Time to try the Fox dhx2 coil

Justchillin

Aug 28, 2018
Derby
414AA658-E8BD-4B6B-96EA-A605917CD9E8.jpeg

tomato paste

Mar 18, 2019
Germany
I had written to Canyon asking whether or not I could install a coil. They didn't give much of an answer whether or not it was possible, but they did say this:

"We only tested our bikes with air forks and rear shocks. A usage of coil forks and rear shocks will not be covered under warrenty."

Which concerned me a bit, as I was thinking of getting a Spectral and doing exactly what you did with the coil first thing. But it sounds like any other components failing with the coil installed means Canyon won't cover anything, which is unsettling. "The motor broke but because you swapped in a coil we won't cover it". So I'm going to pick up a Commencal instead, which comes with a coil, problem solved I guess, but budget destroyed.

Justchillin

Aug 28, 2018
Derby
I had written to Canyon asking whether or not I could install a coil. They didn't give much of an answer whether or not it was possible, but they did say this:

"We only tested our bikes with air forks and rear shocks. A usage of coil forks and rear shocks will not be covered under warrenty."

Which concerned me a bit, as I was thinking of getting a Spectral and doing exactly what you did with the coil first thing. But it sounds like any other components failing with the coil installed means Canyon won't cover anything, which is unsettling. "The motor broke but because you swapped in a coil we won't cover it". So I'm going to pick up a Commencal instead, which comes with a coil, problem solved I guess, but budget destroyed.
I see what your saying but now i know i would just pop the standard air shocks back on if i needed warranty

Justchillin

Aug 28, 2018
Derby
What size (Frame) do you ride? Wich rear shocks habe you try on your Spectral? Would this pass on a size “M”?
Mine is a large, i’ve put a fox dpx2 on which was very good and now have the dhx2 which is amazing as i do a lot of dh stuff and very rough natural rocky stuff. If i was just doing single track and trail centres i’d go for the dpx2.
Not tried them on a medium

Gee

Jun 20, 2019
South Wales
My bike came with a DHX2. Its my first ever coil shock and im blown away by it. Small bump compliance is awesome. Worth the slight weight penalty over an air shock for such a plush ride. About 85kg kitted and running the 450lb spring.

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
00000IMG_00000_BURST20190815133147515_COVER.jpg

Tadaaaaaa! :) Looks the business, feels pretty good initially and I'm booked in for Bike Park Wales weekend after next to put it to the test

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Looks really good.
Did you also go for 320x65 and what mounting hardware is needed?
230!!! Lol 230 x 65. The shop where I got the coil leisure lakes mounted it for me. They used the bottom bushings out of my original shock it seems and put new ones in the top because they had them lying around.

They also price matched Silverfish which had 20% off so I got a really good deal.

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Awesome - you got some updated pics with the new fork decals installed?
Haven't done it yet ? my missus was on holiday when I first got them and had her hairdryer with her. So I couldn't get the old ones off ?.

I may get chance to do it this week if the weather stays dry

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
Would that fit on the new trek rail? Would i have to change the front fork to a coil to match? What does the front fork coil look like, is it inside?
No idea if it would fit that bike and no you wouldn't have to change the fork.

It's beneficial to have a high end fork with high and low speed settings to match the shock for better balancing / fine tuning but I don't have that at the moment.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Haven't done it yet ? my missus was on holiday when I first got them and had her hairdryer with her. So I couldn't get the old ones off ?.

I may get chance to do it this week if the weather stays dry
When I did my fork, I used some low tack masking tape to mark the top and bottom edges of the original graphics, which made it easy to Line up the new ones

Clansey

Aug 13, 2018
Liverpool
When I did my fork, I used some low tack masking tape to mark the top and bottom edges of the original graphics, which made it easy to Line up the new ones
Cheers for the tip. My decals have come with alignment stickers so I'm hoping it will be easy... Famous last words

Rouckie

Jun 9, 2020
Belgium
For those interested, I fitted a dvo jade coil to my size medium spectral on. It involves a custom made adaptor. If needed, I might be able to provide it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles