Thinking of buying a 700Wh battery... help me decide

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
I bought a 700Wh battery and use both. I put the 700Wh in when doing long point to point rides or going for an epic day at Rotorua or Taupo - sometimes I even take the 500Wh and put that in for the late afternoon if I am on-track for 70-80km for the day.
Have the 500Wh in the bike for rides down at the local park and when I go on away jobs where I will take an hour lunch and get a ride in.
That is obviously the best solution. But also more expensive :)

Paceman

Jul 8, 2019
Brighton
I'm going to wait until the price of 700Wh batteries comes down. I would really like one but they're just too expensive right now at £1000. :cry:

Kave

Dec 9, 2018
Sweden
Thats a massive 1/3 more weight then. Not strange you notice it so well.
An s-works with 500Ah will be halfway to SL but twice the power.

yokev

Jan 26, 2020
US
I just weighted my two batteries-500wh and 700wh(I own a 2020 Kenevo).
The 500wh weighed in at 7lbs 5oz, and the 700wh weighed in at 8lbs 11oz.
Incidentally, was talking to a buddy of mine that works for a li-po battery manufacturer that makes some of these battery packs, and got some really interesting info:
Apparently ALL li-po battery systems come with an internal BMS. It's a neccesity to discharge these battery packs every so often to maintain a complete charge, and also maximize their life.
I don't know about anyone else, but my Specialized dealer told me specifically when I bought my first e-bike('17 Levo back in, uh, 2017), that the Specialized batteries do NOT need to be discharged(like we've been all taught about battery packs) and fully charged because these batteries don't have charge memory. Well, I'm told by the horse himself that they DO need to be discharged about every 10 cycles.
Furthermore, we were talking to him because another buddy's Shimano 500wh battery took a dump(seemed like dead cells), wasn't charging to 100%, and wasn't giving full power.Guess what..? He discharged it as instructed(100% dead, which apparently actually means like 5%, as the BMS won't allow a true 100% discharge), and bingo-boffo, the fricken thing returned to normal. Two days later his warranty replacement showed up, and for a minute he thought about sending it back-even with his OE batt apparently normal now, the new batt still has less cycles on it, so take the new(FREE) one for shitsake-
Anyway, Food for thought. I encourage everyone to do their own research-although I wouldn't recommend your Specialized dealer- or even Specialized for that matter- as a good source of info. The Shimano CSR didn't even know about this, and I already told you what my dealer told me back in '17.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
I just weighted my two batteries-500wh and 700wh(I own a 2020 Kenevo).
The 500wh weighed in at 7lbs 5oz, and the 700wh weighed in at 8lbs 11oz.
Incidentally, was talking to a buddy of mine that works for a li-po battery manufacturer that makes some of these battery packs, and got some really interesting info:
Apparently ALL li-po battery systems come with an internal BMS. It's a neccesity to discharge these battery packs every so often to maintain a complete charge, and also maximize their life.
I don't know about anyone else, but my Specialized dealer told me specifically when I bought my first e-bike('17 Levo back in, uh, 2017), that the Specialized batteries do NOT need to be discharged(like we've been all taught about battery packs) and fully charged because these batteries don't have charge memory. Well, I'm told by the horse himself that they DO need to be discharged about every 10 cycles.
Furthermore, we were talking to him because another buddy's Shimano 500wh battery took a dump(seemed like dead cells), wasn't charging to 100%, and wasn't giving full power.Guess what..? He discharged it as instructed(100% dead, which apparently actually means like 5%, as the BMS won't allow a true 100% discharge), and bingo-boffo, the fricken thing returned to normal. Two days later his warranty replacement showed up, and for a minute he thought about sending it back-even with his OE batt apparently normal now, the new batt still has less cycles on it, so take the new(FREE) one for shitsake-
Anyway, Food for thought. I encourage everyone to do their own research-although I wouldn't recommend your Specialized dealer- or even Specialized for that matter- as a good source of info. The Shimano CSR didn't even know about this, and I already told you what my dealer told me back in '17.

Specialized battery is not Li-Pol, it's Li-Ion Specialized M2 Series Battery | Specialized.com
And read from here how it works How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles