Thorns...in or out?

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
I had a couple of punctures last year with thorns but none since I went tubeless with Stans last year.

Someone said that they found numerous thorns in their tyre but they sealed themselves.

I wondered about carrying a tube but thought that if the tyre had lots of thorns fitting an emergency tube would not work.

So the point (!) of the post. I checked today and found a deeply embedded thorn that could have been there for ages. I removed it with pliers and had an immediate l air loss. The Stans didn’t seem to stop it so I removed the valve and topped up and it seems to have repaired it.

So do you leave the thorns in or pull them out?

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
I've had a number of thorns since getting my Levo on November. After the first puncture I fitted Tannus front and rear rather than going tubeless.

Now I hear them clicking on the mudguards before I see them. Lots more now as it seems to be hedge trimming season, but no flats since the first.

Weds

Aug 9, 2019
Kent
If you find them when out on a ride leave them in. If there's bits hanging out over the edge of the tyre break them off trying not to disturb the thorn. Sort them out when you get home..

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Never heard off Tannus, what's that a tyre insert system?

Picture of a Tannus below. It’s a foam jacket and your tube goes inside it. You can run at a much lower pressure.
Even if you were to get a puncture you can still ride home because the Tannus is designed to run flat.
The weight of one of them is about 330g according to my kitchen scales. The foam looks good quality and is extremely thick. There is extra thickness at the bottom. Can’t see much going through that.
I did have a little trouble trying to get the tyre on the rim However but I was in a rush at the time so postponed my attempt.
For now I’m using a Mr Tuffy insert which is like a plastic tape and only weighs about 120g and goes in very easily. It’s quite thin but if it fails I’ll use the Tannus.

Beekeeper

🍯Honey Monster🍯
Aug 6, 2019
Surrey hills
Tannus Armour. 29 inch
5E2B65B8-928C-4D44-9857-F9958C0C3C7D.jpeg

Simoto123

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Aug 6, 2019
North west
Ive just ordered the Tannus. I have been really satisfied with the tubeless set up for over 3k miles. Only the rear butcher needed a slight top up in that time. No punctures.
Due to a health issue I simply cannot get stranded as I have no vehicle And have to walk home.
Sadly, a couple of weeks ago I found the Achilles heel in my strategy. Namely a 2.5 inch roofing nail which passed through the tyre at 90’, puncturing the rim tape as well. Bugger!
No problem? Tube etc out and set to work on a dark freezing canal bank. I figured out I’d have to check for sharp objects. I never got that far. My medical situation has affected my upper body strength, or rather the force I can excert with my arms. I knew the tyre wasnt a tight fit but couldn’t shift it due to the sticky sealant. Very frustrating.
I was miles from home! Oh dear. Thank god it was the rear!
I realised that Tannus was the solution for me, since you always have the run flat feature.
It was no joke honestly, once I had to stop pedalling and push I became very cold, very fast. I mean shivering. No one around etc, I realised I was dangerously vulnerable to freezing to death due to the conditions.
During my Tannus research I found that a Tannus can allow much lighter casings due to the added protection/support. Also tubolito tubes can remove 100s of grams from the equation.
It is relatively easy, though a little expensive, to end up with a net weight loss against a DH tyre and sealant. It’s true, check for yourselves. Apparently handling and small bump/chatter compliance is much improved with the inserts. They also roll at least as well as a tubeless set up, better according to some testers. No need to carry tubes, pump, levers co2 etc etc. Quite compelling isn’t it? Remember they also run flat.
as you can tell, I’m sold!
Sorry this post Is long but I wanted to describe the issue i had in detail, in case anyone else could get caught short in a similar situation.
As you were.

Kingfisher

Jun 3, 2019
Belgium
And check the tyre inner carcus thoroughly for any drbris/sharps BEFORE fitting your spare tube.

#NotRocketScience

You would have to be an utter idiot to not think of that. I mean, who would be so stupid? You would end up fitting a spare tube, only to instantly realise how stupid you are as you watch it deflate itself, and then have to walk home for 6 kilometers on a cold Octrober Saturday all the while wondering why your parents hadn't actually given up on you.

I mean, who would be that stupid?

Giff

Subscriber
Oct 14, 2019
Cheshire UK
Ive just ordered the Tannus. I have been really satisfied with the tubeless set up for over 3k miles. Only the rear butcher needed a slight top up in that time. No punctures.
Due to a health issue I simply cannot get stranded as I have no vehicle And have to walk home.
Sadly, a couple of weeks ago I found the Achilles heel in my strategy. Namely a 2.5 inch roofing nail which passed through the tyre at 90’, puncturing the rim tape as well. Bugger!
No problem? Tube etc out and set to work on a dark freezing canal bank. I figured out I’d have to check for sharp objects. I never got that far. My medical situation has affected my upper body strength, or rather the force I can excert with my arms. I knew the tyre wasnt a tight fit but couldn’t shift it due to the sticky sealant. Very frustrating.
I was miles from home! Oh dear. Thank god it was the rear!
I realised that Tannus was the solution for me, since you always have the run flat feature.
It was no joke honestly, once I had to stop pedalling and push I became very cold, very fast. I mean shivering. No one around etc, I realised I was dangerously vulnerable to freezing to death due to the conditions.
During my Tannus research I found that a Tannus can allow much lighter casings due to the added protection/support. Also tubolito tubes can remove 100s of grams from the equation.
It is relatively easy, though a little expensive, to end up with a net weight loss against a DH tyre and sealant. It’s true, check for yourselves. Apparently handling and small bump/chatter compliance is much improved with the inserts. They also roll at least as well as a tubeless set up, better according to some testers. No need to carry tubes, pump, levers co2 etc etc. Quite compelling isn’t it? Remember they also run flat.
as you can tell, I’m sold!
Sorry this post Is long but I wanted to describe the issue i had in detail, in case anyone else could get caught short in a similar situation.
As you were.
Can you still run the tyre tubeless with the Tannus or does it need a tube to work ? Is it available for wider 2.5 tyres.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Can you still run the tyre tubeless with the Tannus or does it need a tube to work ? Is it available for wider 2.5 tyres.

A tube is still required; you need a slightly smaller one as the Tannus insert reduces the inner size of the tyre. Before buying, I asked Tannus about using them on a 2.6 tyre as on Levos and they said no issues. I've not had any problems at all.

I thought about the weight too, but it's not that different when you factor in that with tubeless, I'd carry a spare tube, pump and plugs etc. The peace of mind, convenience and confidence the inserts have given me have made them worthwhile.

kafkastan

Aug 11, 2019
Brighton, UK
Top post @Simoto123. Personally, one of the things I love most about eebs is that they get biking again folk who, through loss of strength and/or ability for some reason or another, would not otherwise be getting out and about. (BTW, I'm not necessarily commenting on your case, as I know nothing about the details beyond what you've written here.) I've a friend with MS who stopped biking, which she loved, until I suggested she go electric. She's not big on maintenance, and I've borrowed her bike recently and have been tinkering with it to make it better for her. Following your post, I've been researching and may install Tannus inserts for her. I may well do for my own bike too.

Also, in case it affects anyone else, Tannus don't currently offer Plus-size inserts, but I contacted them today and they've said Plus sizes will be available from April.

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
Not with those particular ones, you would need a tube to hold the tannus in position hard up against the walls and tread of the tyre. Without the tube the tannus would be useless. They do make a tubeless option - different design.

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
How do you like the Tannus? I just installed one in my rear tire, but haven't had a chance to ride it yet.

Tannus has been in both tyres for 2 years now with 1 puncture, which was a thorn in the sidewall somehow.

I'm also using Slime inner tubes with help too. I've pulled a couple of long thorns out close to the sidewall and seen some slime come out before fixing the hole.

It's not for everyone because of the weight, but it works for me. Farmers are cutting hedges around me now so there's lots of thorns around, but the Tannus keeps working.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles