much better..

It's definitely debatable whether the X2 is a £700 outlay better than the fox DPS shock that comes with the bike. It's also taken me a couple of months to get the shock setup how I like it. It's a complicated piece of equipment. There's lots to be said for Rockshox suspension which in comparison is easy to set up and get feeling good. I put Rockshox Lyrik Ultimate 160mm forks on my SL. They are excellent. You should get new forks first for sure. 160mm will not upset the geometry, it will give you a slightly slacker head angle but you could alway change the flip chip to the high position if you feel any negative effect.

the X2 is tricky to get a nice supple feel at the beginning of the stroke as at the same time getting mid stroke support. This is why it's taken me quite a bit of fiddling and experimenting with tokens, air, and settings.

KnollyBro

E*POWAH Elite
Dec 3, 2020
Vancouver
It's definitely debatable whether the X2 is a £700 outlay better than the fox DPS shock that comes with the bike. It's also taken me a couple of months to get the shock setup how I like it. It's a complicated piece of equipment. There's lots to be said for Rockshox suspension which in comparison is easy to set up and get feeling good. I put Rockshox Lyrik Ultimate 160mm forks on my SL. They are excellent. You should get new forks first for sure. 160mm will not upset the geometry, it will give you a slightly slacker head angle but you could alway change the flip chip to the high position if you feel any negative effect.

the X2 is tricky to get a nice supple feel at the beginning of the stroke as at the same time getting mid stroke support. This is why it's taken me quite a bit of fiddling and experimenting with tokens, air, and settings.

I was wondering what type of trails do you mostly ride? I have often wondered how to put into words the feeling of a difference of 10mm in fork travel in terms of one degree slacker or less? How big is too big for a fork?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles