Tire puncture

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Its allmost new tire, and is out of stock allmost everywhere in my size

I’d agree new tyre different brand.

However if it is sealed and no air escapes you are good to go. Just have a spare patch/piece of old tyre and glue in you backpack. If you are unlucky enough for a flint etc to pierce the same hole you’d wished you’d bought a new tyre.

GrahamPaul

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
If you really want to wear that tyre out rather than bin it, run it with Tannus Armour and a tube. It's the "goto" solution for those folks who don't believe in tubeless tyres.

I understand entirely about the availability. I got a similar hole/split in my 29/2.6 Nobby Nics a couple of weeks ago. Managed to round the hole with the tool and get it to seal with a plug which looked like something I used to use in my motorbike days.

I was showing off my handywork a couple of days later to my mates when we spotted that there was another split opening up right beside the first one which the sealant had plugged. It looked like it was just waiting to flat on the next drop (photo below), so I started looking for a new tyre. Hadn't realised that there was such a shortage :eek:.

Finally sourced a couple (bought 2 to get free delivery) from Ebike24 at reasonable price which, oddly enough, are due for delivery today.

IMG_20210408_125731.jpg

(And why didn't I take my own advice about Tannus Armour? Two reasons: 1) had I not been able to source the tyres, I would have; 2) Not only was the tyre getting worn but there were dozens and dozens of sealant spots where it had been punctured, and the inside of the tyre was a mess of thorns sticking through the carcass, which I'd have had to remove)

Cyclopath1000

Apr 26, 2019
Davis Ca
Buy off amazon etc a replacement latex inside bladder for a blood pressure cuff. About $10. Also buy a tube of aquaseal which is used to fix wet suits etc. Take tire off and clean and rough sand around the hole in the tire FROM THE INSIDE. cut a patch off the bp bladder , apply a layer of aquaseal then patch the more aquaseal over parltch and let dry making sure patch doesn't curl off. ( You can apply the outer layer of aquaseal after the patch dries and use some kind of clamp to tire and seal to keep contact. Once you finish the repair this way ( works super good on sidewall cuts btw) ride that tire untill it's got nothing left.

Timochka69

Jan 31, 2018
Helsinki
I recall Doddy at GMBN Tech made a video about repairing ripped tyre. He used a needle and thread to stitch the hole. Cannot remember what he used for a patch.

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
Where I live we use custom slime rope plugs made from a car tire plug kit for stubborn tire punctures. We cut the custom rope plugs out of the 1/4” tire plugs. You can buy the whole tire kit at Walmart for $5.88 which makes over 25 bike plugs. Then we use Gorilla super glue Gel on the rope to finish the sealing process.

F727FC1F-C098-44A0-99C1-21A8754350B1.png

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
IMG_20210309_103510.jpg

You don't expect fixing a rubberless bicycle tire like one from a car.
But you can try TECH if you get the luck.

Once I purchased Schwalbe MTB plus tires, level 7 protection marketed as puncture-proof, and the rear tire got a puncture on the second ride within 100 miles. Then I got another two within the next two weeks. The last big puncture tore the tire and the tire was done. I haven't had a chance to change it to tubeless yet. Though the German are not proud of their products, they send me another one.

IMG_20210318_064655__01.jpg

You have to understand tire manufacture would like you to buy as many tires as possible so they won't focus on producing a tire that is easy to fix.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
View attachment 59686
You don't expect fixing a rubberless bicycle tire like one from a car.
But you can try TECH if you get the luck.

Once I purchased Schwalbe MTB plus tires, level 7 protection marketed as puncture-proof, and the rear tire got a puncture on the second ride within 100 miles. Then I got another two within the next two weeks. The last big puncture tore the tire and the tire was done. I haven't had a chance to change it to tubeless yet. Though the German are not proud of their products, they send me another one.

View attachment 59687

You have to understand tire manufacture would like you to buy as many tires as possible so they won't focus on producing a tire that is easy to fix.
Yea my hole isnt that big, its less then 1 cm.
I will try to patch the hole first.
But is it good to put some superglue on the outside of the hole?

MadManPedal

Nov 13, 2020
philippines
Superglue doesn't hold pressure.
It is a cut, not a hole.
If you could fine drill it to a hole, it would probably be a 8-10mm hole and It requires TECH UNI-SEAL ULS10/ULS8. And most bicycle tires will deform after being patched this big.
But you can try your luck by using TECH MP0 or MP1 to repair the tire. Skip the buffing process and make sure the inside as clean as possible before applying vulcanizing glue.

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
I patched it with an piece of tire and some contact glue. Leave it for 24 hours and see gow it will hold up.
20210425_172033.jpg
20210425_172100.jpg

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
Superglue doesn't hold pressure.
It is a cut, not a hole.
If you could fine drill it to a hole, it would probably be a 8-10mm hole and It requires TECH UNI-SEAL ULS10/ULS8. And most bicycle tires will deform after being patched this big.
But you can try your luck by using TECH MP0 or MP1 to repair the tire. Skip the buffing process and make sure the inside as clean as possible before applying vulcanizing glue.
Mad our experience when using Gorilla glue gel along with a rope plug is that there is a better chance the fix will not leak than if we didn’t use the Gorrilla Glue Gel.

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Stan’s dart worked for me. It filled a large nail hole and stayed there for 1500km until I replaced the tyre. Apparently it reacts with Stan’s sealant......if you are using that.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Stan’s dart worked for me. It filled a large nail hole and stayed there for 1500km until I replaced the tyre. Apparently it reacts with Stan’s sealant......if you are using that.
Same. Stan's reckons it reacts with any latex sealant.

johnf0246

Jan 22, 2021
Sedona, Arizona
Giff Stans dart are great they are just very expensive compared to the rope and Gorilla glue fix which fixes 99% of our flats.

I also have been making my own latest sealant for over five years now with carpet glue. I costs $13 a gallon and works great. I mix the adhesive 3 to 1 with water.

C27C8D8D-00D0-4B3C-A43D-0D18DE869120.png

Last edited:

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
So i fixed the tire, its holding pretty good for now(only time will tell).
I set them up to tubeless again bit now it seems to be leaking somewhere else?? Can the tire stretch of i get it off to much? This is what happend now.
20210430_181916.jpg

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
So i fixed the tire, its holding pretty good for now(only time will tell).
I set them up to tubeless again bit now it seems to be leaking somewhere else?? Can the tire stretch of i get it off to much? This is what happend now.

That's perfectly normal. You'll get a bit of seepage around the rims for tyres that have already been used with tubes. That will seal pretty quickly.

Depending on the quality of tyre and rim, it might take a day or two for the seepage to stop. Be aware that if you stand your bike on its wheels (like normal!) then you could come back to flat tyres and sealant all over the floor. Either hang your bike up, turn it upside down, or keep the wheels off, laying them flat until they are sealed.

Best thing to do is ride it. Tyres always seal faster that way!

Sander23

Aug 28, 2020
Belgium
That's perfectly normal. You'll get a bit of seepage around the rims for tyres that have already been used with tubes. That will seal pretty quickly.

Depending on the quality of tyre and rim, it might take a day or two for the seepage to stop. Be aware that if you stand your bike on its wheels (like normal!) then you could come back to flat tyres and sealant all over the floor. Either hang your bike up, turn it upside down, or keep the wheels off, laying them flat until they are sealed.

Best thing to do is ride it. Tyres always seal faster that way!
Awesome! I thought i fucked up the tire completely. i will take your advice :cool:

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
Awesome! I thought i fucked up the tire completely. i will take your advice :cool:

You'll be like the rest of us: you'll really worry about that tyre going down for the first few rides. Then when it doesn't(*), you'll wonder why you didn't do this from day one and be asking yourself how anyone could ride with tubes.

(*) = one of my first attempts a going tubeless "let go" about 100m away from my house. It wasn't a proper tubeless ready tyre and I hadn't properly seated it. I had another go and it sealed fine. I switched to proper tubeless tyres and have had no regrets... I get plenty of practice at punctures around here helping out fellow riders who think that tubeless is nonsense... ?‍♂️

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles