Tips for refreshing tire sealant with a cushcore

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
How do you go about refreshing your tire sealant when you have a cushcore installed? It can be a struggle to get the tires on and off with a cushcore I'm wondering if anyone has any tips or tricks for doing this?

jerry

Dec 22, 2018
Belgium
best go for the regular notubes sealant... the "race" version has so many crystals in them, they tend to clog up the injector.

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK

I'm asking about taking out the old sealant and adding new rather than topping up. I already inject the sealant through the valve. At some point though the wheel will have more dried sealant than air if I just keep topping it up all the time.

The last time I had my tires off there was a decent amount of dried sealant inside the tire.

Maybe I just need to accept that I'm going to have to wrestle the tires off and on every once in a while.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you want to remove/fit cushcore simply follow the clear in depth manufacturers instructions.
If you want to remove balled up dry sealant obviously you'll need to remove at least one tyre bead.
If you simply have a coating of dried sealant inside your tyre. (no annoying sealant ball rattling about inside) then just top it up with a little more of the same.
50ml extra sealant isn't going to do any harm. Especially with an insert fitted.

Sorry for not being any more specific. You didn't actually bother saying which sealant you have in there.

Konanige

Feb 29, 2020
Mendips
Never bother just whack in some more every 6 months or so, to this day I am disappointed to say I have never found a Stans monster in fifteen years running tubeless, what am I doing wrong??

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
Never bother just whack in some more every 6 months or so, to this day I am disappointed to say I have never found a Stans monster in fifteen years running tubeless, what am I doing wrong??

I thought it needed to be cleaned out every so often as it would go off. I've always felt like I'm living on borrowed time as I've left it in there for ages.

Well that's much easier than I thought, just do nothing, other than top ups. Easy :)

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
I thought it needed to be cleaned out every so often as it would go off. I've always felt like I'm living on borrowed time as I've left it in there for ages.

Well that's much easier than I thought, just do nothing, other than top ups. Easy :)
Sealant-wise: correct. But what will you do if you’re miles from anywhere on a ride and need to fit an inner tube as part of avoiding a long push home?
Or even when you want to change to a new tyre quickly for another ride tomorrow for whatever reason?
It’s worth practicing taking a tyre off and back on - or whatever - with CushCore as once you have the knack (see @Gary ’s advice) it’s quite straightforward and without any idea a complete pain…

jamied

Mar 14, 2018
UK
Sealant-wise: correct. But what will you do if you’re miles from anywhere on a ride and need to fit an inner tube as part of avoiding a long push home?

I wouldn't remove a cushcore on the trail, I'd just ride on the cushcore with a flat. Many years ago before tubules was even a thing I had a multiple punctures that were unrepairable 16 miles from home and rode the whole way with the tire stuffed with grass. I had to top it up a few times but it worked pretty well and the rim was still usable.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles